• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite Quote from a Customer Today

signmeup

Oh my GOD!!!!
This is too much. As I'm reading this post (and laughing my ars off) I actually get an email from a client complaining that the window graphics I recently did loose their brightness at night and are hard to see.
I think the "head light fluid" in his car needs to be topped up.
I had this same thing happen to me a few months back. I installed a 4 x 8 carved 2 sided HDU sign by the main road. A few weeks go by and the guy calls me and says "It's hard to read at night." I'm thinking,"No st*t Sherlock!" Then he says his wife thinks it would be more readable in the dark if I repainted the V carved lettering a more "vibrant" colour. Yeah.... I'll get right on that. Maybe some glow in the dark paint. That'd be attractive. Glad the sign was fully paid for before it got dark out.

Same guy, different sign - now he can't read the 3/4" tall lettering on the sign mounted plaque as he's driving by in his car. I'm thinking, "Wait till it gets dark out....." I dispair......

I love the "headlight fluid" remark.

Lunatic Taskbar

One funny experience I had, was a gentleman come into the shop and we took time to come up with some colours for his signs. No Problem! He picked a light green as the back ground and seemed very pleased with him self. he sat back in the chair and declared that he has never seen that green before and that it was a one off. I just sat there and tried not laughing. My reason for not laughing is this: His new metal roof is the same colour he chose as is the house opposite his business. We made the signs and actually quite a lot of them. I thought he would eventualy figure out where his inspiration came from... But NO a few weeks later he emailed me and asked that I would promise not to do this colour for anyone else as its his colour and chosen specifically by him and it didn't exist anywhere else. I said I had named that colour and should any one come in and ask for it by the name I gave it I would flatly refuse to do it. He was so pleased. LOL. he doesn't even know the name of it. in his file I have called it "idiot green" if anyone is interested.

GypsyGraphics

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Not a call from a client but still amusing...

Got a call just hours ago, from one of the owners of the ad agency where I did my internship 13 years ago.

Liz: Hi Gigi, it’s Liz, how are you, it’s been what 10 years.

Me: Yes, at least that long, I’m doing well, how’ve you been?

Liz: I don’t know if you’ve heard but I’ve been very ill....
Poor gal’s been circling the drain for 10 years and managed to pull herself from the brink of death. She spend 15 minutes giving me details of multiple illnesses (rare muscle disease, brain tumor ect. ect.) and her financial woes. At the end of which she says, I’m not really telling anyone about my condition so please don’t pass any of this along.

It all sounded so familiar... hmm sames stories I heard 13 years ago.

Me: Liz, I’m so sorry to hear that, but happy to know you’re doing so much better.

Liz: Well, the reason I’m calling is I was wondering if I could do some work for you, or if there were any small jobs that you just didn’t have time for that you could send my way.

Me: What kind of work are you doing these days?

Liz: Oh, you know me, I can do anything. And you know you’d be using a experienced designer who does only top quality work. So I’d be happy to take on whatever you’ve got.... anything I can do from my house, I’m not able to get out and meet with people.

Me: Well, it just so happens someone is coming by tomorrow, to discus a project I’m not likely to take. I can pass on your information, if it goes as I expect.

Liz: That would be great and if there is any work you need Gigi, I can do that too.

Me: Well, I’ll keep you in mind. What’s your email address, so I can pass it along tomorrow?

Liz: Oh, my email is down at the moment, my PC’s in the shop.

Me: Do you have another computer?

Liz: No, just the one and it’s been in the shop for three months. I can’t afford to get it fixed. Hey, it’s an HP does your husband still work for HP, maybe he can fix it.[/FONT]

no email, wants to work strictly from home and no computer... couldn't bring myself to ask how's this gonna work?

it's all coming back to me now... she owed me some money... paid with a check from a long since closed account.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

OMG... how that looks!!!!!

In my effort to not be so long winded and give more detail than necessary I left out any history that would explain my seemingly uncaring reaction to Liz's plight. I've been duped by this lady's story in the past. Several times before I took the advice of others and saw Liz's stories for what they were.... stories and not facts.

I'd delete the above post all together if I could rather than write this bit of history but since I can't... you just gonna have to read this if you read the above post.

