• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WOW, as in WOW, ever have a gun pulled during a job interview????

CanuckSigns

Even if they are illegal, it isn't going to stop the bad ones from carrying guns, all that its going to do is keep the honest ones that might have carried from carrying. Guns are tools though. Even if you don't agree with the protection argument, they are tools for that and they are tools for hunting.

Fyi, I have yet to see someone carry on the hip that wasn't a cop. 6th generation native Texan, most of my family has a carry/conceal permit and we don't carry on the hip. Violent crime goes beyond just gun ownership. It makes it easier for violent crime, but making it illegal to carry/conceal isn't going to do much.

Your areas must not be rough. I've gone through some that I wish I had an anti-tank missile.

Although, I disagree to an extent about pistols designed to kill people. I have done many hunts with a pistol. Depends on the pistol.

I fail to see how a pistol is a tool that is needed for everyday use, a hammer is a much more commonly used tool, but I don't see anyone carrying a hammer on their person every time they leave the house.

I will agree that the bad areas of town up here are nothing compared to what i have seen on some of my visits to the states.

genericname

I mean I can make explosives out of fertilizer & diesel fuel in about 20 minutes. Not that either was designed with that in mind.

In an attempt to turn this thing around from the never ending argument it seems destined to become, how about some edumacation! Did you know that most modern fertilizers are offshoots of products used in weapons manufacturing from WWI and WWII, specifically, bombs?

The more you know!

:toasting:

Last edited:

2NinerNiner2

:thread

To heck with guns, all I want to be able to do up here to buy real, genuine, made in the U.S.A Marlboro Medium 100s !!!

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 19 months a few years ago and the gun "issue" was initially a bit unnerving for me. My brother (who is a US citizen) is an avid "fan" and with his coaxing and training, got me into "it" as well. Really did enjoy using his AR-15, H&K MP5 (full auto with supressor ...yes, he bought the "stamps") and Glock 22c with LaserMax ... on the range, of course :)

Hicalibersigns

Well, this has certainly been interesting and thanks for all the input. Here is my thinking. First of all if the guy is unlicensed, and I am pretty sure he is, he committing a felony by carrying the gun on his person. Loaded or not makes no difference. Why do I suspect he is unlicensed? Because in order to become licensed in Texas you have to attend 8 hours of instruction that deals almost exclusively with legal issues. First and foremost, concealed means concealed. If he were licensed, he would not be so quick to display his weapon because he would be aware of all of the legal ramifications. We weren't carrying on an extended conversation about guns, I simply mentioned in passing that my business partner and I are both firearms enthusiasts and shoot sporting clays often. That was it.

I have my concealed carry license. I am very comfortable around firearms. However, I am very UNCOMFORTABLE around someone that doesn't respect firearms.

Just to clarify a couple of things, open carry has been illegal in Texas since 1878. Surprisingly, it is still legal in many states. New Mexico, Kansas, Nevada and several others have open carry although in Kansas and Nevada some Cities have outlawed it on a local basis, so unless you know exactly what the local ordinances are it would be unwise to open carry there.

Here is a map of where it is legal to open carry.
http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

I am thinking this is not the appropriate forum to discuss the merits or drawbacks of carrying a firearm.

General Chit-Chat Discussion of anything not related to signmaking. Humor is okay but PLEASE, no profanity, items in bad taste, religious or political topics.

WildWestDesigns

I fail to see how a pistol is a tool that is needed for everyday use, a hammer is a much more commonly used tool, but I don't see anyone carrying a hammer on their person every time they leave the house.

I will agree that the bad areas of town up here are nothing compared to wihat i have seen on some of my visits to the states.

I didn't say every day tool. I said it was a tool. My family doesn't carry everyday, but we do carry depending on what is going to be going on. Depending on what areas we are going to be going to and for what purpose.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I am thinking this is not the appropriate forum to discuss the merits or drawbacks of carrying a firearm.

then why have any discussion at all. if grown people can't discuss a fun topic that is so different based on our different locations and obviously interesting...

bring back the NHB forum, and start banning people who abuse it. simple as that.

don't have the time to moniter it, give it to me.

Hicalibersigns

then why have any discussion at all. if grown people can't discuss a fun topic that is so different based on our different locations and obviously interesting...

I have no problems with discussing the topic. In fact I am pretty passionate about my particular stance, but just trying to follow the posted rules.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

bring back the NHB forum, and start banning people who abuse it. simple as that.

don't have the time to moniter it, give it to me.

Well, I don't know about that idea as being the proper solution. I think rather than railroad this guy's thread, we should start another one on the way this one has turned and if it gets closed down... so be it, at least this guy can still have his thread unlocked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't want the wrath of Fred set upon you, unless you like bloody outcomes. He's already closed the NHB section and this one is teeter-tottering on the brink of it.... so, enter at you own risk...................

Locals Find!

Pat, I don't think you turned it into a debate on the right to bear arms. Its more a friendly debate on whether one should or should not exercise that right in their everyday lives outside of a sporting capacity.

Mason

I'm kinda on the fence on this one... how enthusiastically were you speaking about your love of firearms? Betting he thought he was sharing something that is not that unusual in your area and that you would appreciate it.

Now if he pulled the gun out, pointed at you and said "This is how I roll if ya' don't hire me..." well that would be a different story...

Bigdawg, You are the best!, I f@ckin love that answer!

Western and Central Europe homicide rate = 1.5 per 100,000 people.
USA is 6.1 per 100,000 people.
Canada is 1.85 per 100,000

a concealed knife can do much more damage than a gun..I think here in America 6.1 out of 100000 might just deserve it. (im sorry)

Either way it comes down to your enthusiasm about it, and it is Texas...He didn't point it at you or anyone else did he?
:wavingflag:

Oh please someone post something so I'm not the last person on Fred's Mind

Last edited:

skyhigh

Western and Central Europe homicide rate = 1.5 per 100,000 people.
USA is 6.1 per 100,000 people.
Canada is 1.85 per 100,000

The deceptive part of your numbers is,
5.0 per 100,000 killed in the USA were the criminal. :thumb:

God Bless the USA.

Got any figures on how many were pushed off a tall building??? :ROFLMAO:

locknload1

Don't flash it unless you're going to use it...

I live in California and I carry the same gun in the wallet that's made for it. I can't say that I would hire him however. A responsible owner might tell you about the gun but would think twice about showing it off.

grafixemporium

I don't really see the issue. He didn't do anything illegal, immoral or unethical AND you baited him into the conversation. Obviously, it's not the most appropriate topic of conversation for a job interview... but whose fault it that? Now, if you started a conversation about smoking crack and he whipped out a rock and glass pipe, I can see the issue. I don't think he showed poor judgment at all. You set the pace of the interview. He was clearly just trying to show you he's on the same page as you.

If he's the right guy for the job, then hire him. If you prefer he not carry a gun on the job, make that clear to him and all of your employees. But don't hold it against him for taking advantage of his 2nd Amendment rights... whether he's at a job interview or not.

I think you are completely wrong to assume he doesn't have a CHL. They are not difficult nor expensive to obtain in Texas. They are even easier to obtain in Florida. I'm sure you know, CHLs are reciprocal in those two (and many other) states.

If I were in your shoes, I would have simply pulled out the 380 in my top desk drawer and showed it to him.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
You should have asked to see his gun and then evaluated him on how he presents the pistol to you. If he unloads it and shows you it is unloaded he is a guy I want on my team. If not, he is a loose cannon and should not be considered.

Real gun lovers love safety!

Dave Drane

Here in Australia it was lrgal to own firearms until 1996 when a fruitcake went beserk in Tasmania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant) and the new incoming prime minister thought it would be a good idea to disarm the whole country. A period of time was nominated where you could hand in your guns and they were destroyed by the millions. Members of Rifle Clubs were allowed to keep them but had to be licensed and inspected by the police to make sure they were secured in proper cabinets. I had held on to my Crossman air rifle as I honestly believed that it was classified as a toy?? It eventually got a leak in the chamber and I took it to the local gun shop to be repaired and the guy told me to go to the police station and have it registered first!! HUH! a air rifle??doh!. No license no repair so I through it in the garbage rather than be a registered gun owner. day after day the headline news here is of people being shot to death by mainly bike gangs but many others too, so it really can never work to try to unarm the masses as was stated only criminals carry guns.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-probe-gangland-link-to-shooting-20111128-1o3ee.html