• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone tried hypnosis...?

GoodPeopleFlags

...for quitting smoking? I think it would work for me, and I think that's a big part of it. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and if it worked.

How would I go about finding a reputable hypnotist?

njsigns

I quit smoking using the electronic cigarette. I know several people (including my father) who saw a hypnotist and didn't quit smoking...

Gene

petepaz

my wife and her friend did it $300 + some vitamins and they both still smoke but it was guaranteed and neither of them went back. i can't answer if it works or not for sure but i think it depends on the person/personality and you have to really want to quit

showcase 66

My great aunt smoked for 51 years and tried everything to quit. There is a very well known doctor here that also does hypnosis for smoking. Before he works with you he tells you that you that even though hypnosis is working with your subconscious, not all people are susceptible to it and to really stop smoking, you have to really want to. The hypnosis is not intended to get you to quit smoking. It is intended to curb your mental triggers for smoking.

My great aunt has been smoke free for almost 2 years now and with out the help of the hypnosis, she would still be smoking.

SignManiac

It never worked for me either when I tried quitting. For two weeks I was involuntarily walking around and clucking like a chicken though.

I finally got fed up and decided enough was enough. Cold turkey from 3 packs a day. That was eleven years, six months and twenty days ago at midnight New Years Eve.

WrapperX

If you want to quit smoking you should just do it. It is really a matter of mind over matter. make the choice - show a little back bone and control yourself - don't give in to the easy and tuff it out. Nothing is going to quit the habit "for you" its a mental decision to control your own behavior.

GoodPeopleFlags

I'm not a heavy smoker; a pack lasts about a day and a half. Except when I have a few beers then I smoke alot more. I only have a few beers 1 - 2 nights a week.

I've wanted to *want* to quit for years but I didn't want to badly enough. Now I do. When I have a few too many beers and feel like crap the next day, the thought of smoking is disgusting. It doesn't even cross my mind to have one. If my mind can make me feel like that sometimes, then it can all the time, and that's why I think hypnosis would work for me.

From last Sunday to Thursday, I only had 3 smokes. The cravings were there but I didn't give in except those 3 times. Friday, I drank a couple of beers and had 5 smokes. Saturday, I went to a party and bought a pack. Those are gone and I haven't smoked since Saturday night. I don't even want to. But I know I will eventually. I *want* to be a nonsmoker! I have a girl that's 4 yrs old. My mom died when she was 42 from lung cancer. I was 19. I'm 41 now. I want to be around to watch my girl grow up. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I quit smoking April 15th, 1985. So did my wife. She wanted to quit and had a goal. Me ?? I enjoyed it and sometimes to this day.... think about it, but never have the urge to light one up anymore. My wife tried several things, including acupuncture, but never hypnosis. Like mentioned, nothing will work until you truly believe you want to quit. I quit 'Cold Turkey' while she went to a clinic.

I know of a few people that tried the hypnosis path, and it didn't work for any of them. If you think of it as a way to break a habit for you and you want the crutch to solve your problem, it won't happen. Save your money. Wait until you find a reason to quit and then quit.

WrapperX

Ok Blue - If you want to make moves torward quiting and quiting for good - you can try the cold turkey thing but if you're a person with addictive habits then you probably won't have any luck going cold turkey. You'll get crabby and feel affects of "withdrawl" and you'll just fall back into it for the sake of feeling uncomfortable. BUT it sounds to me like you have a good reason to stop. So try this - Write down all the times you typically feel the urge to smoke - For me it was when I drove my car, when I was getting out of classes during college, when my roommate was bored (we'd go out to the dormatory stoop and smoke and look at the girls walking by) breaks at work, Drinking - OH man this was a big one. I would go through a pack everytime I went to the bar - this was also when you could smoke in Bars and Resteraunts. So when I realized that I was smoking ALOT I decided I needed to cut back for $ reasons - ironically cigs were only $3.00 or something back then - this was like 10 years ago btw - So what I did was figured on the times when it would be the hardest for me to not smoke and gave in to that. Like when I was hanging out with my roommate or out drinking - which was alot but the times when I was alone like driving in my car, going to class, at work etc I decided to stop smoking in the car. Then over time I stopped bringing them with me out of the house (unless I was going to the bar) However the big one for me was not being able to smoke in a bar. During to summer it was no big deal we would just drink in the garden but then the winter hit and it was too damn cold to smoke outside so then I had 4 months of winter to basically get used to not smoking while drinking.

