• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fake wraught iron look.

SignManiac

Thanks everyone. Truth is, I need to try something new all the time or else I would be bored out of my mind. Creativity is the spice of life...oh make that variety!

FS-Keith

where do you get that material stock with the grain in it? How thick are you using? Never had problems with warping outdoors?

sfr table hockey

Lumber company sells it. It's a home siding material and comes in 3/4" and 1" thickness and 18' lengths.

Now that's a good idea....... thanks.

Your work is always amazing.....

If you want a real challenge you should try to build some kind of a flying device................... but then again that would be just silly....

SignManiac

Oops, I buy mine in 12" which actually comes 11.25"
When I need to glue up a larger panel, I use a 1/4" slotting cutter to rip a 1/2" deep slot the entire length. I then rip 1/4" x 1" lengths Of pvc for spline joints. I then use PVC cement to weld together and set up with pipe clamps. To prevent any chance of warping, I cement vertical cross bracing across the back.

Letter_Guy

Great Ideas!

Those came out excellent! Great Ideas!

I've used Sintra and hogged out the background a few times for interior signs in a foundry. Spray it matte or even flat black and it looks like cast iron.
You went well beyond that.

Mark

Barry Jenicek

Workbench

Nice workbench you have there...and with a blue surface. The only thing I can't think of is what do you put in those built-in pockets?? :smile:

Barry

Jim Schneck

Looks great! We used the exact same technique for these wrought iron castle door hinges.
Takes a lot longer than you think to totally cover with dimples.

Attachments

• PA204743.jpg
    PA204743.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 104

Keith Jenicek

Great idea for interior signs! You could incorporate a patina finish also with the steel. And on the grain substrate use a couple glazes to get a true wood finish. You can see how to do the glazes at SignCraft.com. Just do a search for glazes or Dan Sawatzky.

signmeup

Here's a hammered metal effect done on HDU. I used a hammer to make the effect. :)
Magic Sculpt was used on the "wraught iron".

Attachments

• Hammer1.jpg
    Hammer1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 97

signsolutions

@SignMeUp,

Love that look! How are you adhering the MagicSculpt to the Foam? I attended the Sawatsky workshop last year, and did a lot of MagicSculpt onto armatures, but not directly to foam.

- Keith

signmeup

@SignMeUp,

Love that look! How are you adhering the MagicSculpt to the Foam? I attended the Sawatsky workshop last year, and did a lot of MagicSculpt onto armatures, but not directly to foam.

- Keith
I just pressed it onto the foam. Sticks like stuff to a blanket.