For my entire first week at that agency I barely slept worrying about a women I knew little about other than her medical history which. What I thought I knew came directly from her. From the very first day I was introduced to Liz, I was her sounding board and shoulder to cry on. The things she told me, a perfect stranger, made me heartsick and I immediate became her confidant, eager to do anything to help.

By the end of week two, I was called in by the main owner and told that while he wanted to extend my three month internship to a year, the offer would only be made if stopped indulge Liz. Apparently her stories had become more exaggerated and consumed more of her time, since I'd been there. It only took me a few more weeks to realize he was right.

But because you just never really know, I always had in the back of my mind... what if any of what she says is true. For that reason when she directly asked for help or favors or money, I did what I could... just in case.

It took my husband going to her house and working on her computer several times for free, before he told me NO MORE. Once I stopped believing, for the remainder of my time at that firm, she was fortunately in good health.

While I still feel bad that she has a need for the stories, I also know now when I'm being duped (not always) and careful to let me head do the thinking when she calls.

FYI... the recent brain tumor was her sixth, that i'm aware of and her third or fourth time in supposed last stages of hospice care. Ten years ago, I didn't even understand what that was. Now, having first hand knowledge... that's one story Liz will not pull over on me again.

Part of the reason I didn't understand what was happening to my mother when she entered hospice care was because the only other information I had on the subject came from Liz. I thought my mom had a chance of coming out of hospice... image my surprise to find out the final stages of hospice care... was final.

I do still feel for Liz, but it's for her need to tell stories and use people.

Why I thought I could post just her phone call.... I have no idea. Maybe because it was so such a complete rerun of prior episodes... right down to having my husband fix her computer.

Okay I'm shutting up now... too little too late.

Maybe I'll see if I can get Fred or Stacy to delete both of these post... if I plead temporary insanity.

Fred... Stacey?

Border

One funny experience I had, was a gentleman come into the shop and we took time to come up with some colours for his signs. No Problem! He picked a light green as the back ground and seemed very pleased with him self. he sat back in the chair and declared that he has never seen that green before and that it was a one off. I just sat there and tried not laughing. My reason for not laughing is this: His new metal roof is the same colour he chose as is the house opposite his business. We made the signs and actually quite a lot of them. I thought he would eventualy figure out where his inspiration came from... But NO a few weeks later he emailed me and asked that I would promise not to do this colour for anyone else as its his colour and chosen specifically by him and it didn't exist anywhere else. I said I had named that colour and should any one come in and ask for it by the name I gave it I would flatly refuse to do it. He was so pleased. LOL. he doesn't even know the name of it. in his file I have called it "idiot green" if anyone is interested.

Outstanding!:ROFLMAO:

ova

Our shop is open on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm. A couple of years ago my wife and I were working. We usually don't both work weekends, but had a lot on the table, so we were both here. At around 11am we get phone call from a lady whose husband coaches wrestling at a local high school. She's in a panic and could hardly talk on the phone. They were having their tourney that day. Seems like the Wreslting Moms Club thought the Boosters were getting the awards and vise versa.

After calming her down, we asked what time the finals would start? 5pm was the answer.
We assured her we could do something but she insisted on a complete compliment of awards. 14 weight classes, 6 deep on awards. 3 three poster trophies for team awards and 1 MVP award. She said she was bringing a blank check and we could fill out the amount.

We got everything done by 4 pm. Plaques for 1st thru 4th medals for 5th & 6th. When she showed up you thought she had won the lottery.

Since then, we've done all of their HS, Middle School, and Pee Wee tourneys.

Just wanted to share a good ending to a story that started out bad. Been in business for myself about 25 years. Not only signs and awards, but other things. For all of the PITA customers we have to deal with, I think we do this for the customers that appreciate us.

Just for record, we only charged the usual amount plus a rush charge for what they ordered.

Dave @ Ohio Valley Awards

K Chez

Saw this one on clients from hell-too funny...

“Why didn’t you call me over the holiday to see if I changed my mind?”

yukon

One of my favorites... "But I'm only gonna have the sign up for 2 - 3 weeks"

That's irrelevant, isn't it?

Yukon

Lunatic Taskbar

Ok I have another funny one.

I was lettering up the front windows of an Art gallery. So imagine the scenario.

I have the truck outside with all my graphics all over it.

I am climbing about in the windows, on ladders and such, I am wearing our T-shirts! and I am lugging large vinyl graphics about.

And its an Art gallery...

