• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gimme that thang!!!!!! apple keynote in progress!!!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
If this iPad goes well for Apple, we will see a slew of new tablets come from all of the pc manufacturers shortly

I agree. I think a lot of them were waiting to see what Apple released.

I just hope Amazon reduces the price on the KindleDX to $100 or so. I would really like to have one of those.

Flame

Definitely not impressed. Basically they just blew up the iphone. Dumb. My 5 year old laptop would run circles around it. I can take pics, multitask, run my art programs and still browse the web.

I don't own a single Apple product and really see no reason to. It's like being bi or wearing skinny jeans these days... you just do it cuz it's "in".

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It's not supposed to replace a laptop. They don't want it to at this point, otherwise it will cannibalize sales of their laptops. Plus technology does not allow for something that thin to have the horsepower of a laptop. Not yet at this price point

I am a big apple fan, but at this point I don't have a need for it. I think what will make the tablet flourish will be the apps created for it. Someday we will all be carrying around something similar to this. They are just trying to start something early. The price will come down and the features will start making more sense. I think there is a huge potential, but the general public is not entirely ready for this. Not too bad though for version 1.0

I think too many people thought it would be a tablet computer. It's not that at all and I knew it wouldn't be. This technology will carryover in future versions of the laptops. I would like a laptop without the lid and I could draw on it just like a Wacom Cintiq.

Don't forget, when the ipod came out many people predicted it would fail. MP3 players already existed and they wondered what Apple knew about music players. They predicted it would fail

Same deal with the iphone. Lots of naysayers

iSign

I find the know-it-alls around here to be very entertaining... big-ass, ugly, stupid, useless & dumb...

too bad Apple doesn't have access to 20 guys like the replies in this thread... maybe then they would have their finger on the pulse of their market...

...wait, maybe they do have 20 or more people looking into these nay-sayers opinions... hmm could it be they know their market & producrt better then the average signs101 nay-sayer ...nahhhh

CES020

My iphone will control my CNC router, so I'm sure someone will develop apps for things like this. Maybe it's you?

Flame

I find the know-it-alls around here to be very entertaining... big-ass, ugly, stupid, useless & dumb...

I'm a potential buyer, as is anyone, I don't like it. I could care less what others do, just my personal flavor.

Mosh

So what can it do my iphone of laptop can't? Doesn't look like you can stick this in your pocket, and there are not USB ports, so????? What does it replace for me???

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks pretty neat.
It would not work for me.
I have a hard enough time keeping my glasses clean enough to see through.
Give me something that I need to poke at with my sweaty, greasy hands and I would go nuts trying to keep the screen clean and clear.
Maybe for working people who's hands are not normally operating room sterile they could add on a small set of windshield wipers & spray washer.

particleman

There are some things about this that are cool, but it seems there are some major draw backs that have carried over from running essentially a phone OS. The browser still doesn't support flash, while not a huge deal on the iphone, this is a big deal to me. Same thing for multitasking. The whole closed platform/app store model I don't like either. I'd like to play with one in the store, but this doesn't seem to be anything I will be interested in personally.

hmmm.. I see google/android tablet on the horizon.

cgsigns_jamie

I'll have one... I've got an iPhone 3Gs and a MacBook Pro.. this will be the perfect in-between machine.

I know that the iPad is not designed to be a Tablet PC... it's closest completion would be the amazon Kindel or any other ebook reader. This won't become my next design computer for sure. It'd be great for browsing the web or taking notes.

I bought an IBM X41 tablet PC when those first came out and I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the performance (and I ordered a fully loaded version, not the low end budget version).

I don't think XP was a very good candidate for a tablet operating system. Then I put Vista on it... whoa was that a mistake! Haven't tried putting 7 on it... sorta just use as a secondary monitor for our surveillance system so it just sits on the desk now a days.

I just hope the iPad has an app like MS OneNote (one of the few great Microsoft applications). I'd also like to see a stylus to take handwritten notes.

All in all I'm an Apple nerd and will be first in line to buy the 64gb 3G version.

They really couldn't come a better name than the I-Pad? Sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Maybe they should market the one with the most memory as the "Max-I-Pad".

