• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here's an absolute new one for me, after 51 years.............................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no argument. You're wrong and I'm right. The end.

Now start your new post in the russian conspiracy thread about the price of butter in england vs russia. See how that churns out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With 35,000 posts under your belt, what's a few more?

That really seems to bother you. May I inquire why ?? For someone who doesn't offer much, you sure find the oddest things to pick on. You must be a riot at lunchtime.

I just looked outta curiosity,........ it's almost 36,000. Get it right, bozo.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
See, here's where...... maybe you're not old enough to know what came first.

Plotters have always been a machine which plots drawings, graphs and other things on paper or some other media.

Die cut has many meanings if you go back to yesteryear.

A die is anything that cuts. We're not talking about stamping, which is where many people get confused. So a die (a blade in our case), changes the shape of the original substrate. DIes are interchangeably called dies, whether they are the female part or the male part. Any die that removes, cuts, or shears material can be called a cutting die, regardless of its mechanism, while a die that doesn’t remove anything is a forming die.

What we all use...... is a simple die.

I still call it die-cut vinyl, mostly because it sounds better to say, your job will be die-cut high performance/cast vinyl than..... your job will be cut on a plotter. I've had many people look at me and say, I didn't know plotters could cut things.
I call it contour cut vinyl. But I'm a newb.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
So, this is what I gave him and this is his new proposal on the bottom. Looks like a kid's tonka toy. That grass is so stupid. That's outta like the 80s. No one does that anymore...... anyway, no one with credibility. When I was working on it, he said he didn't want anything on the bed at all.

View attachment 158438
The layout from your "competition" is awful. Spreading all that text on the body shows they do not know a decent layout and to keep it where the onlooker can see everything and not scanning the entire vehicle for info. And although the shadow/gradient is different than your die-cut, giving it some depth, it takes away from being able to read the company's name.
I've had a few customers over the past 10 years STILL want grass on their vehicle and I think the same as the other posters do: "why would you put overgrown grass on your vehicle? I guess you don't really cut it?" A "Tonka Toy" is a good description of what it resembles now.

Attachments

• 20170503_182636.jpg
    20170503_182636.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 175

netsol

See, here's where...... maybe you're not old enough to know what came first.

Plotters have always been a machine which plots drawings, graphs and other things on paper or some other media.

Die cut has many meanings if you go back to yesteryear.

A die is anything that cuts. We're not talking about stamping, which is where many people get confused. So a die (a blade in our case), changes the shape of the original substrate. DIes are interchangeably called dies, whether they are the female part or the male part. Any die that removes, cuts, or shears material can be called a cutting die, regardless of its mechanism, while a die that doesn’t remove anything is a forming die.

What we all use...... is a simple die.

I still call it die-cut vinyl, mostly because it sounds better to say, your job will be die-cut high performance/cast vinyl than..... your job will be cut on a plotter. I've had many people look at me and say, I didn't know plotters could cut things.
But, in truth, they probably were not aware that dies could cut things, either

ProSignTN

But, in truth, they probably were not aware that dies could cut things, either
Die Cut means cut with a "punch" & a "die". It comes from the machining industry. My father was a machinist and tool & die man by trade. If you ever set grommets by hand, you've used a punch & die. Punch does the cutting & Die provides the anvil. Simple.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lotsa people were/are tool and die makers. While you still are referring to stamping or punching, the simple fact that a precise pattern/file has been developed in some CAS, CAD, CAM or CNC software is the bottom line these vinyls are indeed die-cut. Traditionally, these new ideas have come about in the last 40 or 50 years, but are still considered the same basic technique. So, while you're dad could do it and make something by hand, our software and machines all do it by digital processes and machine with predesignated files.

Retro Graphics

"About 20 minutes later, he called me and said something was crooked."

Crooked to what ?
Where was the 'level' measured from for that line of copy, the ground or a body line on the vehicle ?
Was it really only 1/64th ?
Maybe his friend told him of a better deal somewhere else and he just wanted to get his money back so he could get the cheaper job done.
Nothing explains paying cash and a hefty tip as well, on completion of the job.
Do you ask for a 'job satisfaction clearance signature' when a job is done ?
Does anyone "?

The services offered on the ute tub look ridiculous and a total waste of space and material.
I wonder if a local trade school is doing it as a freebie......for student experience.
he probably has a friend just bought a cheap 24" china printer