• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business card layout

astro8

Very few people if any really care about a particular email address.

Well, they care about it over here...they want to see a someone@somethingsigns.com(.au). They also like to see your ACN (Australian Company Number) on your card.
Even the age and carrier of your mobile (cell phone) number can alter your perceived credibility.
Your business address, the car you pull up in, the clothes you wear, your haircut and how well you converse all have an affect...just the way it is.

Mosh

I do think less of people with generic e-mail "IF" I am doing business with them via the web. Joe Blow down the street, not so much, but stuff on the interweb superhighway yes.

CES020

I totally disagree.

There is no badge of honor in email snobbery. Very few people if any really care about a particular email address. In fact, the only place I ever saw any actual snobbery in email addresses are in sign forums. Never once did I ever see or hear any disparagement of any one using a free email account in any other marketing forum or in actual usage.

I would like to see some actual statistics on email addresses verses free addresses. I personally never even heard of it except in sign forums.

Techman, perhaps you should do some research. If you have an AOL email address, then all your email runs through their servers. AOL has one of the largest blacklists of outside email servers in the business. So what's that mean?

It means if someone out there is on a shared server, like most small businesses are, then you are sharing a server with 100's of other people. That server has an address, more or less. Now, if you are doing nothing wrong, and everyone's getting your email, all is good. But what happens is that 1 person, yes, 1 person, on that server registers an account and uses that account to spam people, then AOL shuts off all email from that entire server. Done, over. So now those 100's of people on the server can no longer send email to AOL. It will reject it. Not send it to spam, it will REJECT it.

So, as someone that needs to send email to people with AOL, now what do you do? You don't own the server, so you have no control over who's sharing the server. Contact AOL and they'll tell you to stop sending spam from that server. Call the server company you pay a whopping $5 a month for, and they, most likely will tell you nothing and do nothing.

I used to have an online store for a part time business. I had it happen to me. I lost all my customers with AOL because I couldn't send them email. I switched to a dedicated server, so I was the only one, but turns out AOL had blocked the entire bank of servers coming from that facility.

So it's not "email snobbery", it's called making sure that you can openly and freely communicate with your customers, and you cannot do that with AOL customers.

That's the email side of it, not to mention, google is indexing all those emails you share on their servers. Not sure I want google to know the content of all my emails, but I'm a paranoid person.

So you're telling me that if 2 people send you a brochure for a service and they are :

Bob's Electrical Service
www.aol.com/hometown/ee5hy/bobtheelectrian/free/hompage.html
bob898765@aol.com
555-555-1212 (leave a message)

and

Superior Electrical Service
www.superiorelectric.com
service@superiorelectric.com
555-555-1212

You'd call Bob's?

I wouldn't.

rjpjr

He has had the same logo for 10 years. Been looking for a graffiti font, for commercial residential, but I can't seem to find anything more readable that sticks out, that doesn't take over the card. Like the portrait idea, and didn't know that about aol...why is that?

Crazy...

Given the above quote, I guess I will save my comments about the logo.

Here are few suggestions that I would make to improve the layout.

1. Rotate the background gradient 180 degrees so that the brighter red is resting behind the logo. This will give the logo better contrast. As it is now, the logo is lost.
2. Ditch the stacked text of the company name. There is no need to present the company name twice. This will also allow his logo to be made bigger and will provide a more suitable area for the text "Commercial" and "Residential".
3. Left justify the business owners name, email, and phone numbers and make them all smaller. Left justify and place underneath "Commercial Residential".

Attachments

• West-Coast-Electric.jpg
    West-Coast-Electric.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 119

ocean502

Thanks for all your comments, I have been in the sign business for only an year and a half, and am absorbing all you have to offer...I guess this poses another question...is it ok/smart to change a logo that has been associated with a paticular business for such a long time? I do think the iron cross has been overdone, but it is his logo.
Sorry you wouldn't hire him Dan, he is an awesome electrician, and I could see why you wouldn't want him to come to your house while your wife was home, he looks amazing in a tool belt...but I don't think his tools would fit on a harley! no disrespect Ü thanks for your imput...

ocean502

Yes they do! But a few of you suggested that I talk him out of a logo that has been his identity for 10 years. There have been other situations in which a customer asked my opinion on changing they're logo and think that if that is what they have been recognized for then it can be improved but should stay the same. But, again I am still learning...

Last edited:

Jillbeans

What about something that still has his "logo" but it is very understated?
Then you can focus on the copy and still maybe please the customer.
(excuse the lack of kerning etc in this quickie suggestion)

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 110

Dan Antonelli

Someone once said 'success in spite of a poor identity is not a valid reason to perpetuate it'.

Doesn't matter if he's a great electrician or not; if all I have to judge him by is his business card, it doesn't leave me a great comfort level if that's all I have to go by.

great suggestion Jill for a tough design situation.

i say it often 'that ppl need to stop for a moment and think about how their logo/design choices impact how other ppl (their potential clients) view them' this is a textbook case of where someone got caught up in something that they personally thought was 'cool' that never should have been used as the method to present their business worse yet they got caught up in a 'fad' that was cool to them and a segment of america that well...isn't cool anymore...

Marlene

If I'm a homeowner, and my wife is home with the kids and needs an electrician - you can bet I'm not calling that guy. My expectation would be him having tattoos, and showing up in a Harley

Dan nailed it. that was the impression that I got when also. some people do their business more harm than good by sending the wrong message.

Jillbeans

Thanks.
I was in a hurry this morning and I forgot to say that someone using an aol or gmail address does not bug me as much as a business using a cell phone number.
Would I call a biker electrician? Probably, because for some reason I would just assume they knew about wiring. I do signs for a biker heating and cooling guy and while we did not use Harley colors we did go for an old-style bikery looking lettering.

Attachments

• deal6.jpg
    deal6.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 107