• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guys...Please help when you have time.

Fatboy

What you think of this design? Any sugestions?

Attachments

• Just Stickers Logo.png
    Just Stickers Logo.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 95

"Deposit Please"

That's Nasty! Doesn't grab the right attention. The fade stinks, the colors clash, the shadow for the line is pre-school. I would try more vibrant colors or maybe add a gradient & change up the font.

iSign

just stickers... no design service.
...kinda says it without saying it.
Pretty slick subliminal message :thumb:

Jillbeans

I think you need to consult your 10 year old kid.
:)
Love....Jill
PS
In all seriousness. It is very weak.
And the name implies cheap.
I would start in black and white, lose the gradients, and try a bolder font.

SignManiac

It's very weak in my opinion. It should be loud and big letters.

Attachments

• juststickers.jpg
    juststickers.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Design ?? Not so much, but.............. whom or what are you targeting ??

Just stickers doesn't say a thing. It could be anything from bumper stickers, to kid's paste on lunch box stickers to variety packs or to 'Smiley' stickers. What's your plan ??

Once you have a game plan, then maybe start making layouts.

Pat Whatley

Fatboy, something I've noticed is that you and another member here lean HEAVILY on effects when you try to design something. Stop with the gradients, and shadows, and glows. Design it simply in solid black and white. You can "see" it a lot better so you can check the balance and contrast. Once you've got the black and white nailed THEN you can decorate it.

Deaton Design

When I read this, this popped into my head. Granted, my head is big, so it bounced around in there for a few minutes,lol...

Attachments

• juststickers.jpg
    juststickers.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 75

Fatboy

Thank you for the honesty guys. I suck at this! But let me not give up.I will be back for some more punishment soon.! lol. Maybe I will ask my now 11 year old Gill. Thank you for the input guys. Once one get to know you guys you realize that you guys have hearts off gold and only want to help.:U Rock: Flip I suck!!!

Last edited:

Fatboy

Thank you 'Deposit Please'. Will keep that in mind. I find that the 'How to win friends and influence People' book do wonders for people with a low self esteem.:rock-n-roll:

OldPaint

fatboy, not to be nosy............but i have a few questions.
1. what made you decide to make signs?
2. what kind of art/design skills did you have prior to making the decision to make signs?
3. can you draw?
4. iam not being a smart ass in asking this, but in all of your posts you never said anything about them.
thank you.

Fatboy

No that is a very good question Old Paint. I don't think you are nosy at all. Let me tell you how it all started. I have been in the printer cartridge business for the last ten years.

Let me explain how that happened.I am forty years old. My wife Tracy and I both have a legal background.I am Afrikaans speaking(English for me is a third language....that explains my spelling sometimes...sorry)

Now for those off you that does not know the Afrikaners is the only white African tribe indigenous to Africa. Just before the turn off the century our practice did very bad.Like any legal office we use to go through ink and computer cartridges like there was no tomorrow.

I had to make a plan.So I bought some Parker ink and mixed it with alcohol.That was my very first ink. Did work like a bomb....if you liked blue!

I few friends and colleague's then ask me to help them as well. Within three weeks I had an amazing business refilling printer cartridges. Within a year we made more money doing this than we ever did in our practice and decided to screw the law and go into this full time! Within 8 years we had 9 shops.

This is when I had my first encounter with digital printers. It was love at first sight.At the same time my then accountant sold me his wife's address sign business. I thought to myself "How hard can this be?" hahahaha It is very hard .But strangely I love it.

We have then sold all of our out of town shops and I suppose you can say I found myself to be semi retired. I decided to pursue my dream and bought a Roland printer.

So that is my story. I am doing something that I love and want to spent the rest of my life doing this. One problem though.......I suck at design. So most of the time I use a professional designer but every now and then I try my hand at it........and then you guys know what happens lol.

Just one more thing...my other passion is fishing! I haven't caught anything in over a year now! But tomorrow morning early you will find me on the water happily casting away!

I live my dream and thank God for it every day!

Just this flipping designing issue!

Fatboy

Sorry one more thing...I feel this sudden urgency to explain myself to you guys.I live in a city where not all the sign guys have their own equipment so I do a lot of wholesale printing where they supply the artwork.

Sorry I did not gave you guys a better introduction earlier. Everyone on this site has been so good to me and I don,t think I could do this without Signs101 .

I REALLY MEAN THAT! Shot guys.:U Rock:

Dave Drane

Thank you for being so honest Fatboy, of which your name reminds me of a favourite motorcycle. Here in Australia we seem to have a problem with South Africans who move here and then try to treat us like we are natives and know nothing. What the others have said is totally correct. Do you have access to SignCraft magazines? If not I would suggest that you subscribe straight away and look carefully at some of the signs and designs. Even when your wife brings home the shopping, just study the labels on the goods. They are professionally designed to catch attention. There is nothing wrong with knocking off the ideas because they will never be recognised so long as you change them a little to make appropriate what YOU are selling.

Fatboy

Thank you for being so honest Fatboy, of which your name reminds me of a favourite motorcycle. Here in Australia we seem to have a problem with South Africans who move here and then try to treat us like we are natives and know nothing. What the others have said is totally correct. Do you have access to SignCraft magazines? If not I would suggest that you subscribe straight away and look carefully at some of the signs and designs. Even when your wife brings home the shopping, just study the labels on the goods. They are professionally designed to catch attention. There is nothing wrong with knocking off the ideas because they will never be recognised so long as you change them a little to make appropriate what YOU are selling.

No problem Dave and thank you for the advice. The immigration thing is a problem. I don't want to generalize but My opinion is that some people just immigrate because they can't make it here and then blame the country.South Africa like Australia is a great country and I don't understand why people will leave it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fatboy, :U Rock: Your total honesty and opening yourself up the way you did..... I find very refreshing and inspiring.

I honestly don't think OP was being mean and you took it on the chin splendidly. Your career now being an open book is something I don't think we need to do here, but your willingness to do so..... just shows me what someone will do and how much they will expose themselves to better their career.

Sure, you might've come in a back door, but in my book.... you're one dedicated person.

I completely applaud you for your post #15. That alone tells me of your determination and honest yearning to learn compared to some of these others that only tell ya.... ya gotta start somewhere.

You ever need anything, don't hesitate to call or e-mail me. :thumb: