• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

calling all spider experts

thinksigns

SnowFlake
This thing, and the hundreds of babies on her back, is currently outside my back door.

In roman gladiator tradition, does the crowd give it thumbs up or thumbs down?

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 78

MikePro

mosquitos are the WORST. thumbs up.
spiders and bats are my ugliest friends... but they deserve to be outside. he comes at you, thumbs down.

Marlene

don't kill it!!! it and her babies will eat a ton of bugs over their life time. let her live and she will reward you with a lot less nasty bugs and flies.

S'N'S

I'd squish that sucker and make a concrete stain out of her and it's babies...Thumbs down.

genericname

Inside, my turf; outside, their turf. So long as it stays in its turf, we have an understanding. Thumbs up, and try to pretend you never saw the vile abomination.

m giese

Spider ID

I am not an expert, but I am going to go with wolf spider, and either you have big feet, or it is a small one, most we see in Florida are bigger than that...My wife hates them.

genericname

for the record, votes from australia about spiders are worth double.

I hate spiders, but I'd say that's biased, considering they have spiders who have developed as an evolutionary trait, the propensity for hiding in cars and dropping from the ceiling. I will never visit that beautiful, open, damned, island of hell.

omgsideburns

DUDE I had one of those by my door a few months ago and I stomped on it, only to have hundreds of small ones go crawling in all directions.. I scrambled through to door and in to the garage to find my large bottle of pesticide with automatic pump sprayer attachment and proceeded to bath my entryway in ooze, drowning each and every one of the little bastards in toxic death.

rjpjr

Looks like a wolf spider. Creepy and harmless but plentiful.

Wolf Spider...Yes
Creepy...Yes
Harmless...Yes
Painful...YES. I had one of those suckers bite me a couple of years back cleaning out flower beds.

About a month ago we had one of those on the step of our staircase (inside) and was completely shocked how big it was. I bent down to look at it and was horrified to discover that it was covered with babies. Just when I realized what I was seeing, the mother took off...and the all babies did the same! They were running everywhere. I SMASHED THEM ALL. They were probably all dead within 10 to 20 seconds but I continued smashing for at least a full minute...lol. I had nightmares that night.

That being said, I tell my kids to leave them alone because they help control insect.

John L

I had one just like that in the PA shop last night. It's a stomp/drag motion that you need to properly eradicate all at once. South Florida is where I have seen the really big ones though. Scary.