• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphic for a second entrance door

jkdbjj

Not at all. Dressing up the front of the building can be great if done properly. The problem you are facing is that none of the things you have suggested actually DO that.

The stated purpose of your original idea was to get people to use the correct door. What you gave us to look at was a listing of your products that kind of included the thought that people should use the right door. Those two things are different :smile:

I know, but after getting such negative statements I started thinking about the overall image of the business and less about the extra door.

Maybe with Gino's suggestions and any other suggestions, we can look at revamping the entire building. We are in the process of doing the lobby, so maybe it can be grouped together.

Anyway thanks.

Circleville Signs

I know, but after getting such negative statements I started thinking about the overall image of the business and less about the extra door.

Maybe with Gino's suggestions and any other suggestions, we can look at revamping the entire building. We are in the process of doing the lobby, so maybe it can be grouped together.

Anyway thanks.

I didn't see a ton of negative statements man. There was some honest feedback - which is hopefully what you were looking for. If all you wanted was a reach around and a smile, this is the wrong place to post things :smile:

You received several great ideas on how to accomplish you OP affect, and Gino gave you some even better ideas about how to increase your visibility without looking like design isn't something you do well. Take that advice to heart - don't get your feelings hurt - and above all else - LEARN.

You'll find that there are a TON of good people here who will help you by bending over backwards if that's what it takes. Just show a willingness to learn and be helped - that's all.

jkdbjj

I will try. I guess it is easy to get discouraged and maybe even a little depressed when feel like your climbing an uphill battle all the time.

I am tasked with rebranding this building and it is sucking the life out of me I guess.
Not sure how to hire someone to help with this part. I can't afford an ad agency.

Any ideas?

Circleville Signs

Well, first things first - What is your budget for re-branding the building. it's impossible to build a solution until you know what is available to spend.

There are lots of people here, myself included, who would be happy to help in any way we can, as long as it's not sinking hours a day into it.

For starters, here is a list of questions to ask (imagine that you are the client - these are the questions you should be asking them)....

1. What is the goal of the new signage?

2. Do you have corporate branding guidelines that need to be followed?

3. What type of distance visibility are you trying to achieve?

4. What is your budget?

That's a start. Answer those questions and we can try to help some...

Jillbeans

I'd make it simple; an arrow pointing to the correct door and a sign saying please use other door or not an entrance. All the other copy on yours overpowers the message that this door is not to be used.
Love....Jill

J Hill Designs

...or just leave this one blank, and put all the info on the correct door - people will be like "oh thats the door i use for banners etc etc"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You asked for help. Ya like mine.... use it. Ya don't like mine.... don't use it.

Fairly simple. I don't care what you do, I gave suggestions to a situation you brought up. Perhaps you don't like my ideas or examples, but someone else.... might like them, so please, don't take things so personally.

Try to remember that this is a pretty big place with literally thousands of eyes reading, soaking up information...... good stuff, lousy stuff and funny stuff. This conversation is between you, me and the others taking part presently, but down the road, the same audience won't be here, so people will probably read this with altogether different outcomes if we wouldn't muddy the waters with selfless acts of pity, which sets the pace. No harm meant towards you, but many people get frustrated with direct hits and sometimes, that's what's needed to get things across. For me, I don't display tact very well, but my intentions are not to hurt, but help and get to the nitty-gritty quickly and as precisely as I can.

Here's one for ya..... if we were all in the same room talking at once..... everybody would call it brainstorming or some other neat term. Good stuff, bad stuff would be flying around the room for minutes or hours until it was figured out. Now, unless someone starts getting rattled personally, the outcome will probably be very successful.

So, please don't take these things as personal attacks. They aren't. What you really need to do is learn who is serving up the crap and make sure they are speaking from wisdom, experience or out their bunghole.

After doing this stuff for 40 years, some things come into full sight instantly and it's always easier to tell someone else how to do something and maybe not even follow your own advice. :rolleyes:

Take care, it'll all come together and then you'll go...... dam*, that was easier than I thought.​

Billct2

here's idea

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 100

jkdbjj

Well, first things first - What is your budget for re-branding the building. it's impossible to build a solution until you know what is available to spend.

There are lots of people here, myself included, who would be happy to help in any way we can, as long as it's not sinking hours a day into it.

For starters, here is a list of questions to ask (imagine that you are the client - these are the questions you should be asking them)....

1. What is the goal of the new signage?

2. Do you have corporate branding guidelines that need to be followed?

3. What type of distance visibility are you trying to achieve?

4. What is your budget?

That's a start. Answer those questions and we can try to help some...
Well for now we are waiting on the new website to be finished. Next Tuesday I am told. That cost a couple dollars.
As far as the building goes, we have not set a budget. It has been more of a discussion about what can we do to the building to enhance the customer experience. Then, once we have that figured out, start looking at numbers and so forth. Money isn't really a concern in the sense, that we are not rich, but we have the money once we have a plan.

