• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A little rant

inthesignbiz

Customers that do their own design work drive me crazy.

The guy wants his yard and magnetic signs EXACTLY the way
he sent it.

Uhm, no.

I hate to turn down the work, but I don't want our shop
associated with making them.

Reputation is hard to build and easy to destroy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a picture..... pretty please.... with a cherry on top.............??

I can't say I rememebr ever turning a client away for this reason. I know I already got close, but always managed to find a way to talk 'em out of their monstrosity.

inthesignbiz

Here is what he designed in Word.

This is for a magnetic sign.

Attachments

• sa.jpg
    sa.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 33

SignManiac

I routinely turn down client art that does not meet my high standard of design. This is why I stay very busy and can afford to turn less than stellar crap away.

Mosh

I have so many customers like this it isn't even funny. That FB address is AWESOME!!!

TammieH

That's worse than the "My 13 year old son/daughter is an artist, I have the artwork already"....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, if he wasn't willing to budge and consider something you could create far better, then I'd just tell him........ $375.+ tax for the 2 magnetics and $86.50 each for 18" x 24" 2 sided yard signs based on 10. If he goes for that, send him up to me and I'll do 'em......... :Big Laugh

WCSign

I have so many customers like this it isn't even funny. That FB address is AWESOME!!!
Yeah huh!!

Yeah, if he wasn't willing to budge and consider something you could create far better, then I'd just tell him........ $375.+ tax for the 2 magnetics and $86.50 each for 18" x 24" 2 sided yard signs based on 10. If he goes for that, send him up to me and I'll do 'em......... :Big Laugh
Man ill do em for $374 and you can make a dollar lol

Jillbeans

It's ugly for sure...but if he would go for the price I'd quote, I'd make his signs.
I just wouldn't tell anybody.
Love....Jill

rjssigns

If the quote is accepted do the job. I realize we all have standards, but standards don't feed me or heat the house.

inthesignbiz

If the quote is accepted do the job. I realize we all have standards, but standards don't feed me or heat the house.

That is true.

However, a few years ago, I had the same kind of guy come in with business cards he
had designed. He wanted magnetic signs EXACTLY like his card.

I counted at least 5 misspelled words and said that I would be happy to correct them.

He said EXACTLY like my card.

The first time someone pointed out to him that he had misspelled words on his sign, who do you suppose would get the blame? Certainly not him.

Sent him on his way too.

Techman

take the money and run. Reputation be damed.. It doesn't matter.
I promise you the guy will brag he designed them himself.

Biker Scout

Nope, first outside criticism he gets on his sign, he'll blame shift. "Well, Sign Biz down the street made them, and I think they overcharged me too... those $#&^@#$%!"

Seriously, if you can't throw at least a palm tree on the side, some bolder fonts, important info standing out in 10 minutes or less, to at least show him an option... and he still says no, then tell him to walk. Go all cliché on him, give him island fonts and a sunset inside an oval.

I have a very distinct style I use for clients just like this. Takes me no time at all... I group them all together under an umbrella term I call the "F U Triangle" logo design. I know you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I consider it the most lazy, dated design element in a logo. A background triangle connecting a series of words and tagline together to form a logo. I hate it, but it's funny how clients with no taste or vision love it. Takes 30 seconds. It might have been cool in 1986. There are dozens of other layout faux pas that are still used today... like the half circle swoosh... another one of those things I group into the "F U Triangle" folder of fall backs for people who let their nephews design in publisher and MS paint. I refuse to allow the customer to be right when I'm the professional they came to in the first place. The client should allow you to do your job, so he can get on with his.

(Here's a couple from the "F U Triangle" folder. When they have no idea what they want or have something from bista print as their "logo" and clearly can't pay for a real logo)

Attachments

• F-U-Logos.png
    F-U-Logos.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Techman

Well, Sign Biz down the street made them, and I think they overcharged me too... those $#&^@#$%!"

Irrelevant. We never fear the words of a bad reference. All references good or bad is all good. Let them threat all they want. Let them talk bad all they want. If our bizz model is strong it will not matter.
Snobbery will get us no where. If someone is making low cost signs especially magnetics then a bad report is hardly anything worry about. I've gotten a few bad reports myself over the years. I really do not care one minute about an occasional negative client.

I've known people in business for 30 years and all of them are doing just fine in spite of an occasional butt head client. Well except the one caught with a sheep. :omg:

One I knew was in trouble with the law every few months, He never missed a beat in his bizz..

player

Why not print "designed by: Customer's Name" on the signs. Then they can't get around the fact they are the ones responsible...

visual800

when I get **** like this I make ONE ATTEMPT to help them, if they do not take it or listen they can walk. It got nothing to do with money, or pride its got everything to do with helping them get a sign that is readable. I tell clients how it is and I dont care. I do a side by side layout and if they insist on theirs they walk or get referred to a shop that doesnt GAS who or what they print

"Deposit Please"

Oh, I've seen much much much worse. I even had a hair designer tell me she thinks she can do graphic design because both fields are sooo similar.
Everyone's a graphic designer these days..so they think.

inthesignbiz

It's not snobbery so much as it is I just hate doing work for jerks
that think they know stuff that they don't.

When we first started, I chased soccer stickers. Whatever it took.
Now, I have more than I can keep up with.
All of our customers are fabulous and now are our friends too.

Just have no time for boneheads.

To be fair to the guy, this is what I submitted to him before he copped an attitude.
Not at all thrilled with it, but it keeps the basics of his design - just laid out better.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 52

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, first outside criticism he gets on his sign, he'll blame shift. "Well, Sign Biz down the street made them, and I think they overcharged me too... those $#&^@#$%!"

Seriously, if you can't throw at least a palm tree on the side, some bolder fonts, important info standing out in 10 minutes or less, to at least show him an option... and he still says no, then tell him to walk. Go all cliché on him, give him island fonts and a sunset inside an oval.

I have a very distinct style I use for clients just like this. Takes me no time at all... I group them all together under an umbrella term I call the "F U Triangle" logo design. I know you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I consider it the most lazy, dated design element in a logo. A background triangle connecting a series of words and tagline together to form a logo. I hate it, but it's funny how clients with no taste or vision love it. Takes 30 seconds. It might have been cool in 1986. There are dozens of other layout faux pas that are still used today... like the half circle swoosh... another one of those things I group into the "F U Triangle" folder of fall backs for people who let their nephews design in publisher and MS paint. I refuse to allow the customer to be right when I'm the professional they came to in the first place. The client should allow you to do your job, so he can get on with his.

(Here's a couple from the "F U Triangle" folder. When they have no idea what they want or have something from bista print as their "logo" and clearly can't pay for a real logo)

Unless I missed something in your essay, that's just as ugly and completely illegible.