• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good source for large work tables?

Alamo

Looking for recommendations for quality large , ~4x8’ work tables, preferably on wheels and with some type of shelf or drawers to make use of the space underneath. Just wondering what other people are using, I like to buy based on recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I do not have time to make anything

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I made both of mine 5x12 then used a sheet of 5x12 formica on the top to make it seamless. Just wing it, it's not rocket science. Lean on some counters and tables at home to figure out the height you want and go to town

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Here's an easy idea for making one...

We just had a factory close that had 20 of these carts with a 3' x 5' steel top for $125 each (11 gage reinforced top with 6-inch steel casters). I bought one and could have kicked myself for not getting a couple more, but I just don't have the room.

They started with a purchased platform cart and turned the handles inward, and then welded the top on. Something like this would easily accommodate a 4 x 8 table top. Toss a couple of tool cabinets underneath it and you're good to go.

This is the first time I've ever had a table with wheels (I've always heard everybody here saying how handy it is). I'm definitely a convert. It doesn't have locking casters, so I turned the swivel casters perpendicular to the fixed casters and clamped them with c-clamps. I don't plan on moving it very often.

The second photo is the same cart all pimped out with risers and a tool chest, and a 3/4" rubber horse stall mat (for stone work).

And, oh yeah....I kinda got a thing for yellow.

(Check with Home Depot, Menards or Lowes....sometimes they replace their carts and sell off the old ones)

JB

1.jpg

Table.JPG

Last edited:

James Burke

Looking for recommendations for quality large , ~4x8’ work tables, preferably on wheels and with some type of shelf or drawers to make use of the space underneath. Just wondering what other people are using, I like to buy based on recommendations. Thanks in advance!

It wouldn't take but a couple of hours to put together something like the one I have. You wouldn't have to use sheet metal.

A few 2 x 4s, a sheet of 3/4" plywood, and a rhino mat and you're done. Harbor Freight tool carts are inexpensive as well.

JB

Alamo

It wouldn't take but a couple of hours to put together something like the one I have. You wouldn't have to use sheet metal.

JB
The problem is I need several tables and I don’t have any free time in my schedule to make one let alone many.

gnubler

I'm about to refurbish my work table. Going to add in some more shelving below, put in beefier casters, and a brand new cutting mat.

Back to the OP, I looked for commercial tables online because I thought it would be easier to just buy a new one. You can get metal ones if you feel like paying several thousand $, and they're just bare bones shells. Make your own, or hire a carpenter to make it for you exactly to your liking.

James Burke

The problem is I need several tables and I don’t have any free time in my schedule to make one let alone many.
Hold onto your wallet. And they're not very well equipped for storage beneath.

victor bogdanov

I use uline packing tables,

Very solid and will last a lifetime

I have some set up next to each other to make something like a 16ft x 8ft size table

Notarealsignguy

Then go to a cabinet shop and pay someone to make them. It's not like the table store carries big purpose built tables for the sign trade. None of us have any time but we all manage to get things done

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have some great, sturdy tables that were purchased. I'm not sure where my boss got them. On vacation at the moment and can't verify... But I believe he got them from Uline

Edit... I don't see what we have on Uline. So I take that back.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Here's an easy idea for making one...

We just had a factory close that had 20 of these carts with a 3' x 5' steel top for $125 each (11 gage reinforced top with 6-inch steel casters). I bought one and could have kicked myself for not getting a couple more, but I just don't have the room.

They started with a purchased platform cart and turned the handles inward, and then welded the top on. Something like this would easily accommodate a 4 x 8 table top. Toss a couple of tool cabinets underneath it and you're good to go.

This is the first time I've ever had a table with wheels (I've always heard everybody here saying how handy it is). I'm definitely a convert. It doesn't have locking casters, so I turned the swivel casters perpendicular to the fixed casters and clamped them with c-clamps. I don't plan on moving it very often.

The second photo is the same cart all pimped out with risers and a tool chest, and a 3/4" rubber horse stall mat (for stone work).

And, oh yeah....I kinda got a thing for yellow.

(Check with Home Depot, Menards or Lowes....sometimes they replace their carts and sell off the old ones)

JB

View attachment 157140
View attachment 157144
I used to buy random stuff like this at the auction and try to dream up a way to use it. Truth be told, it's crap and a waste of time. It always ends up being less than ideal but you force yourself to make it work. Just build exactly what you need, it works out better

James Burke

I used to buy random stuff like this at the auction and try to dream up a way to use it. Truth be told, it's crap and a waste of time. It always ends up being less than ideal but you force yourself to make it work. Just build exactly what you need, it works out better
More times than not, yes....that's the case. But every once in a while there's something with "good bones" that takes just a tiny bit of tweaking to make it work.

JB

rjssigns

Make a rough sketch and bring it to your local weld/fab shop. But bring two wallets because steel is going for stupid money right now.

I bet after you get the bid for what exactly you want you'll "magically" find the time to build your own. Just sayin"...

Stacey K

I like making signs
The ones posted above look nice but I am cheap so I made all my own tables and desk. When you are making tables 8's long and the lumber is 8' long there's really not a lot of cutting, you can make one pretty quickly. My son and I built 3 - 8'x4' tables in a couple hours.

GB2

Old Member
Strength and flatness are critical elements of a good application table. Making something or buying something of poor quality that will warp, sag, bend, etc. is not a good solution. Now, if all you need is a basic work table then you can make them all day long or use cheap folding tables or other solutions. We have made our own that you can park a car on and it will stay flat as glass. I don't have one of these but this Rhino Table seems to be a nicely purpose built table: