• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

and again. the failure known as Flexi shows it's true colors

Just Me

I have had really no issues with my flexi (knock on wood) but had a friend upgrade from 8.1 to 8.5 several months ago and has nothing but nightmares from it, tech support from the company wasn't very good either. I really dont see the need to upgrade all the time if what you have works for what you need. If it aint broke..dont fix it!:thumb:

gabagoo

I have had really no issues with my flexi (knock on wood) but had a friend upgrade from 8.1 to 8.5 several months ago and has nothing but nightmares from it, tech support from the company wasn't very good either. I really dont see the need to upgrade all the time if what you have works for what you need. If it aint broke..dont fix it!:thumb:

Ihave Flexi for printing but I still do 90% or more of my designing in Signlab 5...why? Because I know it well . I also have Signlab 8 and I am having a heck of a time getting used to it and it to like Flexi will just hang and I believe it has to do with possibly to many bells and whistles. For instance it has some eye candy features and I have yet to accomplish much with it as it generally will hang or just not perform the function. I just stay away from those operations and use them only when I am screwing around and not expecting them to deliver for any given job at the moment. With time it may iron itself out.

Color Dude

It's really amazing how many people will keep fueling the fire on a simple post. Matthew, I have worked with you for several years at a company I recently resigned from. You & Terri have always been right there to help me during my technical support days and I truly appreciate it.

I think to many people miss the main issue here, I see so many people bashing the crap out of Flexi and what it does when they are trying some obscene method to produce a file. What about complaining to Bill Gates? Microsoft is the main intinty to blame here. Vista is said to be this great operating system and blah blah blah. SAi is just like any other software manufacturer, they try their best to keep up, and yes it takes end-users to help beta test products because the software creators use the software like it is supposed to be used, it is the end-user that will try crazy stuff and then when something fails out its the end-users obligation to post or call about that particular problem. I performed tech support on Flexi products for 5 solid years and heard my share of issues. I applaud Matt for what he does, but in the grand scheme of things it all comes back to MS and their constant changes aswell as MAC to that are to blame.

If the end-users would be patient and helpful, things would get resolved and we would then have a stable program to run that does all of the great things it is suppose to. Nothing is perfect without testing, and yes the end-user has always been the guineau pigs when it comes down to it. I run Flexi on XP and choose to not provide anymore money to help Bill Gates prosper any further. I can say this my Flexi is current and I use it everyday for hours at a time with seriously no issues. I also reboot my computer twice a day to make sure that there is no corrupted information being stuck in the system. I would be lieing if I said that I have never had an issue with Flexi, but I would also not be lieing to say that I do produce some pretty crazy designs and hardly ever face any issues like I see posted in this forum.

My 2cents doesnt matter and most likely will receive a few bashers, but I have come accept that here on Signs101.

Happy Thanksgiving to All

DPD

Again you've exagerrated

I get ticked when I have a place like this where I have been getting quality & reliable & professional assistance for many many years, both by other users & the many high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives who I've come into contact with...

My response:
Hey, if it works for you great. Most tech support engineers are low-level engineers and know very little about the actual code-base that runs the application. They may be computer programmers but they are not responsible for the code base. It takes years to understand the code base of major applications. No one starts at the top.

I do agree that I get good advice on signmaking here but I think we're really talking about tech support of software vendors.

...but then some windbags come in ON A REGULAR BASIS and trash talk the programs that work flawlessly for hundreds of us on a daily basis.

My response:
First off you should keep insulting statements (windbags) off this bbs. Insults are used as bullying when there is no case to make.

Now to your point:

You've got to be kidding! Flawlessly for hundreds on a daily basis! How in the world does a software program running on an operating system which has it's own bugs in it run flawlessly? Where do you get your software expertise from? Some Java code, maybe some HTML from your website? Do you really understand what makes an operating system tick?

