• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gimme that thang!!!!!! apple keynote in progress!!!

B Snyder

There has got to be a large number of people that are only aware of this product through the press and by word-of-mouth simply because of the jokes about it's "iPad" name. For that, I think the name was well chosen.

Doyle

That is why you make it small enough to fit in your pocket. I'm telling you Apple should hire me for R&D... that is what I call innovation.:ROFLMAO:

No but in all seriousness, a camera on this device would be a pro. Not so much to replace a digital camera but to act as a webcam. Think Skype or other video chatting programs, or creating your own podcasts. I mean even the majority of the netbooks that have been out for a while now have built in webcams.

I mean what was Apple thinking? No multitasking? That's huge. Why did they put a phone OS on this thing when everything the competition is coming out with (or already has out) has a full blown OS.

App Store??? The ability to use iPhone Apps on this thing??? OOOOOO thanks Apple.:rolleyes: How about an actual OS so that I can use all the software I already own or have access to an uncountable number of "apps" that I'm not forced to purchase through Apple's store.

I mean how can they claim this is "the best way to experience the web" when you can't view flash. Again, this isn't a little thing, this is huge. I could seriously understand this shortcoming if there weren't all these tablet PCs in the market that have flash support.

Look, I'm not being critical just to be an a$$ or because I some how have a grudge against Apple. I actually was going to get an HP tablet PC before Christmas, but was convinced to hold off and wait for this "game changing" Apple product. I was seriously let down. There isn't one thing about this that is innovative. Better products that do the exact same thing, and more, have been out for a while now. I know because I've been in the market for one and have been doing the research.

What is the point of having a touchscreen when you can't use it for handwriting recognition, or for illustrating. That is what I look for in a tablet. I don't need a touchscreen to browse the internet or look through photos. I think it's silly to read books on digital display. I like to keep my music on a device I can drop in my pocket and go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this device will make a lot of people happy and I'm glad for them. It's not a total waste of money, but it didn't live up to the hype, at the very least you have to admit that. The iPad is seriously missing important features that other products have had for a while now.

I really do hope the iPad is a huge success, because I believe it will show other companies that these tablets are marketable, and then we will begin to see real innovation and the features I believe should be standard on gadgets like this.

This is exactly that same way I feel about it..... I just couldn't explain it as well as you. :thumb:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I might be wrong... but I forsee a touch screen version of the Mac laptops in the future. The tampad (err ipad) looks like the lid of my laptop

GypsyGraphics

Yep, no OS is a serious disappointment! There's certainly enough lacking in v1 that, i think, v2 will be out in record time!

On the book thing though.... my kids wouldn't carry a Kindle, but they'd carry this. I've said for at least 10 years that kids shouldn't be carrying backpacks that weigh 30 lbs around, they should have ebooks. The weight, the waste and the cost... it's insane.

Can you image the saving to schools and parents! I've paid upwards of $300 for a single book!!!! So, for not much more than 1 book they could have this.

Still.... come on Steve buddy... gimme an OS would ya!

MachServTech

Have you guys really watched how teenagers use computers? this is tailor made for listening to music while: watching youtube/surfing/facebook/IM/downloading music.....oh and downloading the latest Twilight book.
This is a household entertainment device!
Does anybody sit on the couch with their laptop surfing while watching the evening news? I do, and I think that this would be better, for that purpose.

Look for a more business/graphics/poweruser product in the near future (clue: look at Apple's product lines....)

artsnletters

Pure and simple this is not a tablet, in the traditional designer sense...it's a device to enable Apple to do for publishing what it did for music. You're going to be able to rent or download books, magazines and daily periodicals (hell they may save a few newspapers with this!). They didn't build it to replace a laptop and give you the ability to run applications-you want that buy a lap top. Strictly a device to compete and kill the Amazon Kindle in the e-book arena and bring more people into the Apple fold. Like the iPhone and IPod, this will open Joe Public up to Apples products, like it or not. You guys are totally overthinking what the focus of this is. again, JMO...
Tim

Joe Diaz

Have you guys really watched how teenagers use computers? this is tailor made for listening to music while: watching youtube/surfing/facebook/IM/downloading music.....oh and downloading the latest Twilight book.
Except you can't do anything "while"... because it doesn't support multitasking. I hope at the very least when they say no multitasking they don't mean music while you play/work/surf the net on other apps. But to me no multitasking means no multitasking. A question from you folks that have an iPhone: can you listen to music and use other apps at the same time? Because from my understanding the iPad is supposed to be set up the same way.

And I think you can do youtube trough a youtube app, but because the iPad doesn't support flash, you wouldn't be able to surf youtube or the countless other sites like it on the iPad's safari because those sites use flash. Now what happens if you favorite video site doesn't have an app. I know as a web designer that implements flash in our work, I'm seriously upset about the lack of flash.

I hope I'm wrong on some of these, but from what I've been reading so far unfortunately I don't think I am. But... fortunately these are software related issues, I would imagine in time a new update would fix a few of these shortcoming. Let us hope.

TheSnowman

Pure and simple this is not a tablet, in the traditional designer sense...it's a device to enable Apple to do for publishing what it did for music. You're going to be able to rent or download books, magazines and daily periodicals (hell they may save a few newspapers with this!). They didn't build it to replace a laptop and give you the ability to run applications-you want that buy a lap top. Strictly a device to compete and kill the Amazon Kindle in the e-book arena and bring more people into the Apple fold. Like the iPhone and IPod, this will open Joe Public up to Apples products, like it or not. You guys are totally overthinking what the focus of this is. again, JMO...
Tim
I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Never thought of it this way, but it's just the new iPod, for literature.

veloxgraphics

Yes, i can listen to music and run other apps at the same time on my iPhone. Just cant run 2 other apps at the same time.

MachServTech

Except you can't do anything "while"... because it doesn't support multitasking. I hope at the very least when they say no multitasking they don't mean music while you play/work/surf the net on other apps. But to me no multitasking means no multitasking. A question from you folks that have an iPhone: can you listen to music and use other apps at the same time? Because from my understanding the iPad is supposed to be set up the same way.

I hope I'm wrong on some of these, but from what I've been reading so far unfortunately I don't think I am. But... fortunately these are software related issues, I would imagine in time a new update would fix a few of these shortcoming. Let us hope.

One of many questions I am willing to pay $500 to find out....even if its just an e-book killer....I'd like to have a better way to brows the internet and reply to emails or watch movies when I travel...than my phone.....or my laptop.
We will see, but I doubt it is as limited as the iPhone.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Tim

Yup, that is what I was thinking several months ago...

My tweet from October
"Prediction: apple tablet will do for the print/newspaper industry what it did for the music industry with Itunes
10:11 AM Oct 5th, 2009 from web"

https://twitter.com/TheVectorDoctor

I never thought it would replace laptops, why take away from those sales. It is just another device

artist4christ

Im pretty excited about the iPad, just because it will make life easier when it comes to doing school work. All of my books are ebooks and its a pain to work on the computer and have to flip flop between screens. Even with 2 screens this will make life easier, and it a digital version of a document holder.

I am disappointed in the lack of flash support. 5 years from now that wont be an issue due to the abilities of HTML5, but right now flash is still very commonly used.

animenick65

One of many questions I am willing to pay $500 to find out....even if its just an e-book killer....I'd like to have a better way to brows the internet and reply to emails or watch movies when I travel...than my phone.....or my laptop.
We will see, but I doubt it is as limited as the iPhone.

If thats what you primarily will be doing with it, then I'd say its a perfect fit for you.

The lack of multitasking is a bit troubling. You can't just throw OSX on it and call it a day. Can you imagine trying to accomplish some of the normal, every day tasks on a normal OS with your fingers? Lets face it, most of us have stubby fingers that cover quite a large surface area of a screen if touched. Many of the most common tasks you can do in an OS would be quite difficult using only your fingers. A mouse is fairly precise. That being said, if Apple wanted a full blown OS on the iPad, it really would need to take OSX and completely modify its top layer to allow for easier input. We are talking about somewhere right in the middle between the iPhone OS and OSX. I think this is something Apple would potentially do if sales of the first gen do well, but the cost and time investment right now is just too much.

MachServTech

If thats what you primarily will be doing with it, then I'd say its a perfect fit for you.

Can you imagine trying to accomplish some of the normal, every day tasks on a normal OS with your fingers? Lets face it, most of us have stubby fingers that cover quite a large surface area of a screen if touched.

I have very very big fingers and I manage fine with my iPhone....but I would love the bigger virtual keys on the iPad. If you used an iPhone every day you would be surprised how much of the email workload you take away from your desktop....Its not like you are using the keypad on a calculator watch or something!.....(not that I have ever used a calculator watch ;) )

2972renfro

Yep, no OS is a serious disappointment! There's certainly enough lacking in v1 that, i think, v2 will be out in record time!

On the book thing though.... my kids wouldn't carry a Kindle, but they'd carry this. I've said for at least 10 years that kids shouldn't be carrying backpacks that weigh 30 lbs around, they should have ebooks. The weight, the waste and the cost... it's insane.

Can you image the saving to schools and parents! I've paid upwards of $300 for a single book!!!! So, for not much more than 1 book they could have this.

Still.... come on Steve buddy... gimme an OS would ya!

Not until they come up with a much sturdier version. Have you seen how thin this thing is? No way it holds up to the use of a typical kid or lazy college student. Especially if they didn't buy it themselves

B Snyder

I think kids should get a little more credit. My 12 yr old nephew will be a typical freshman in high school next school year where every classroom uses a smartboard that is integrated with the laptop that every student is required to have. I doubt the iPad is any less sturdy than a normal laptop.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wonder if "No Multitasking" means you better not be trying to use your ipad while driving..... "But officer what did you expect me to do?, it really does take two hands to use this thing....."

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Grafix USA

After a week and some thought, I think the biggest thing that the iPad will do is change the future of e-readers and save a few newspapers by allowing full color readng of actual newspapers, magazines, etc. in their original layout. Basically reading a newspaper without the newsprint on your fingers. It can make reading a newspaper or magazine a much cleaner process than trying to use current websites.

SignManiac

It's not as complete as I would like but I'd consider buying one knowing it's limitations. It serves a very specific purpose. It's a well made piece of hardware that fills a gab between an iPhone and a laptop.

Regardless, it's a business write off if I decide to purchase one.