And this all happened over the course of maybe 3 years - from the time I decided that I needed to spend my money better to the time that I stopped buying ciggerettes all together. Realistically you just need to make the decision and stick with it. And if you want to quit then quit! It really is that simple. And it sounds like you have a great reason to give it up. I'll be 100% honest with you though, not smoking while drinking was probably the only time that I EVER was really bothered by not being able to smoke. But over time it goes away and you just get over it.

GoodPeopleFlags

I've gotten passed the "lighting up as soon as I get in the car" trigger. I've been borrowing a car and can't smoke in it. We can still smoke in bars around here, but I don't really go out. Usually my friends end up gathering at my house (when my girl is at grandad's) and we hang outside. Other than when I'm drinking, I've noticed that I get strong cravings when I'm stressed so I bought some gum and got through some crazy stressful moments.

I can do this! May have to quit drinking, tho. That's ok. I'm also trying to diet. I was one evil person to be around last week! EEK!

CheapVehicleWrap

Laser is THE ONLY WAY. 90% effective in US, almost 100% in the UK. I did it 3 times. I can spend $300 and walk out not thinking of a cigarette, gain weigh etc for 6 months to a year (or in my case until tragedy strikes again). I've sent about a dozen people who have all quite for good over the year.

Same technique as weight loss except that is only 50% effective.

There are few things I stand behind and the laser is in the tops.

sfr table hockey

OK I don't offer this often and never for free but here it goes.

Step 1: Look at the screen and focus on one spot and have someone say in a deep voice " you are getting sleepyyyyyy you will fall asleep......... you will remember nothing when you wake...."

Step 2: Have them hit you on the back of the head real hard and then see if you remember that you smoked....

Step 3: If that did not work repeat step 2.

The other option is the new patch...... that goes over the mouth..... that too works for loosing weight. Not recomended for more than a month at a time...

CheapVehicleWrap

If it takes 3.333 laser treatments to quit, then no, I don't see the irony...

The treatment is up to 3 visits.

The first time I did 2. The second time I did 1. The third time I did it to myself once using a chiroprator's laser he only uses for pain (which he let me do for free).

I lasted a year, 6 months and 1 month. Not a thought in between. Not a thought.

You can ALWAYS go back to smoking for ANY reason. It also doesn't help knowing you can quit anytime.

What I'm saying is every time I went I instantly removed the urge, thoughts etc. permanently. I'm a 2-3 pack a day (100's) smoker. The reason I smoked after those times are irrelevant. A smoker, alcholic, herion addict can return at anytime during the remainder of their life for any reason. The important thing is the removal of withdrawal and the the constant thoughts of smoking. It REALLY works.

Mosh

It works, until you have a meltdown and your babymama trys to kill you then you smoke more than ever....just saying...or the US government floods your whole way of life out to save some fish....or to have some tourismn upstream....my eyes are starting to bleedd so this rant is OVER!!!

Custom_Grafx

The treatment is up to 3 visits.

The first time I did 2. The second time I did 1. The third time I did it to myself once using a chiroprator's laser he only uses for pain (which he let me do for free).

I lasted a year, 6 months and 1 month. Not a thought in between. Not a thought.

You can ALWAYS go back to smoking for ANY reason. It also doesn't help knowing you can quit anytime.

What I'm saying is every time I went I instantly removed the urge, thoughts etc. permanently. I'm a 2-3 pack a day (100's) smoker. The reason I smoked after those times are irrelevant. A smoker, alcholic, herion addict can return at anytime during the remainder of their life for any reason. The important thing is the removal of withdrawal and the the constant thoughts of smoking. It REALLY works.

That's pretty cool. I've never known anyone who did laser treatment.

You are very right... it's about making the withdrawal more bearable.

I recommend that book to anyone though... it gives you some very good logic to fight such a pointless addiction (all are) in times of weakness.

The first time I read it, I went back to smoking again after around 3 or 4 weeks. About 1 year later, I really wanted to stop again... so I read it again, and that time, it worked ... for 3 years... and counting.

We have a lot of stop smoking campaigns here on television and print... ugly photos of diseases and stuff. When I was a smoker I used to diss them and say... that's not gonna make me stop... makes me wanna smoke more actually.

But now that I have quit, it's those very commercials which help me feel better about my decision to quit, and are probably more responsible than I give them credit for, in helping me to stay smoke free. So, I don't diss them any more.

I was a minimum 30-40 a day smoker, for almost 10 years.