• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson or Rolland

allamericantrade

I was looking into upgrading my HP 9000s and looking at the Epson GS6000. I liked the similarities of the machine and due to printing a lot of static cling I think its best to stay solvent then latex. My local supply shop is a rolland dealer and they tell me to stay away from anything but rolland of course. What does everyone else think. I love my 9000s but i hate Hp's reps and service department.

FatCat

I would contact Mike at Insignia to get his opinion of the GS6000. Others will probably chime in as well, heck, there is a used one for sale in the classified section. That said, Epson's new solvent machine looks much more promising than the GS6000. Also seems to address and fix a lot of issues with that machine.

If it were me and I was staying solvent I'd first look at a JV-33. Soooo many people swear by their longevity and reliability. If I wouldn't have gotten a crazy good deal on a gently used Mutoh 1604 I would've gone with the Mimaki.

parrott

We love our our Epson. Have had it for a little over 2 years and it has run non stop. Very easy to use with incredible quality. We have printed on just about every media I can think of with good results. Since you mentioned static cling, it is a must to run it at 1440x1440 to get good results. You will have some banding and will have some drying issues if run any faster.

I am not familiar with any of the Roland printers, but have heard good things. Get test prints on static cling from both printers and compare. If we had to do it over again, I would go with Epson.

CS-SignSupply-TT

epson vs. roland

I was looking into upgrading my HP 9000s and looking at the Epson GS6000. I liked the similarities of the machine and due to printing a lot of static cling I think its best to stay solvent then latex. My local supply shop is a rolland dealer and they tell me to stay away from anything but rolland of course. What does everyone else think. I love my 9000s but i hate Hp's reps and service department.

+1 on Mike and INSIGNIA It looks like Epson is struggling to roll out their new machine. As you well know, SERVICE and SUPPORT are going to be key ingredients for you. You got the HP used and nursed it back to printing; therefore, you have the wherewithal to go underneath the hood. As I see your situation, your decision will come down to Roland vs. Mimaki :thumb:

allamericantrade

The things I didn't like about the rolland was the fact it has very few pinch rollers where other machines have them through out the media. I have no worries about the media becomming mis-aligned or walking sideways. I can print 53" wide on 54" material for 100' or more and not worry about it. Is there a rolland out there that can do the same? A friend has one and he has to unroll banner material by hand to avoid motor failure. I put it in and leave it all night and come back in the morning to every thing printed already. If it werent for the machine getting old and taking more maintanence time then print time latly I would not think about changing. I even looked to see if I could find a new one out there.

Signed Out

the roland xj series is the print only version of the soljet xc. we have the xj 540 and it has pinch rollers across the whole thing that operate with one handle, much better than the xc's pinch rollers and no tracking issues or having to unwind material before it goes through the printer.

allamericantrade

Does the rolland rip work with flexi? How is it trying to match pantone colors? I do a lot of cooperate work with many companies and this one is always fun!

tomence

Check out the new Roland RE-640. It's a printer only but very well built printer. I got one will be installed this coming Tuesday. When i first started looking for a new printer i wanted to buy the new HP L26500 but after a full day of playing with it, I wasn't satisfied. Then second one on my list was the Mimaki JV33 which i really like, bulletproof machine but my wife did not like the smell of the SS21 ink, and so finally I had to get the Roland. Even after the purchase i still want the Mimaki.

Jack Knight1979

yeah - I have the print only rolands. They have pinch rollers every couple inches. Mine are SJ's which are discontinued now.

I'm not a fan of the print/cut machines for my business.

You can run Flexi, but Roland comes with VersaWorks. Which is a solid RIP. You have to do all your pre-flight in adobe though. Not much editing power in VW. It also comes with an awesome color library. LOVE IT.

Robert M

Gs 6000

I may have one coming in on a trade next week, pm me if you are interested and i will get you a price

rjssigns

I have said this before and but I will say it again. Buy the unit that has the best and closest to your shop service rep . PERIOD. I do not care what people claim about this or that being a workhorse. There are no metrics to back up their claims. Roland, Epson et. al. have no such data either, and if they do are not willing to share it. They all break and usually at the worst possible moment.
If you buy the worlds best machine, but service is days away you will have a boat anchor at some point. Trust me on this.

I want to keep my rep forever. He is the one responsible for the confidence in my ability to keep running. Not the manufacturer.

tomence

Like "rjssigns" said, service tech is really important. This was another of the main reasons i got the Roland, dealer and service techs are 15 minutes away from me, plus this machine comes with 2 year warranty labor and parts.

Bly

I find the Rolands excellent value for money.
We have two Soljet IIIs.
The takeup reels perform perfectly.