SignManiac

I think it's a great media device and would be handy to have on the arm of my couch so I don't have to get up to walk ten feet over to my tablet PC sitting on my kitchen table because the screen on my iPhone is smaller than I'd like to be surfing the net.

They really did drop the ball with no multitasking or flash capability. I also think its stupid they only offer 64gb of storage, 128gb is what I would want. It's definitely a niche product to fit a specific need. I think Vector Dr. is right and it will lead the way to other future tech devices.

They did a good job I think but it's not something I need, or have to have.

acothran

It's like being bi or wearing skinny jeans these days... you just do it cuz it's "in".

Flame, since being on S101, I've always enjoyed your posts, your designs and input but there was really no need for a sexual orientation comment to stereotype people who use Apple products. I drive a 19 year old Ford Ranger (definitely not hip or "in"), wear normal clothes, have a wife and three kids, and am a pretty average American male. I own an iPod 5G video, iPod Touch, iMac, and at work I design on a Mac Pro and prefer those because they've worked well for me.

I formerly worked doing a lot of video editing/production and started using Mac because they had a video suite (Final Cut Pro) that was much more bang for the buck than the Windows equivalent. I found that Mac to be reliable and it worked well for me, so I've stayed with it.

Seems like there are a few here that when Mac/Apple is mentioned, begin the stereotyping and bashing those of us that use there products. I have used Windows and Mac, and found that Mac works better for me.

Dan Antonelli

I'll be getting it. Shocking I know. Useful for myself, my kids, my wife who loves to read, etc.

Hey I figure I owe it to them considering what my stock price has done since I bought it.

I have iPhone and MacBook Pro - but this will be good for vacays, and other on the road uses, where a laptop is slightly overkill, and my iphone is slightly underkill. Additionally, I'm exciting about how it may change the publishing market, and having all my books in one device will be pretty nifty.

I think they were smart to align with all the book publishers.

While I wish it had a camera, and perhaps some other features, I'm sure they will come. The biggest downer I saw was lack of flash, and really thats kind of major. But given the horsepower this thing has, I can't imagine the final version not being able to support flash.

acothran

So what can it do my iphone of laptop can't? Doesn't look like you can stick this in your pocket, and there are not USB ports, so????? What does it replace for me???

Mosh, it might not replace anything for you. But to answer your question, one big difference is that you can run iWork (Apple's office suite) on the iPad and you can use a full size external keyboard by using the new keyboard/iPad dock or an Apple wireless keyboard. If you need to type up a spreadsheet or word processing document, you can do that on the iPad. Also, it will file manage much better than the iPhone/iPod Touch. From what I gather, you will be able to save/manage files which the iPhone does not natively do. The big market I see for the iPad is the e-reader market. Right now the Amazon Kindle DX is $489 ($10 less than the entry-level iPad) and it is essentially a reader and dictionary with a gray-scale display. Finally, if you buy the 3G version, you aren't required to sign a contract but can purchase 3G service on a month-to-month basis as needed for $15 (250MB limit) or $29 (unlimited). This is a nice option for someone who uses the iPad often at home or in other Wifi environments but might want to purchase 3G service while they travel or go on vacation. Just some things I gather that sets it apart from the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Allen

acothran

The biggest downer I saw was lack of flash, and really thats kind of major.

I like/use Apple products but don't think they should say the iPad is the "best way to experience the web....." if it doesn't support flash. Flash is a much too integral part of the web to be excluded from products like iPad.

Allen

Mosh

It's like being bi or wearing skinny jeans these days... you just do it cuz it's "in".
I just started liking Flame again........LOL

NO FLASH NO YOUTUBE!!!! Not for me!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
apple created an app for the iphone and it works the same way on the ipad. You can watch youtube videos on your iphone. It is a workaround for the flash issue.

I don't miss flash at all though on my iphone. I rarely use my phone for the web anyway due to the small screen

The one thing that does stand out is the user interface that apple is so good at. Just watch the video at apple's site and notice how it handles email, photos, book reading, etc. They excel with the interface. It just works

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Someday we won't be reading magazines and newspapers any more in a printed format. We canceled our newspaper recently. I can get all my news online and it is more current. All the magazine, newspapers, book publishers etc see where we as a society are headed and will embrace this technology

I like the ipad (hate the name) but am not ready to buy one yet