• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For the computer geeks........

jayhawksigns

Shovelhead-

You unfortunately can not plug you dvd and hdd into seperate ports on that particular mb, trying to use the floppy port is like putting a AGP card in a PCI Express slot, enough said.

What you need to check is on the back of both drive will be a little plasitc jumper. That selects whether the drive is the master or slave for that particular ribbon. You will need to maske sure that the hdd is set to master, and the dvd is set to slave. There should be a little diagram on either drive showing where the jumper needs to be for each setting.

Shovelhead

I'm aware of that...........

there's no switch like that on either device.
Just power, the ribbon input and 3 smaller male connections

jayhawksigns

27-106-013-03.JPG

This should roughly be what the back of the dvd drive looks like.

From right to left

The power hookup
IDE ribbon connector
The next pins (with the gren jumper) are what sets whether the drive is a slave or master
The next two slots if I remember are the digital and analog audio out jacks.
The last six pins you don't use.

The hdd won't have the audio connections of course.

adsorp-tech

That really stinks. Sometimes it's nice to have built in graphics just for the whole troubleshooting end of things. One option is to get a super cheap pci graphics card if you're in a hurry to get things up and running and install windows. I had an old one that held me over until my PCI-E card came in. Some place like Wal-Mart might have one for less than $20.

I also agree with some of the others. Use one stick of ram in at first. Try each of the four slots and either stick if problems persist.

Your mobo should have some fine text stamped around the case/power header. You'll find all your case led's listed along with power, reset, and speaker. You can get by with only the power one connected (sometimes listed as Power SW (-switch) on the mobo or in the book.

Leave your cd-rom out of the mix for now. Work with the bare minimum. If your HD lacks the L-shaped SATA connector(s) it's not SATA. I say connectors because most newer SATA drives will have a second smaller one for SATA power if your power supply supports it. If not, the standard four pin will be fine.

Seperating your drives on different IDE channels has several benifits. One being that your HD can get all the bandwith it wants on it's own without sharing it with any other drive. Although if you do have two CD/DVD drives, it is a good idea to seperate them so they each have their own channel. Especially if you plan to burn disks "on the fly".

Either way, I'm probably just rambling on because you'll probably be fine once you swap the video card... Oh, and that audio connector from the CD-rom is practically useless. I haven't used one on any of the last 10 pc's I built. Your internal audio software doesn't require it.

Shovelhead

I have that green thing on the pic.....

only mine is black, looks like it has prongs sticking out of it...and there is no text
with the slave/master option....doesn't look like it can slide.....Damn, this blows!

njsigns

you need to pull that "jumper" out with tweezers if you can't get your fingers around it. then you can slide it over the correct pins (usually slave). It doesn't slide left to right, just straight out then straight on.

Gene

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It doesn't slide. It lifts straight off and is a jumper to connect the appropriate two pins for master or slave.

If you only have one IDE channel then make the DVD the slave and the hard drive the master. If you have two IDE channels then put the hard drive on the master and the DVD on the slave channels using two different ribbon cables but keep the dvd jumper setting as master.

Techman

RAM must match the processor.
So many times ive observed that same problem only to find the RAM did not match the processor or the motherboard..

Shovelhead

That explains it then.......

This wouldn't be such a pain in the ass if they'd supply manuals
and whatnot....I'm sure I can get them off of the net....but Jeez.....

jayhawksigns

Shovel -

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from building your own computer again. Anyone who has worked with computer long enough runs into problems like you have to some extent.

I had a problem a while back where our rip station would no longer boot up windows xp, but swear to god, I hooked up an old drive with windows 98 and it worked. Darndest thing I have ever come across, the cpu now has this absolute hate for win 2000 or xp, but will load the old 98 fine.

Next time, you'll order from newegg.com, get the parts in three days or less, and have the computer assembled in less than an hour, laughing about how much a pain in the rear the last computer was.

JMDigital

Shovelhead said:
is it as simple as plugging the DVD into the available floppy slot on it's own ribbon because that's the only way that I can have a separate connection.
I don't recognise any of the other connections on the drives

Maxtor 160GB EIDE HD 7200/8Mb/ATA-133

You can not plug the DVD into the floppy connection. Its diffrent. Ok. Make shure the DVD is set to SLAVE and the hard drive is set to MASTER. If they are. then UNPLUG the CDROM and turn it on with just the HDD in. Have you been able to get any video yet?

And the RAM situation .. if you have 2 sticks run them so they are in slot 0 of each pair. that gives you the best setup. To check the ram use them 1 at a time and see if the system starts up.

if there is still no video.. remove EVERYTHING except 1 stick of ram and the video card. plug in a PS2 keyboard (not usb) and watch the 3 lights on the top right of the kb. when you turn the system on the 3 lights should light up then go out. if they do not flash at all there is a problem with either the board or chip..

Sounds like you have a little nightmare over there... hope you wake up from it soon! keep updating us here

Shovelhead

You've been outta the loop....

for a couple dozen posts..........I have the wrong video card.........
I'm not blaming tigerdirect but I narrowed my purchase down to PCI Express on their site and they had this card listed on the page with the PCI Exes...it's an AGP......I didn't read the fine print......anywho.........I look forward to resolving this...thankfully it's a side project and my work isn't effected.

JMDigital

Shovelhead said:
be patient everyone.......:Coffee:

Run them like the pic on the left. Thats DUAL CHANNEL . better..

I Hope nothing got damaged with the video card error.. jaming that card into that slot cant be healthy... ???

jayhawksigns

Dual channel like JMD above said is definitely the way to go.

And Shovel, I just have to do this, and I hope you chuckle a little bit. I found this when I was checking out the tigerdirect site.

BUB-icon.jpg

Before you buy - make sure your motherboard is compatible with this video card. For example, PCI Express video cards won’t work with motherboards designed only for AGP or PCI video cards, and vice versa.

Cadmn

shovel old boss was big stickler for building outside case first then add probs as you go you only need cpu mem & power to chk then go from there directions never really come with any parts mb's used to have small ones just to explain all the jumpers for the certain cpu you had gotten AMD Intel K5 K6 5x86 etc. etc.

Shovelhead

While I'm no Donald Trump.............

$94.99 for the card is chump change.....I got some education from this......
I'm headed out for lunch today to CompUSA for a new card..........I don't want to wait for the UPS guy. I'm going to take eveyone's advice to get this Mutha going. I'm confident with the help that I got here that I'll be up an running Saturday. Thanks again guys!
:Coffee: