• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fired a customer

Scotchbrite

No comment
Does it talk about the paradox of choice?

From what I learned is that it's easier for a consumer to make a choice between a limited number of options. Like if you have a grocery store and stock 3 different kinds of ketchup, it's not hard for someone to make the choice. But if you have 10 different ketchups (different brands and sizes) it becomes overwhelming and the consumer might give up trying to figure out what he/she wants and not buy it at all.
Yes it does.

The interesting stuff is when they talk about studies where they give people a choice and then later a chance to change their choice. People generally were less happy with their ultimate choice when they have a second chance.

Johnny Best

I was just thinking that I never fired a customer in all the years I have been working. I was sued for not doing a job one time. I did not want to do a particular job for a customer and they got someone else, who screwed it up, so they blamed me for not doing it. They had a lawyer serve me papers and everything.

Z SIGNS

I fire customers and turn people away all the time.
Running any business is like having a garden. You have to constantly weed out the bad stuff to make room for the good stuff to grow.
If you don't weed your garden often all your days will be filled trying to appease high maintenance customers that rarely bear fruit.
After a while you can smell them a block away.
Figure out where and how you make your money and learn how to sense if a job/customer is worth it.
Also learn how to politely say no thanks to the jobs that will waste your time.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I was just thinking that I never fired a customer in all the years I have been working. I was sued for not doing a job one time. I did not want to do a particular job for a customer and they got someone else, who screwed it up, so they blamed me for not doing it. They had a lawyer serve me papers and everything.
Hahaha, makes ya wonder what kind of lawyer made them think they had a case.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If you got the money, many of them don't care. A lawyer is like an accountant, if you're gonna be in business you'd better find a good one.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you got the money, many of them don't care. A lawyer is like an accountant, if you're gonna be in business you'd better find a good one.
1655432756245.png

netsol

So, someone else failed to complete the job properly & they sued you?
this shows you made THE RIGHT CHOICE with that client

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but his eyes are always bulging outta his head.................. o_O

Who wants this cute little gremlin over here ?? I maka you an offer you cannot refuse.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, we all have been talking about firing customers. How many customers have fired YOU ?? That's the real question. Being in business over 50 years, I still have some of my customers from 1971 and the early 70s.

Why did people fire YOU ??

*price ??
*knowledge or lack thereof ??
*service ??
*professionalism ??
*craftsmanship ??
*personality ??
*tardiness ??

Maybe I should really start a new thread................ maybe I will later on. It could get interesting.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Ya know, we all have been talking about firing customers. How many customers have fired YOU ?? That's the real question. Being in business over 50 years, I still have some of my customers from 1971 and the early 70s.

Why did people fire YOU ??

*price ??
*knowledge or lack thereof ??
*service ??
*professionalism ??
*craftsmanship ??
*personality ??
*tardiness ??

Maybe I should really start a new thread................ maybe I will later on. It could get interesting.
Ummm sir, to answer your question, more than once and all of the above

spectrum maine

RULE #1 trust your instincts rule 2 never do instant revisions. after revision #3 take a full 24hrs to do another. depending on the complexity and scope of the work remind them that each revision changes the price because of time spent.

Johnny Best

Technically if the person does not purchase anything from you, you can't call them a customer.
If they have you making layouts for free and wasting your time but you never received any money for your services and they dropped you or you dropped them, You are the one who got fired.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Our shop passes on sign projects somewhat frequently. The most common thing is installation jobs we just can't fit into our schedule and/or the customer wants too much PITA red tape paperwork and leg work to go with it. We're not desperate for install jobs, but some of those kinds of customers act like they're our saviors or something. Oh, and they don't want to pay squat for the work either. So, yeah, it's easy to pass on jobs like that.

It's rare we'll decide to never work with a certain customer permanently. Usually we'll refuse work or stop work on a particular job on a project by project basis. If we reach an impasse the customer has to find someone else to finish their project.

We've all been through customer abuse of the design department repeatedly. I think two factors (among others) contribute to the problem. One: some customers don't think doing graphics work on a computer is a real job. They think it's easy and that the activity is artsy-fartsy play time so they don't want to pay for that kind of work. Two: too many customers believe the phony depictions of computers in movies and TV shows. Just rattle some gibberish into the keyboard and "poof" the job is done instantly. There shouldn't be any problem with endless revisions and delivering those revisions instantaneously. Not unless Hollywood is lying.

We have a recipe of certain computing tasks that will involve design fees. We don't do pixel-to-vector logo conversions for free. Vehicle wraps often require a design deposit. The trick is we're very up front with customers about those requirements. If they don't like it they can walk. But we're a good enough sign company that does good enough work that most customers agree to play ball.