• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building new Shop. Any Suggestions?

Speedsterbeast

I'll be starting to build my new shop on my property in the next 6-8 weeks and I thought I'd see if anyone has some suggestions on anything that may not be obvious in designing the layout.
I don't need to hear "build it as big as you can" or "you'll wish you built it bigger" Those are obvious ones. I decided on a 28' X 34' is the most economical dimension that I can get away with. I'm a one-man operation and have always enjoyed doing thing efficiently instead of bigger is better. My home is less than 1,000 square feet with no basement and it's plenty big to eat, sleep, and play a little guitar.
I'm planning in-floor heating to promote a dust-free shop, as well as a raised laminate work floor space with rubber "coin pattern" surface on the concrete itself. South and east facing windows in my work area for lots of natural light, as well as overkill on regular lighting. Also installing a security system with video surveillance and no windows on the overhead door, so I can use blinds to block uninvited window peekers. I'm semi-rural and never even lock my house door when I'm out, but I want this to be a very secure work space.
Hoping to build it for $40,000 but whatever it takes I guess.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• Garage Layout.jpg
    Garage Layout.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 344

heyskull

Our last work unit was a similar size and very similar layout.
But we soon outgrew it.
Even in our new unit which has a 20'x5' bench at the back and can fit 2 XLWB Mercedes Sprinters side by side with space for 2 cars either side it still isn't big enough!
I did as you have done in both our units and drew it all out but it doesn't ever seem to workout.

Take the printer for example we have a 64" Mutoh Valuejet that takes up a 10' x 8' space, especially if you take into consideration that you need space in front and rear for media and access to the machine also the laminator takes up a slightly smaller area but if these 2 machines took up their real working space they would take up nearly a third of the floored area on their own!

Your panel saw is mounted next to the substrate rack and your vinyl/media rack is across the room, and no matter how good the dust extraction it will be always covered in dust which is not good.

I would have the two areas partitioned of and media etc. stored away from the main workshop as dust your enemy.
I would redraw everything out again maybe making all the items you are fitting into it one and a half times bigger then work out the size of the building then.
I just think it will be way to tight in there and "you'll wish you built it bigger" after you put all that gear into it.

Sorry for my input just trying to be helpful.

SC

Marlene

may sound stupid but electrical outlets. in my design room I had extras put in and had them put in about 3.5' up the wall so no crawling around under tables plugging things in.

rjssigns

With in floor heat don't cover the floor it just adds expense and hurts efficiency. Find a company that does concrete staining. It looks incredible when done and is easy to clean. They can even put your logo on the floor.

Have a mason build up 4' with split face block then buy a garage kit with 8' sidewalls. Instant 12' interior height for small mezzanine storage. And you no longer worry about snow, lawmowers, weed wackers etc..damaging the bottom of the building. Also look at scissor trusses at any sidewall height to give extra vertical space. (Menard's has dirt cheap garage packages)

For insulation have the building spray foamed or at the very least "skinned" with an inch of the stuff. Yes even the roof sheathing. You will thank me later. And don't forget the A/C!

This list is based on things I would do differently or missed. ('cept for A/C)

parkedcar

Ill be interested in this as well. Looking to buy a house this year, and our main priority is having enough property to build a shop. I was looking to do a heated floor too. Seams the garages I've worked out of are all plenty warm, until you get down on the floor.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have 6 feet on either side of my panel saw and it still never seems to be enough. I could never have my panel saw in the same room as my printer and desk, maybe i'm just spoiled...

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Another 20' longer and 2' taller for a 14' tall door and you could get most bobtail trucks in there also.

particleman

14' door, seriously.. and change the layout so you can utilize the full length of your building or remove the wall all together.

Go crazy with electric outlets and make sure you use a full 200amp electrical service. Just my opinion but this shop layout looks like something you can out grow quickly. Especially since I see what appears to be the laminator against a wall, and no 61" cutter to complement the 61" printer.

