• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bit of a problem

Flubber

Ok my boss is having me do a partial on a race car yes I know sounds easy well, he said he is not going to use wrap film also no laminate! So I'm having to use cheap oracal print media with masking tape I'm guessing. We are wrapping the hood and front fenders oh and by the way I have never wrapped anything using this type of vinyl much less I never even wrapped a car the only thing I have wrapped wither oracal rapid air was my laptop. Can a pro pleaseeee help me with some pointers.

thmooch

There will be no savings by using inferior material with no lam. This job will take you 2-3 times longer to install when you could be more profitable doing other work. This can be subbed out if not wanting to buy the proper materials and have them sit on the floor until the next vehicle job comes around.

Flubber

I agree with both of you but, well if you knew my boss you would see what my problem is. First off he is only charging $300 for the job bc the customer says he can get a full wrap for $400 i dnt know where that price came from but thats what I was told. Second my boss just says "oh its just a race car he is going to wreck it anyways" so the way i see it is I get paid by the hour so i'm not losing he is but i dnt like doing crappy jobs either so what would you guys do in this situation? I mean we do have good film and we have optical lam but he is saying it cost to much to use that stuff for this cheap job which i cant see it costing that much really.

This is going to be a pain I know but should i use transfer paper or should I just go for it. I'm thinking if use transfer paper i should leave about 6 to 8 inches on the edges not covered and lay the rest down and at least i will be able to make the rounded edges so i can tuck them. What do you think about that idea?

ddubia

Has your boss ever worked with vinyl before? It doesn't sound like it.

I guess your approach is going to depend on how bad the body of the car is. Some of them are either banged up badly or put together badly in the first place. Is it an actual car body or one fabricated by the race crew? The latter could be a nightmare.

When I'm struggling on the decision on whether or not to use mask, I use the mask.

Other than that nugget I have nothing that would help you.

Flubber

Its an actual body and he claims he has been doing this for 30 years BUT I do know he has never done a car wrap he has only dealt with the sides of box trucks...I mean a monkey could lay vinyl on a flat surface....

I cant wait for when i move at the beginning of next year so i can hopefully get on with a "REAL" sign and wrap shop that way i can apply what i have taught myself in a nice setting with a knowledgeable employer and staff......
:wavingflag:

R08

Some jobs just aren't worth doing. Your boss needs to know... this is one of them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a tough one. You have to do what the boss says or else....... well, in this case, I would probably ask the boss to assist and let him see how hard he has made your job. There are ways to meke him do an hands-on with you.... be persistent.

CL Graphics

if its a modified or late model it shouldnt be a problem installing. Flat sheet metal with pop rivets. If your printing and installing this for $300 your getting screwed. Customer probably can get a full wrap off the internet for $400. But that doesnt include installation. Also you should get a roll of oracal 3165RA for this. 30" is only 130 bucks and it is almost 4 mil thick without laminate and has air release.

MikePro

your not the one making the call, so its best not to fret about it too much... you're still getting paid for your efforts, but whether or not your boss is being profitable is his own deal.
Just make sure you voiced your objections beforehand and then do your best to make it look right. Your boss, and your client most importantly, should know that without the right materials/pricing he's gonna have to live with bubbles and scrates in the ink... but I'm guessing that for how much he's trying to lowball it, the graphic is most likely temporary and he's not plannin' on keeping it around for long.

never undersell car wraps to compete with online pricing... ultimately, shops make their profits on the labor involved with the install. Set a standard, and stick to it... or do it for cash under the table, warranties/taxes cost money too but its void when its off the record.

Flubber

Thanks for all your help. The funny thing is we have a roll of the rapid air but he refuses to use it says we would be wasting money if we did..... well I have been at the shop for an hr today and already we have had to reprint something 2 bc he laid it out wrong and then reprinted it again bc it was the wrong size but yet he complains about all these redos but yet its his fault but I get to hear it......ugh!

WrapperX

"wrap" away - you gave your two cents to your boss, if he wants to use crappy matterial and the customer wants a cheap job, then don't worry about it. Do what you do, and when it turns out like crap, you will have ground to stand on about your objections. Like you said, you get paid by the hour...

Tim Aucoin

Do the best you can, and when you end up re-running it, point out to your boss that he'd be way ahead of the game if he had just printed it on the good vinyl the first time.

Your boss shouldn't be in business if this is the way he treats his staff and customers. It's not fair to put that kind of pressure on you. My philosophy (as a boss) is if I wouldn't do it myself, then I don't expect my staff to do it!! :noway:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do the best you can, and when you end up re-running it, point out to your boss that he'd be way ahead of the game if he had just printed it on the good vinyl the first time.

Your boss shouldn't be in business if this is the way he treats his staff and customers. It's not fair to put that kind of pressure on you. My philosophy (as a boss) is if I wouldn't do it myself, then I don't expect my staff to do it!! :noway:

I agree with this 110%.

However [and I'm not saying the OP is doing this..... but], we've had employees that have purposely tried to undermine something to prove a/their point. That crap will never fly. So, to all interested... give it your best try. :thumb:

Flubber

Oh yeah im going to give it a shot no doubt about that im just frustrated that i have to do something the wrong way when it could be done in less time and it would look great instead of looking like s!@$....but hey who am I to question my boss he is the so called expert....like i said i get paid by the hour to do this and well thats just it....

if you know anyone local that has install experience you may want to call them and very politely ask if they would be willing to give you a hand (hold you hand through this project since your wrap experience is limited to wrapping your laptop)...i

f you had to wash his car, buy him pizza and beer, have your lady friend bake him some cupcakes or better yet cinnamon rolls you can not go wrong with cinnamon rolls...whatever ... it would increase your chances of success on this project tremendously.

WrapperX

I would not go out of your way to make this job work. Especially since it doesn't seem like your boss is willing to go out of his way to make it easier on you. AND if you do somehow make this work, then he will know that he can get away with cheap vinyl for wrap jobs and expect you to make it work everytime. Do what your told, with what they want and quitely laugh inside when it blows up in his face.

Flubber

man i laugh everyday at this job thats why im still here bc the pay is great! But it just kills me to know i can do a better job with the right materials and i am now able to fix dang near anything that goes wrong with vinyl bc of his lack of care about the right material....i will post up the pics as soon as the job is complete we just have to wait for the customer to get the paint job done first.....

Mosh

Also if it is a dirt track car when they scrape the mud between heats with no lamit you are going to have problems.