So, the goal of the new branding, is to create a professional image that people feel welcome and invited to come to us for their printing needs.
We want a place people will tell others in the business community about.

One of our advantages is we have great customers already that know other great businesses, so we would like to host functions here, which would require a nice space to entertain companies etc...

So that is roughly our goal for the space and the branding. Admittedly, we are WAY WAY off from that right now. Though we have the drive, and resources to make it happen.

Maybe an designer with architecture experience is the way to go???

Circleville Signs

Well, depending on what you are wanting to do with the showroom, an interior designer would be a good start. As far as the outside of the building though, you can get lots of help here. What is the primary type of signage that you sell? Vinyl only? Digital Print? Wraps? Flat panel? Electrical? Carved?

I've always been a big proponent of Grandpa Dan's advice when it comes to your own signage.

It has to look as good, or better than what you are trying to sell your customers. Now, admittedly, Dan Sawatzky is much more a brilliant artist than just a sign maker, but that isn't the point.

Check out his site at www.imaginationcorporation.com

You can see what his shop looks like. Upon first glimpse you know EXACTLY what you can expect if you hire him to make your signage. THAT should be the goal for the outside of your building.

jkdbjj

You asked for help. Ya like mine.... use it. Ya don't like mine.... don't use it.

Fairly simple. I don't care what you do, I gave suggestions to a situation you brought up. Perhaps you don't like my ideas or examples, but someone else.... might like them, so please, don't take things so personally.

Try to remember that this is a pretty big place with literally thousands of eyes reading, soaking up information...... good stuff, lousy stuff and funny stuff. This conversation is between you, me and the others taking part presently, but down the road, the same audience won't be here, so people will probably read this with altogether different outcomes if we wouldn't muddy the waters with selfless acts of pity, which sets the pace. No harm meant towards you, but many people get frustrated with direct hits and sometimes, that's what's needed to get things across. For me, I don't display tact very well, but my intentions are not to hurt, but help and get to the nitty-gritty quickly and as precisely as I can.

Here's one for ya..... if we were all in the same room talking at once..... everybody would call it brainstorming or some other neat term. Good stuff, bad stuff would be flying around the room for minutes or hours until it was figured out. Now, unless someone starts getting rattled personally, the outcome will probably be very successful.

So, please don't take these things as personal attacks. They aren't. What you really need to do is learn who is serving up the crap and make sure they are speaking from wisdom, experience or out their bunghole.

After doing this stuff for 40 years, some things come into full sight instantly and it's always easier to tell someone else how to do something and maybe not even follow your own advice. :rolleyes:

Take care, it'll all come together and then you'll go...... dam*, that was easier than I thought.​
OK, that eased the bruise of my ego a bit!

Seriously though, I do hear you. There is only so much advice one can take, right?

It will be at night tonight when my wife is telling me about her day, I will be drifting in and out of consciousness thinking about this stuff. It will be then that I will connect some more dots so to speak. (just kidding ladies, I listen to EVERY word she says!).

jkdbjj

Well, depending on what you are wanting to do with the showroom, an interior designer would be a good start. As far as the outside of the building though, you can get lots of help here. What is the primary type of signage that you sell? Vinyl only? Digital Print? Wraps? Flat panel? Electrical? Carved?

I've always been a big proponent of Grandpa Dan's advice when it comes to your own signage.

It has to look as good, or better than what you are trying to sell your customers. Now, admittedly, Dan Sawatzky is much more a brilliant artist than just a sign maker, but that isn't the point.

Check out his site at www.imaginationcorporation.com

You can see what his shop looks like. Upon first glimpse you know EXACTLY what you can expect if you hire him to make your signage. THAT should be the goal for the outside of your building.
That guy reminds me of my friend Nick. Nick is now an imagineer at Disney, but his site is www.seenickdesign.com
Totally different skill sets, but I bet they are kindred spirits!

As far as what signs we do, mostly it is just digital printing. Lots of interior graphics, store signage, tradeshow displays, banners, posters. Very little exterior or electrical signage. We use to do plenty of vehicle wraps, but have backed off due to local competition and price plummeting.

Aside from that we do most small format production in house as well, press work, copies etc... So we cater to the marketing needs of small and medium size businesses.

Does that help at all?

Circleville Signs

Sure it does! Now, the question becomes how do you visually communicate those things in an interesting way?

What about contour cut exterior wall wrap pieces of large format POP displays? You've got that huge brick wall that your tiny little sign is drowning in....

CentralSigns

Make a huge sandwich board to put your product selection on. Advertise to get people to stop by. Once there there show them the door to get in only.

signswi

Will the building owner let you do anything about that awful exterior and entrance? It's absolutely terrible. The solution here is a bit larger than just some new signs (though I think chaining it off and a couple of tasteful "use the other door" signs combined with a bright visible logo and ENTRANCE on the one you WANT them to use is a good start).