OldPaint

its a 2 FOOT 8 INCH man door, not 28")))) that makes a 32 inch pass door. 36" X 84" inch is commercial std. which is 4" taller then residential doors.
i can see in floor heating where you live. as for finish, i have a paint that is 100% solids, 2 part epoxy, self leveling. its beautiful!!!! only problem is it so smooth DONT GET THE FLOOR WET!!!!!! i imagine i coulda put some traction sand in the paint, but i dont get the floor wet. its so nice to walk around in there bare footed.
HEIGHT: i was limited to so many sq ft footprint, so i went 16 foot tall instead of 8. really worked out better so i have 720 sq ft floor and then i built a deck on one end that is 8 ft X 24 for an added 200 sq ft for a total of 920 sq ft. the upper deck works great for storaing stuff that would normally take up floor space. and i can stand up when on the deck. this also made it possible to have 12 ft X10 ft insulated sectional garage door.
also mine being in the south and is full commercial metal building, 24' X 30', i have a some sorta door on each wall for better air circulation. when its hot and i open all the doors, with the 4" fiberglass roof insulation, it stays pretty cool even on the hottest days.

Attachments

• COREL 015.jpg
    COREL 015.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 237
  • COREL 016.jpg
    COREL 016.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 216
  • oldcars 030.jpg
    oldcars 030.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 214
  • pottery 097.jpg
    pottery 097.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 205
  • building.jpg
    building.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 231

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey OldPaint......

Place looks the same as it did years ago. I like the picture with the geigh drawers in it.
Looks like you're getting ready for a karaoke party, huh ?? :rock-n-roll:

klingsdesigns

I would def try to make it deeper and bigger door. I letter tow trucks and what not that stick out my overhead door since it isnt long enough with everything in front of my garage.

OldPaint

yes gino old pics.........the one with the chairs, we do a GARAGE SALE CHRISTMAS PARTY every dec. we actually have it IN THE GARAGE))))))
AS FOR DOOR HEIGHT 12 FOOT is plenty, as you are in a cold climate so the 12 foot would be tall enough and you can seal it pretty well. i also do a lot tree service trucks.....so the 12 ft door does alow me to get a bucket truck in the door.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You’re only allowing about 21’ total length for a vehicle and with a 12 door, you limiting still more vehicles.
Also, if you’re lettering a truck or whatever, you can’t coat out more than a single board with your limited space.
I’m hoping you’ll have a wall between the two rooms , but if not, think about it. You want to put in a heating system to cut down on dust, but you haven’t considered the messes you’re gonna make in normal usage. That sounds self defeating to me.
Where your panel saw is… it fits, but if you wanna cut a 4’x 10’ in half, you won’t be able to start it, let alone finish it.

I know you outlined ahead of time you didn’t want anyone telling you to go bigger or whatnot, but maybe this will work…… don’t build it until you can afford to do it right, or you’ll be wasting money, just to have something which will suit your needs presently with no place to grow.
If you don’t grow, this place might work, but what happens if 6 months after you build this place, you land an account which will bring in tons of money, but you have to hire a person or two, get some additional machinery or tools ?? You’d have to turn it down, cause you’d all be tripping over each other and you can’t handle more than one or two projects at a time. One sizable project and you’d have to turn all vehicles away for a few weeks. Will they all wait ?? I doubt it. What happens if you need to put a CNC in to do a customized job which will pay for itself ?? It happens…. believe me..... it does.

I’d say put your eyes back in your head and think this whole thing out more thoroughly. Sometimes things look good on paper, but in reality, it ain’t gonna work……. and this looks like one of those times. :peace!:

klingsdesigns

I have also learned from other business owners make sure when you design it you always always have room to expand or add on the the building .

My opinion, is I think you can make that shop size work with correct layout and storage. a few things I would do different. I would put the production area on the right and build a wall between. you need to keep you printer, laminator, and materials away from the shop dust, not matter how much you want to control it is will be there. This will give you extra length for longer vehicles/trailer too. I agree the extra height is worth the money because you can add over head storage and get bigger trucks in. A 36" Door is a must. I would also look into a built in humidifier for your HVAC, its a small expense that will help control the dust. the heated floor is nice but I think it is money wasted. Epoxy coating the floor is a must for me, helps keep it cleaner for sure. I hate a dusty floor. How about a sink? Bathroom? Have you considered looking into a steel building construction? They can be a lot more affordable to build. Find a good concrete company and don't skimp, its the foundation of your building and you don't want it sinking and cracking on you.

petepaz

No way would I ever have the comp and a saw in the same room....

i was going to ask how much you use the saw and if the dust would create a problem, not just with the computers but also with laminating and applying graphics