• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

and again. the failure known as Flexi shows it's true colors

DPD

Have you tried the free flexi support? Don't bother. Tried two times, got two basic questions and then no response.

I think SAI makes it's money selling support contracts.

iSign

It's a shame these people who can't get their purchases running choose to run their mouth all the time instead of remaining professional and persevering to achieve their goals without the drama.

Matthew, I've seen you helping people out on these boards for years, so allow me to thank you for that.

I'd call you, but Flexi works perfectly for me every day. In all honesty, I just upgraded to 8.5, and there are a few hiccups, which was to be expected, and was exactly the reason I didn't buy it back when we spoke about it a year ago... but with 240 hours of trial use before relinquishing my 7.6 key, I'm just enjoying the luxury of running 7.6 while I work through the adjustment period. Advantage Sign Supply is providing us with excellent tech support, but if I need a second opinion, thanks for offering.

Matthew Scher

There is a free upgrade to 8.6 available, if you want a copy email me and I will send you a link to download it. The 8.6 fixes some issues that existed in 8.5.

Here is a list of fixes that are in 8.6:
Fixed a crash that could occur when printing with a template.
ICC Profiles have been reconverted to produce more vibrant colors.
Improved error handling of X-Rite IO spectrophotometer.
Softproof button added to the standard toolbar
Support for restricted user
Fixed a crash when using Google Pinyin Input Method
Contour cutting no longer cuts unidirectionally
Join Points / Align Points are now based on which points are selected when tool is used.
Negative print now works for EPS files
Gerber Edge no longer prints inverted registration mark
Gerber Edge now installs ICC profiles and prints with correct default angled screen settings for optimal results.
Underbase no longer prints solid under entire drawing
Acrobat updated to 9.x
Better alignment of contour cut copies
Network SHK key can be detected if you have up to 100 key servers running (previous limit was 10)
Fixes a crash in break apart that could occur when you turn on the preview when loading in Preferences
Contour paths in masks can now be recognized by RIP and Print.
Clicking to start a new arc text will no longer freeze.
Demo version no longer can send RIP jobs to a remote PM of a non-demo version.
Contour cut marks are no longer mirrored with the job.
Contour cutting now more accurately handles the layout of multiple copies.
True Shape Nesting now works properly with groups.
Roland VersaCAMM can now detect crop marks on a hybrid job.
Mimaki: Sending a test print or cleaning will no longer give an error message.
Mimaki JF added white ink support
Preset converter no longer truncates the filename.
Job properties no longer defaults to basic mode.
ReadPrinter/WritePrinter applications removed from installer. These files were erroneously detected as viruses by some systems.

P

ProWraps™

im really suprised at people having troubles with flexi. its worked flawless for us save a few vista errors.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It seems pretty obvious to me the os101king has an unstable system, a faulty install or a software or hardware conflict of some kind. Many of his posts seem intent on knocking a program that thousands of users runs on a daily basis without such problems. I would hope that others reading threads such as this would keep that in mind.

It seems pretty obvious to me the os101king has an unstable system, a faulty install or a software or hardware conflict of some kind. Many of his posts seem intent on knocking a program that thousands of users runs on a daily basis without such problems. I would hope that others reading threads such as this would keep that in mind.

Been running Flexi for years..

Looks like its a user/crappy computer error with os101king.

gabagoo

I understand the Kings frustration and it may very well be his system causing the problems. When we first started digital printing Flexi Photoprint is the software that I purchased with my printer and we also purchased a brand new more than enough power and memory computer which would solely be used to run the printer. Almost 6 months in and numerous calls to our dealer about error 10's on our Mimaki were constantly blamed on the firewire and the computer. That in itself is frustrating for those of us who run lean shops and are not only learning as we go but must meet unrealistic deadlines placed upon us by customers. Flexi came with 3 month support which I used and it was SAI who actually told me to download a newer version of the software from their site. It was my dealer who didn't wan't me to install the new version saying that they had not tested it and it may not be reliable. 2 differing opinions and one frustrated sign guy is not a good thing. Finally I told my tech guy from the dealer to get azz in and load this new software and test it. Never an error 10 again!!! For me SAI had come through and fixed an annoying problem....it was the dealer and technical support from them that caused the frustration issues for me. Hang in there King and do with Flexi what you know it can handle and stay away from the problem area until you have figured it out. I suppose it helps to have lots of other software you can jump to if one fails to meet the needs... ie Corel, illustrator, signlab etc...

Matthew Scher

The list price of the upgrade is $195 to $395 based on what level Flexi you have. SAi doesn't sell direct, so contact your sign supplier and they can quote you an exact price.

ahollow

I've been using 7.6v2 for over 2 years, running on a Dell laptop, with no software problems (and most others have been user problems). SW even shipped me the 8.0 upgrade for free, but everything works to my needs, so I never got around to install it.

PMG

i just upgrades to 8.6 and the only issue i seen so far is the heater setting revert back to default every time,,SW said they are aware of the issues and are in communication with SAI on that issue. to get around it every time i go to print i have to open PM and click on my preset i have saved.

