• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gimme that thang!!!!!! apple keynote in progress!!!

trakers

The biggest downer I saw was lack of flash, and really thats kind of major. But given the horsepower this thing has, I can't imagine the final version not being able to support flash.

Except for losing YouTube & Hulu, I'd say that may be one of the *best* features of the device. I'm not certain there is anything I hate more on the web than the use of Flash. The *only* place I find it acceptable is for delivering video on sites and I'm not really thrilled about that use either.

I do like the idea behind the iPad though.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Except for losing YouTube & Hulu, I'd say that may be one of the *best* features of the device. I'm not certain there is anything I hate more on the web than the use of Flash. The *only* place I find it acceptable is for delivering video on sites and I'm not really thrilled about that use either.

I do like the idea behind the iPad though.

Not sure why everyone keeps saying you cannot watch youtube. Both the ipod and ipad CAN view youtube videos. I do it all the time on the iphone and the ipad shows it on one of the feature pages at apples' site

Bly

iDouche more like...

I think I'll wait till they build a desktop computer as big as a fridge :thumb:

signmeup

I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do.....so I guess I don't need one? I thought it was funny that someone said you can add a keyboard so you could type stuff.

acothran

I thought it was funny that someone said you can add a keyboard so you could type stuff.

You can type on the touch screen, which has a close-to full-size keyboard, that functions like the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard. You have the option of using an external keyboard, which will more than likely be better suited for typing lengthy documents.

Allen

BrianKE

If I was looking for a netbook, and if it can run Serato Scratch Live then maybe... was disappointed that they did not announce an I-Phone for Verizon.... AT&T sucks in this one horse town...

The following is purely based on what I hear from a number of friends, but AT&T sucks in most every market. Because there are so many people doing web related stuff with their iPhone the AT&T system cannot handle the load. My friends are always complaining of dropped calls, bad reception, slow downloads, etc. Part of this is probably due to the fact that iPhone users can talk on the phone and surf the web.

I have a Droid from Verizon and for one am adamant that first and foremost my phone work flawlessly. Nothing worse than not being able to communicate with a client. I have yet to have a friend on the phone and have to look for a place to have sushi with him (see AT&T TV ad for context).

AT&T has an exclusive contract with Apple for the iPhone and will NEVER give up their one cash cow. Don't ever expect to see the iPhone on any market other than AT&T. Just like with the Mac, Apple will once again shoot themselves in the foot by not letting anyone else play with their toys and will shortly be eclipsed by Google's Android OS.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have not any problems with dropped calls, connections or speed on my iphone. I've had it for 4 months now. Don't get me wrong, I am not entirely happy with AT&T (for an entirely different reason and long story) but it is the only way to get an iphone legally

Here is something though that was cool. My wife was heading up the freeway and it was shut down due to a fatality accident. Everyone had to exit and she was now lost due to the unfamiliar area. While I was on the phone with her I could pull up a google satellite image on the map app of the area she was in. I told her what turns to take and what landmarks to look out for as I could see the buildings in the satellite view, all of this while on the phone

TheSnowman

If you've never touched a mac, or an iPhone, it appears as though you hate it...if you have, you like it, even if you may not buy it. It's like my grandparents and the internet...they said they'd never have it, cause they don't need it and hated it. Well, we got them a computer, and now they are on it all day. Just ignorance. If you haven't used one, you won't miss it...but if you never have, you can't diss it.

Doyle

Here is something though that was cool. My wife was heading up the freeway and it was shut down due to a fatality accident. Everyone had to exit and she was now lost due to the unfamiliar area. While I was on the phone with her I could pull up a google satellite image on the map app of the area she was in. I told her what turns to take and what landmarks to look out for as I could see the buildings in the satellite view, all of this while on the phone

Very cool.... after a few years of owning a smartphone, I am still in awe at the things I can do with it. For example: my wife's friends were planning a surprise birthday party for her at a local restaurant. My wife has a blackberry in which she has a GPS tracker app installed. I gave her friend the link to a live map showing her exact location that night (up to the minute), so everyone knew exactly when we would arrive. It is also a safe feeling that if ever something bad were to happen to either of us, we could look at a map on eachother's phones to see the other's location. We have a very trusting relationship, so we do not care about the other being able to see where we are (nor do we abuse it), though I am sure that there are plenty of married couples who would feel otherwise.

