• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Gerber Edge II Printing Problem

Will308decals

Hey all, I haven't been on here for a while but I am back because I have a small problem with my Gerber Edge II and it's printing.

I will attach pictures below, but my problem is my Edge II isn't printing very well, say I were to print a test strip that takes up the whole print head, looking at the vinyl the bottom 1/3 comes out with many little misprints, I allow my edge to heat up and warm up before I print and I still have problems. It is very annoying because I have to print so much extra to make up for all the misprint on the bottom 1/3 of the vinyl.

Looking at the picture you will understand more of what I am talking about,

But my question to you all is what can I do to fix this? I am thinking about sending it in to get a little checkup but wanted to come on and see if anyone else has had this problem or has a solution to this.

Any response would help,

Thanks,
Will

There is one image where it is fairly good, but if you look really close there are many misprints, the other image is extreme. The part I cannot understand is that it only happens to part of the print (the bottom 1/3).

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 777
  • IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 268

Jburns

which vinyl and foil are you using - does it occur with every foil?

I prefer 3M vinyl only and gerber foils. Also can you post a close-up clear picture of the head, ( red area) in the area that is leaving this print?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm assuming you've cleaned the heads. Are you using new or at least decently new Gerber foils and quality vinyl (like 3M 220 or similar)?

gabagoo

The Edge always prints well with 2ml 3M white. Drop outs sometimes can actually be the vinyl itself, with very small indentations that stop the foil from bonding. Someone once on here suggested to put a 1" bar of the first colour being printed at the front of the print which gives the heads a little more time to heat up to print temperature and it works.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
ive had this happen during multiple conditions my Edge. it's usually when im mixing a non-Gerber foil or vinyl with a Gerber foil or vinyl.

my suggestion: clean your printhead with Gerber head cleaner cards. wipe down the surface of the vinyl you want to print with alcohol before printing and see if it improves.

Will308decals

I'm assuming you've cleaned the heads. Are you using new or at least decently new Gerber foils and quality vinyl (like 3M 220 or similar)?
Yes, I have tried new foils and still the same problem, they work better than older foils but still leave drop out spots. I use Gerber foils and Convex vinyl as well

Will308decals

ive had this happen during multiple conditions my Edge. it's usually when im mixing a non-Gerber foil or vinyl with a Gerber foil or vinyl.

my suggestion: clean your printhead with Gerber head cleaner cards. wipe down the surface of the vinyl you want to print with alcohol before printing and see if it improves.
I will give that a try, thank you

Will308decals

which vinyl and foil are you using - does it occur with every foil?

I prefer 3M vinyl only and gerber foils. Also can you post a close-up clear picture of the head, ( red area) in the area that is leaving this print?
Here is a picture of the print head, more towards the top of the print head is where I am having trouble. I see that there are a few white markings in this picture, I am unsure if those are blown pixels or not but the drop out range on the prints/vinyl are bigger than just the area of those few white spots on the print head

Attachments

• IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 281

Billct2

I don't think you can see blown pixels, at least not that I've heard of. And the blown pixel issues I have seen are usually a straight line of missing foil.
That looks like it could just be a dirty head. Try cleaning more.

Jburns

yes - if you see tiny specs on the red strip - that is likely foil debris. I had a Tomato red foil that always left residue. Use the gerber wipes. No official recommendation, but I have had to gently use my fingernail for some stubborn pieces, while wet with 99% alcohol.

If you have a jewers loop - and a flashlight you can really see them,. but pits of non color are likely the vinyl, I got that all the time with Oracal 651

Adam.Foster

Do you only have this problem printing on convex?
Have you tried printing on other materials like Gerber 220 white or Gerber label stock?
Do you see the same fall out on 220?
Have you printed an 11.5x11.5 box with a 50% fill? what does that look like?
if you can see dark and light areas and not a perfect 50% fill then it's time to call Gerber service to have the head replaced (and edge serviced) or Trade in the edge and upgrade to a new Edge FX.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Will308
You mention it only happens on the Bottom 1/3
Ths suggests to me an electronic issue
Perhaps it's timeto power off,open the machine & patiently disconnect and reseat all the connectors. Pull each one TWICE. you will be cleaning oxidized connectors

I can't tell you how any odd problems have been fixed this way

The other "good practice" that might apply (but i doubt it, in this case) would be to have someone resolder the heavier connections on the circuit boards. Looking for "ringed connections" we do this all the time on the edge, but i don't associate this with this type of problem
AFTER RESOLDERING we always clean the connections with 91% isopropyl or flux stripper and a tooth brush (flux deposits make problems of their own)

Feel free to PM me if you go ahead with these suggestions

SOMEONE MENTIONED seeing bad pixels. You can not see an electrical failure, BUT you can see mechanical damage to the surface of the head. (Same effect, leaves a white dot on the print)

AN ADDITIONAL THOUGHT on this problem, i have 4 edges and30 years experience with zebra thermal printers (the same technology joseph gerber used developing the edge). PM. Me if you want to pursue a little bit of troubleshooting, regarding this issue. I don't want to turn this into a white paper on repairing and maintaining your gerber edge

FunkotronXL

Netsol has a good approach. Looks like an energy transfer issue from what could be multiple areas to troubleshoot.

Also possible the printhead was not perfectly aligned to be parallel with the platen. Normally not something that would create issue but as other elements wear over time becomes more noticeable on flood. Better to troubleshoot the electrical first. Not sure if you're using this Edge frequently or every once in a while.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Good point! I hadn't even considered asking how often it is used
Capacitors deform when not under power for long periods oftime.
The workaround is to power the device up at least a couple hours before using.
That would be a very good test

Joe House

Blown pixels and debris that is stuck on the head will most often leave a horizontal unprinted line. Random unprinted surfaces are usually dirty vinyl or platen and could also be caused by poor electrical contacts as mentioned above. The surface needs to be clean and smooth for the foil to adhere properly. I always try to troubleshoot Edge printing problems with known good Gerber foils and Gerber 220 vinyl. That can go a long way to reducing variables.

Good Luck