• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrap print around pan face for colored background

gnubler

My distributors don't carry the 230 any more, I guess the pricing is probably out of date, but I see I can get a yard of 3630 for $23.55 at 48" wide. All the 230 I saw was overpriced and punched.
At any rate, you'll really have to determine that yourself with vinyl in hand. Some of the translucents like 'electric blue' are damn near clear, so two layers is noticeably darker than one. I'd aim for a .5" overlap, then trim it back to where I feel comfortable. Most 3m product you could nearly butt the seams together without worry about shrinkage. I'd go for 1/16-1/8" overlap.
You're right about 230 not being carried anymore, I'm going to scrap that and go with 3630.

Is there a trick to trimming overlaps without slicing the bottom layer of vinyl?

JBurton

Signtologist
Is there a trick to trimming overlaps without slicing the bottom layer of vinyl?
You've either hit a wall, or you're about to up your skill set! Huzzah!
But really, take some scrap vinyl, stick it to some acm, snap a fresh blade and try to cut .25" strip of vinyl and peel it back. Do you see any cuts on the paint on the acm? If so, snap a new blade and try again. Gino's on the money, you aren't pressing the knife through the material, you'll be draggin it and letting the sharp edge do all the work. (this is basically 3m's certification test, knife portion, they want 3 concentric squares cut on a piece of baked enamel paint with no scratches)
Once you've mastered not cutting paint, you can lay another piece of vinyl over the first, and doing the same thing, but checking for cuts on the vinyl. It's all super easy once you train your hand to not mash the blade down like normal. It also plays hell with your brain when you go back to cutting mask + backer off the art table, as you have to press down then obviously.
Snap off blades are your friend, if you don't have one, nt cutters are my go to just for the red dot, helps me find my snapper when I drop it.

gnubler

I did this a couple years ago. I cut black strips from Oracal 751 and did the perimeter in that. Then I added the top. If I remember correctly the strips went over the curve about 1/8" and then I added the top piece.
Stacey - Did you do a wet install for the side strips? I just did a test with some 3630 translucent and got a lot of bubbles. I did it with a 30" strip, starting from the face of the sign working down the side to the edge of the panel. Seaming the corners looks like it's going to be a bit tricky as well.

The face graphics are all going to be premasked so I'm not worried about bubbles there.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Stacey - Did you do a wet install for the side strips? I just did a test with some 3630 translucent and got a lot of bubbles. I did it with a 30" strip, starting from the face of the sign working down the side to the edge of the panel. Seaming the corners looks like it's going to be a bit tricky as well.

The face graphics are all going to be premasked so I'm not worried about bubbles there.
I used regular 751 Oracal Black - so you can wet apply that, I'm guessing I didn't

gnubler

This one is kicking my butt. HELP!

I'm doing a wet install on this all the way, my first attempt laying down a section of the face turned out bad and I lost 3 yds of material.
Doing it wet yields better results, but I'm getting a lot of fluid bubbles after pulling off the premask - see pics. This is how it looks after firmly running a squeegee across the premask, then pulling off the tape slowly at a 180 degree angle. Should I be waiting for it to dry out a bit before removing? Use a roller? Use a lower tack tape? I'm using R-tape 4075 RLA with 3630 translucent film. I don't do wet installs often, any suggestions? I made my own glide solution with 32oz water and 7 drops of baby shampoo, no alcohol.

My fingers are killing me trying to work out all the bubbles. Help...

3630-wet 2.jpg 3630-wet-1.jpg

MikePro

niiice-lookin' returns!
i always wet-apply trans vinyl, & would have put blocks of 2x4's under the face so that it doesn't flex a ton while I'm working out the bubbles.
just stab the bubbles at a 45degree angle and keep moving forward.

gnubler

I read elsewhere on the forum that poking bubbles on backlit film is a no-no. Might get pin holes of light, or are they too small to be noticeable?

Good tip on the 2x4s underneath, I'll do that moving forward.

JBurton

Signtologist
Wet applies like this, I like to move outside after removing the premask and let the sun bake out some of the fluid. Pin holes in dark colors can show light, but as long as you aren't stabbing the hell out of it and tearing the vinyl, they should not be noticeable and 3630 shouldn't shrink enough to notice them later down the road. A pin tool, needle, or otherwise is slightly better than a knife, but if you're stuck with a knife, a fresh snap should suffice. Do you have some felt squeegees to chase bubbles after premask is removed?

gnubler

Do you have some felt squeegees to chase bubbles after premask is removed?
Yes, that's what I'm doing but it's just taking so much time. I figured I was doing something wrong. I'm going to try using a roller on the next strip and see if that helps.

The sign isn't going outside, it's about 30 degrees out right now.

gnubler

Some of the translucents like 'electric blue' are damn near clear, so two layers is noticeably darker than one. I'd aim for a .5" overlap, then trim it back to where I feel comfortable. Most 3m product you could nearly butt the seams together without worry about shrinkage. I'd go for 1/16-1/8" overlap.
Here's my overlap where blue meets yellow, it's about .125" all around. Is this acceptable? I put a flashlight under the polycarb to see what it looks like lit up.
I expanded my cut path by .125" and was able to register this piece dead one without having to trim.

20231213_123019.jpg 20231213_123049.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
That's perfectly acceptable, I'd rather not see a sliver of white between the yellow and blue, and the mixed color will be very hard to pick out once installed.

gnubler

Thanks for your help. One sign done, one to go. This one turned into a learning experience I wasn't expecting but am glad to have gotten.

JBurton

Signtologist
Thanks for your help. One sign done, one to go. This one turned into a learning experience I wasn't expecting but am glad to have gotten.
Here's hoping it comes back up sooner rather than later. I was just bullsh*tting with my main fab guy about a new hire. It's really hard to train folks when you're like, "here's the stud gun, this is how you use it", then 3 months later is the next time it comes up and they have no recollection of ever touching the machine.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think it looks great! If you have the time just let it outside in the sun or wait until tomorrow to poke bubbles. Most should go away.

gnubler

Signs are up, and installed in one of the few cabinets in town that actually lights up nice and bright at night. They turned out really nice and the customer was pleased.
Thanks everyone for all the help on this one, it was a good challenge.

20231216_150859.jpg 20240101_150606.jpg