And for the record, I am not saying that this iPad thing is a total flop, I am just simply unimpressed and don't think that I will ever need a device like this considering the devices I already own. Apple could have made it better in many ways, and if it had a few more specific features, I might just buy one anyway to keep at my house for my family to use (my 4 yr and 6 yr old kids have already grown very accustomed to using a computer and are always arguing over who gets the computer next).

I will stand by and watch this unfold. PC manufacturers will surely have an answer to the iPad, and the competition will get fierce. I just hope that the PC manufacturers harness the power of Windows Vista/7 for tablet functionality...

Joe Diaz

I bet you in about a year they will come out with a newer version. You wait and see.

They should put a camera on it. Every one likes taking pictures and recording video! Then they should give it GPS just in case you get lost and you have your iPad with you, or you need to find a restaurant near by. Then it would be sweet if they made it like a fraction of the size. Maybe small enough to put in your pocket. Kind of like when apple made the smaller versions of the iPod. Since it would then be small enough to hold in one hand, it would be cool if it doubled as a phone too.

signmeup

Joe.... I think you're on to something.
Not putting a camera in the ipad was probably smart. Can you imagine taking someone's photo with that thing? Smile everyone...I'll just snap your photo with this serving tray.

andy

I can't really see the need to reinvent the book; a method of storing knowledge which has been effective for thousands of years.

Books are compact, portable, durable storage devices which require no electricity to use or operating systems to run; in many respects no digital gizmo can match the performance of a proper book.

Once publishers have sold everyone on Ereaders they'll stop making proper books and we'll be left paying the same price for a digital file, a file which can be lost or rendered unusable by the march of technology. Once paper printing is gone publishers will crank up the cost of online content, Mr Murdoch has already said that all news international websites are going pay per view.

Joe Diaz

Joe.... I think you're on to something.
Not putting a camera in the ipad was probably smart. Can you imagine taking someone's photo with that thing? Smile everyone...I'll just snap your photo with this serving tray.

That is why you make it small enough to fit in your pocket. I'm telling you Apple should hire me for R&D... that is what I call innovation.:ROFLMAO:

No but in all seriousness, a camera on this device would be a pro. Not so much to replace a digital camera but to act as a webcam. Think Skype or other video chatting programs, or creating your own podcasts. I mean even the majority of the netbooks that have been out for a while now have built in webcams.

I mean what was Apple thinking? No multitasking? That's huge. Why did they put a phone OS on this thing when everything the competition is coming out with (or already has out) has a full blown OS.

App Store??? The ability to use iPhone Apps on this thing??? OOOOOO thanks Apple.:rolleyes: How about an actual OS so that I can use all the software I already own or have access to an uncountable number of "apps" that I'm not forced to purchase through Apple's store.

I mean how can they claim this is "the best way to experience the web" when you can't view flash. Again, this isn't a little thing, this is huge. I could seriously understand this shortcoming if there weren't all these tablet PCs in the market that have flash support.

Look, I'm not being critical just to be an a$$ or because I some how have a grudge against Apple. I actually was going to get an HP tablet PC before Christmas, but was convinced to hold off and wait for this "game changing" Apple product. I was seriously let down. There isn't one thing about this that is innovative. Better products that do the exact same thing, and more, have been out for a while now. I know because I've been in the market for one and have been doing the research.

What is the point of having a touchscreen when you can't use it for handwriting recognition, or for illustrating. That is what I look for in a tablet. I don't need a touchscreen to browse the internet or look through photos. I think it's silly to read books on digital display. I like to keep my music on a device I can drop in my pocket and go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this device will make a lot of people happy and I'm glad for them. It's not a total waste of money, but it didn't live up to the hype, at the very least you have to admit that. The iPad is seriously missing important features that other products have had for a while now.

I really do hope the iPad is a huge success, because I believe it will show other companies that these tablets are marketable, and then we will begin to see real innovation and the features I believe should be standard on gadgets like this.

Lunatic Taskbar

For me it would be great to show customers the portfolio upon it. HOWEVER, They seem just as happy viewing it on the touch. (if im out and about with out anything else with me).

It seems to me the ipad (very bad name) Is all about "obtaining" content as opposed to "creating" content.

So lacking the ability to create upon it, and it not being pocketable it would be a no for me. For the screen size of 9.7 I would probably just take my 17" Macbook Pro or the 13.3 Macbook.

One of the funniest things I read about it was... In a few years it will be a quarter the size and you will be able to make calls from it. LOL

Ian