Ok scene set.

So I have left my tool bag on a round table the bag which is more like an electricians bag with all sorts of crap hanging out of it Just normal signshop crap.

Anyway I am at the top of my ladder when i look down to see this guy stroking his beard as be is walking completely around this table with the bag on. (my tool bag) and I can hear him saying to his friends. Oh yes this is marvellous. I love the texture and colours. I like the urgency. at that point I climbed down grabbed another squeegee out of it and disappeared back up the ladder. I got to the top in time to see him storm out of the gallery.

I nearly fell off the ladder laughing.

I should have offered to sell this piece to him LOL.

Ian

Last edited:

SeaWriter

Also a customer said to my father, a well know artist in my home town, "Is that the best price you can give me?"

He took back the quote, quickly drew some wonderful flourishes and cute characters around the price on the quote.

Handing it back, dad said, “Your right, this is much better now”.

Lunatic Taskbar

Also a customer said to my father, a well know artist in my home town, "Is that the best price you can give me?"

He took back the quote, quickly drew some wonderful flourishes and cute characters around the price on the quote.

Handing it back, dad said, “Your right, this is much better now”.

Now thats classy right there.

Freeking fantastic.

Ian

Jillbeans

This is my first day back open after the surgery.
Phone rings.
It's someone whom someone from my church said to call me.
"I am ____, I have written a play in that's in its 4th production blah blah blah sign needs moved from blah blah blah to blah blah blah dates need changed to blah blah blah."
(insert Charlie Brown teacher sounds)
Me: "What is the sign made of?"
them: "I don't know"
They also didn't know how big it was, what the old lettering was made of, but it is black, or any other pertinent details but they needed it to be fixed by tomorrow.
They seemed miffed about the $25 fee.
If I was sharper I would tell them to call whoever made the original sign.

signage

Jill only $25.00! If you have to go look at it I would charge alot more than that with all the snow we have now! It's not your fault they waited to the last minuet and all the snow that has came, traveling in this much snow cause hazardous condition pay!!!!

Jillbeans

Nobody has ever called me back so I guess I am supposed to be psychic about what goes on these signs (banners? coro? plywood? size?)
I did call the person and said they should contact the original signee but they said they want me to "go look at them" here let me jump in the truck!
I pity the poor guy who has to install them in the 28" of snow we got.

Si Allen

Hahahaha......

Got a call from a Painting Contractor that I have been doing sign work for the last 29 years.

"Hey Si, need 2 names changed on a 6'X10' sign n the Valley..can you do it for me?"

"One of my signs?"

"Nope...they contracted it out themselves a year and a half ago."

"Uh Oh! How bad is it?"

"I'll email ya a pic of it, take a look and call me back"

"OK"

"Hey there Tom...ya gotta be kidding! You want me to drive 45 miles to fix an obviously 'low bidder' sign that looks like a bunch of letters stck on a board?"

"Unfixable?"

"Well it is fixable, but we are looking at a minimum of 1/2 a day to remove the letters on those 2 names and then paint new names on it. Why not stop at a local 'stickie' shop and have them do black letters on white viny and stick it on top of those names?"

"How would that look?

"Ya can't make that sign look any uglier, no matter what ya do to it!...It already has one name change using black vinyl with gold letters, plus all that graffiti sprayed on the sign!"

"Hmmm...I guess $25 is a lot cheaper than $300.. Thanks for the advice!"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

signgal

"There must have been some language misunderstanding with the gentleman I spoke to the other day. He said he was coming out here."

Hubby's got an accent... so long story short, after he agreed to go to a lot of trouble for free to go see what she needs, he put her on with me to discuss design or something and I explained that until her committee comes up with a budget and has some idea of what they want, it would be pointless to go see her and a waste of time to provide an estimate. She's reasonable and agreed. Sooooooo.... WTF?!

You dis my man and forget our 20 minute conversation?! grrrrrrrrrr

onesource

I have a friend in the business that had received a call from "U need-a-sign Co." he says no I don't need a sign I am a sign co. the other guy says I am "U need a sign" friend yells I don't need a damned sign U need a sign says I need a sign, friend says what the hell is wrong with you. The guy hangs up and about 30 minutes later he shows up at the shop with a hurt arm and explains he can't paint some orders he needs out and needed help........we laughed till we cried

This was mid 80's