Why do I get ticked? ...Because some day, all these high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives might just get sick of logging on to help us, only top get shat on by the clueless few.

My response:
First off high-level software developers for Flexi are not to be found on a regular basis on this forum. Second, high-level developers don't answer support calls. Third, technical support in most cases understands function and not the code base of the application. They train on your dime and time. Once your problem is accepted they begin to review possible solutions, workarounds, and possibly some of the code base. Fourth, manufacturer reps can only say "upgrade" or "bug-fix" when they should be reporting the problem to the high-level developers. Fifth, if the attitude of any retailer - software or otherwise - is to respond to a complaint with non-support then they don't belong in business.

Let me be clear that I am no longer talking about Flexi (SAI). I'm responding to software problems in general regardless of the application. Also, you may want to note that I did this without resorting to insults.

Tharnpheffa

I had to reload 7.0 once because of issues several years ago but aside from that I'm quite pleased with Flexi in general. 8.5 is working great for me, I'm in it all day long working with large files. I think it's an impressive program.

iSign

quote=iSign:I get ticked when I have a place like this where I have been getting quality & reliable & professional assistance for many many years, both by other users & the many high level software developers, technical support agents & other manufacturer representatives who I've come into contact with...

My response:
Hey, if it works for you great. Most tech support engineers are low-level engineers and know very little about the actual code-base that runs the application. They may be computer programmers but they are not responsible for the code base. It takes years to understand the code base of major applications. No one starts at the top.

I do agree that I get good advice on signmaking here but I think we're really talking about tech support of software vendors.

quote=iSign;..but then some windbags come in ON A REGULAR BASIS and trash talk the programs that work flawlessly for hundreds of us on a daily basis.

My response:
First off you should keep insulting statements (windbags) off this bbs. Insults are used as bullying when there is no case to make.

Now to your point:

You've got to be kidding! Flawlessly for hundreds on a daily basis! How in the world does a software program running on an operating system which has it's own bugs in it run flawlessly? Where do you get your software expertise from? Some Java code, maybe some HTML from your website? Do you really understand what makes an operating system tick?

My response:
First off high-level software developers for Flexi are not to be found on a regular basis on this forum. Second, high-level developers don't answer support calls. Third, technical support in most cases understands function and not the code base of the application. They train on your dime and time. Once your problem is accepted they begin to review possible solutions, workarounds, and possibly some of the code base. Fourth, manufacturer reps can only say "upgrade" or "bug-fix" when they should be reporting the problem to the high-level developers. Fifth, if the attitude of any retailer - software or otherwise - is to respond to a complaint with non-support then they don't belong in business.

Let me be clear that I am no longer talking about Flexi (SAI). I'm responding to software problems in general regardless of the application. Also, you may want to note that I did this without resorting to insults.

judging from your enviable post creation prowess, I will defer to you on all this high end code stuff :ROFLMAO:

SignBurst PCs

Here is an idea...

Learn to use photoshop and illustrator then you don't need flexi....

I have to admit, Flexi has its problems (as does most software). I have seen small problems and I have seen BIG (widespread) issues with different versions. It does many things well, but it gets "quirky".

But, I love this idea.... If it doesn't work for you, try something else.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My response:

Just for the record ... Matthew Scher was the product manager for FlexiSign and probably sees code in his sleep. His help and offers of help to Signs 101 members has be first rate. And he's not the only one. Tony Teveris with Gerber Scientific Products is the senior software engineer for Omega and has gone out of his way many times to help members here and at 4EdgeTalk.com.

Among our members and merchants we're also fortunate to have any number of experts and near experts on a variety of technical topics.

Last edited:

Color Dude

Whats there to think over? I dont have any customers that send me Corel or Flexi files, they send me Adobe files, in which I can easily import into my Flexi program. Most of the time I instruct my customers how to save files properly so that they can be either imported into Flexi or directly dropped into the PM. Its a great thing to have a program that is so verse that one program is actually all you need to run your sign shop.