DPD

Matt, if your're talking about the lack of tech support which I mentioned then thanks but it's way too late. The flexi issues I have are obscure and I don't come up against them very often. But... Thanks, it's appreciated.

I'm not the original thread starter but if you don't mind then I will complain. And.... I'll complain loudly. Not because I don't know how to handle the software but because the customer and/or tech support stinks. SAI takes the motto "free" tech support to it's rightful conclusion. You get what you pay for. See, I'm an understanding person.

Also, if maybe Matt relates the complaints to SAI it could improve the software or service and make it so Matt doesn't need to be involved.

Don't confuse downing the program with frustration about the tech support group. I realize Matt makes money selling the software and does the best he can. I also realize all software has bugs in it.

The original thread had to do with a crash in a particular function and he was sounding off in frustration. Yes, he should've called tech support and they probably would've told him to "clear preferences" or reinstall the program because it sounds like one of the dll's is corrupt or missing entirely.

But never should someone just assume that they don't have the wherewithal to handle the program and suffer in silence. I've already complained via email to SAI about their tech support and you know what I got for an answer:

What you missed what they said. That's because there was no response.

Sorry for the long-winded response but I get ticked when someone who has no handle on an issue that someone else is facing chimes in with wise-a** remarks. Either help or direct the person to someone that can help. Don't tell him that he just doesn't know what he's doing with the software.

os101king, either work with Matt or try tech support and let us know how you made out. I'd really be curious if "free tech support" will be able to diagnose your issue other than what I've told you. And... if I"m correct then an upgrade as Matt has suggested will also fix your issue because the corrupted / missing dll will be replaced during the upgrade.

Matt, if I complain it's because I'm trying to make flexi a better product because it's what I depend upon for my business. It does a lot of great things for me and it is the core of my business.

ChristianSlager

Well,
I emailed Matt today about wanting to upgrade from 8.5v1 to the latest release, and I got a response in minutes. He sent me the link to the download, but due to an issue with my antivirus software (AVG) the installer did not want to unzip completely and thus did not want to install. Matt linked up to my computer and fixed the issue, and installed everything and made sure everything was working properly. All I can go on is experience, and every one that I have had with SAI has been wonderful. And remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar....

iSign

I get ticked when someone who has no handle on an issue that someone else is facing chimes in with wise-a** remarks. Either help or direct the person to someone that can help. Don't tell him that he just doesn't know what he's doing with the software.
I get ticked when I have a place like this where I have been getting quality & reliable & professional assistance for many many years, both by other users & the many high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives who I've come into contact with...

...but then some windbags come in ON A REGULAR BASIS and trash talk the programs that work flawlessly for hundreds of us on a daily basis.

Why do I get ticked? ...Because some day, all these high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives might just get sick of logging on to help us, only top get shat on by the clueless few.

Border

I agree, this one has to be an isolated issue.
And we don't say that because of this post, but because he has been making these same complaints for at least a year now I think.

Give us some more info on your system or what you have done to rule out the computer you have it installed on at least.

rdm01

I see both sides of this really. On one hand, there are plenty of people
successfully using Flexi without problems. Some see it as a great program
with just a few problems. But there are a fair amount of people dissatisfied
with it. Fortunately there is someone on this same board who is always
there to chime it.

That is really nice, but on the other hand, I have had a fair amount of
frustration to. There are times where something as simple as changing the
color of an object, of the font of text will cause the program to just crash
without warning, or some times a little warning (you get a window that tells
you it is going to close).

Could it be that there is a conflict on my machine, yeah, but it is less than
a year old, and treated very nice. Perhaps there wasn't enough research to
see where these conflicts arise.

PMG

I get ticked when I have a place like this where I have been getting quality & reliable & professional assistance for many many years, both by other users & the many high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives who I've come into contact with...

..but then some windbags come in ON A REGULAR BASIS and trash talk the programs that work flawlessly for hundreds of us on a daily basis.

Why do I get ticked? ...Because some day, all these high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives might just get sick of logging on to help us, only top get shat on by the clueless few.
Doug this quote is coming from a Pc builder to the sign industry ......he builds sign Pc and here are his words on flexi..........I wish the guys that have Flexi running perfect on their system would sell their secret to the rest of us....or tell flexi the secret....hell could be worth millions.
Tec? Are you serious? Flexi has had and still does have problems. Granted, not all of users' problems are software related, but Flexi is not (and never has been) perfect. Just recently, the problem with 8.5v1 was so widespread that printer manufacturers wouldn't even give out the newest (at the time) version of Flexi because they didn't want the issues. They ended up giving out an older version that was more stable. We saw problems across the board with our computers and other manufacturers. Production Manager was shutting down for no apparent reason, on brand new computers. This was a known issue as I discussed it with several SAI employees.

That being said, it appears that the guys over at SAI got it figured out. With the release of v2, we are not hearing near as many horror stories. They generally put out good stuff. Everyone has issues at one time or another. At least is looks like they got it figured out, this time.