Nice point BTW Fred!! Its amazing what can be accomplished if we work together instead of against one another. Not every persons learning capabilities are like the other, thats why I love helping on here, and I also learn alot, by just reading.

Look how long I have been a member and I just barely broke 100 post.

SignBurst PCs

I am in no way trying to "bash" Flexi.

I am simply disagreeing with the posters that say that Flexi doesn't have any issues and it must be the computer or user that is in error.

We see issues on brand new computers with brand new installs. There was a point at which it became a major problem for us. It was resolved fairly quickly as updates and upgrades were released.

bbeens

Fred-

I'm not a paid member, and I don't post that much but I read quite a bit of the posts here. I am the team lead for support at Wasatch. I try to jump in when I can be of help. As for looking at code, I think that is a moot point. If you understand a product as well as a good support technician you should be more useful to an end user than most developers (not that I am bad mouthing any dev team member out there!).

Bryan

Color Dude

Bryan:

I think Wasatch has come along way with their rip. I have been fortunate enough to run some test with it and I have to say that it is very impressive so far.

One thing I dont like is how the contour cutting option is a payable upgrade. But that is the way business is run these days.

Good job so far, it really prints awesome in my opinion.

Sublimefly

I have to say I've had a good share of problems with the different flexi versions, but version 8.6 is by far a different breed. Now thats not to say it doesn't have its problems (i.e. lays down too much ink with not liniarization tool anymore unless you have a digital calibrator as well as some small hiccups) Now I hear everyone say SAI service is great, and they had been in the past. When I called to figure out the new how to adjust my ink flow they were pretty much useless. I talked to 3 different people and not one of them was someone I had spoken to before as well as not even knowing what the liniarization tool was. I imagine I miss spelled that a few times there sorry spelling police. I have to say that flexi service has definetly dropped off in the last year to being almost none existant in my book. Sorry SAI......

SignsOfMaine

We´ve been stuck on an older flexi, 7.something, for a while, and it´s worked well on an aging PC. Occasionally it will crash if I run flexi, photoshop and illustrator at the same time, and that´s strictly a memory issue (most of the time, it´s illustrator that dies first). I think flexi problems will boil down to -
a. memory
b. vista
or c. other programs running at the same time that it doesn´t play well with, especially if it´s a computer that has been generally loaded down with unnecessary junk (i.e. most dells and hps straight out of the factory)

I wouldn´t listen to anyone who says scrap it... first because it´s like a zillion dollars =) So you don´t want to waste that investment. But also because it does a LOT of little things better than illustrator and photoshop. When I first came to my sign shop I clung to my photoshop and illustrator (and I´m very fluent with them, I can work pretty fast)... but after experimenting a bit with flexi there are so many ways it´s more logical and less clunky that I fell right in love with it. Now I wish I could afford to bring it home with me.

Not saying use it instead of those tools... photoshop is better at pure photo alteration, and illustrator is better for pure vector drawing. But to actually design signs and move elements around, apply frames and borders, align text and objects, etc... flexi is silky smooth. They´re 3 separate tools for 3 different jobs, and you´d be hosing yourself to try to work without it.

Kswift

Im just trying to learn how to use flexi. I have used illustrator and photoshop and corel for years and i see some similar functions on all programs but yet im still a lil confused in flexi. I do love how the editing in flexi is very much (ie outlining text in incredible) in flexi. I would love some flexi help if anyone is willing to offer it as i am new to digital media and sign making coming from screenprinting. Flexi Imo is not worth 4k but it could be worth that much if it taught people how to use it from the get go and not have to rely on forums to teach newbies whats up.

luggnut

the flexi that cost several grand or so has built in RIP software that is very good... and most stand alone RIPs don't have any design capabilties will cost thousands.

That said i do most designing in Photoshop or illy and then RIP or cut from flexi. but flexis node editing , font preview, outline effect, stripe effect... i really like