• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Honest (yet stupid) Corel Upgrade question?

Jillbeans

Please forgive me if I sound like a moron, but I really am this stupid about software.
Was running Corel 12 on XP, just bought the upgrade (not full) version of X5 thru Corel.
Do I still need to keep my old version 12 on my PC or is it OK to uninstall it?
:thankyou::signs101:
Love....Jill

datablitz

when i upgraded from 12 to x5 i never removed 12, you can run both versions if you wanted to (not really a reason to) i dont know if it looked at the 12 install when i did it, or not but i would imagine if you have your 12 cd key you dont need to have it on there for the install. or just install the new version and then remove the old

WildWestDesigns

Now this isn't Draw, but it is another Coral product. When my mom upgraded Painter she had to have the old version installed before she could activate the new one. I am guessing it had to do with the activiation code. That code was "telling" the new software to look for an older version before it would run.

Jillbeans

The X5 installed properly as far as I can tell.
I can cut with it, etc.
The reason I'm asking is because I wanted to give my old Corel to a friend who has an even older version. (not sure if that is permitted!)
But I don't want to jam up the memory of an almost 4 year old PC, that's also why I wanted to uninstall it.

greenmachine

The X5 installed properly as far as I can tell.
I can cut with it, etc.
The reason I'm asking is because I wanted to give my old Corel to a friend who has an even older version. (not sure if that is permitted!)
But I don't want to jam up the memory of an almost 4 year old PC, that's also why I wanted to uninstall it.

You can uninstall the old version. However, if you ever need to reinstall the new version, if the old version is not installed, you must insert the original cd during installation of the upgrade. Corel states that you must keep the orignal to be entitled to the upgrade at the reduced price.

greenie

WildWestDesigns

You can uninstall the old version. However, if you ever need to reinstall the new version, if the old version is not installed, you must insert the original cd during installation of the upgrade. Corel states that you must keep the orignal to be entitled to the upgrade at the reduced price.

greenie

Yea, we had to have the old painter installed and I think we did uninstall the old version after the new one installed. It was either on my mom's or it was on the old ball and chains MacAir. I can't remember which.

SignManiac

I Have always deleted the older version once I was satisfied that the new upgrade version was installed correctly and configured to my personal liking. And in cases where my system crashed, I was able to reinstall the upgrade only as a stand alone as long as you have the registration key code for that particular installation disk, without needing any previous version.

One other thing that I do. I always keep a backup copy of my Coreldraw personal configuration setting file saved to a thumb drive and on my desktop, and sometimes a copy of it in my documents folder. This is the file that holds all your tweaked settings. I.E., number of undos, dockers that are open, color pallets, property bar and menu settings, etc. I save mine as BobX5.xslt so that I know it's the one for ver. 5

Comes in handy more often than you would think.

Techman

upgrade for corel has never required the older version be installed or a older version of the CD for anything.

Craig Sjoquist

YES and each time you install into another PC such as new one. I have #8 and did a upgrade to #X3 when had XP now in my Vista which #8 does not work in but X3 does as upgrade ... Course not tried not installing #8 guess next time I will because of last to statements.

Locals Find!

If your bumping up against your memory jill. Why not install a new hard drive and just copy over the old hard drive. Its really easy to do and its really inexpensive. You can get a 1TB internal hard drive for less than $200 just about anywhere now a days. Then you won't have to be worried about memory and can do as you please.

WildWestDesigns

upgrade for corel has never required the older version be installed or a older version of the CD for anything.

It did for Painter, I don't know if it was different from Draw or not, but it did for Painter and I could understand why. The CD has the entire version of the program, but you are getting it at just the upgrade price, so they want to make sure that you have that older version first, which would require the "upgrade" version to "search" out for that previous one.

Trust me, I wouldn't have had to try to find that old disc of the previous version of Painter if it would have just installed it from the get go the first time, but it specifically had a pop up that asked for the previous version to be loaded on the computer.

Maybe there is a work around or maybe the activition number that y'all got was to unlock the full version, I don't know.

iSign

Choosing to include absolutes like "never" and "anything" in any post is almost always a red flag to me.

I "never" believe somebody knows it all enough for their knowledge to apply to "anything"...

...doing so takes good information, from a reliable source, speaking from direct experience... and waters it down to suspect conjecture, all for the sake of an inflated reputation...

SignManiac

You can get a 1TB internal hard drive for less than $200 just about anywhere now a days. .

You're getting screwed if you've paid that much for a 1TB hard drive lately. I just purchased four of them recently for $75.00 each. They're dirt cheap these days.

Techman

It did for Painter, I don't know if it was different from Draw or not, but it did for Painter and I could understand why. The CD has the entire version of the program, but you are getting it at just the upgrade price, so they want to make sure that you have that older version first, which would require the "upgrade" version to "search" out for that previous one.

Trust me, I wouldn't have had to try to find that old disc of the previous version of Painter if it would have just installed it from the get go the first time, but it specifically had a pop up that asked for the previous version to be loaded on the computer.

Maybe there is a work around or maybe the activition number that y'all got was to unlock the full version, I don't know.

I am speaking only for standard Corel draw graphics suite. Upgrade or otherwise. Corel draw has never demanded a CD or installed for an upgrade. There is no secret key no work around. Corel Draw asks for a cd key to install. That is it. That is the experience of many others as well.

Yes, Painter is is corel product. I do not remember much about its install. I do not use it. Painter is sold as a stand alone for almost as much as Corel Draw. So it appears from what you say it demands a upgrade path. That would be good to know

WildWestDesigns

I am speaking only for standard Corel draw graphics suite. Upgrade or otherwise. Corel draw has never demanded a CD or installed for an upgrade. There is no secret key no work around. Corel Draw asks for a cd key to install. That is it. That is the experience of many others as well.

Yes, Painter is is corel product. I do not remember much about its install. I do not use it. Painter is sold as a stand alone for almost as much as Corel Draw. So it appears from what you say it demands a upgrade path. That would be good to know

The problem is that you said that Coral didn't demand that for anything. That would also include painter not just the design suite. That really needed to have been stipulated in the original post as it appeared you were talking about all their products.

Techman

whatever,,, so ya wanna split a few hairs?....
The question of this thread was Corel Draw X5 with Corel 12. Thus the answer was in regards to Corel Draw X5 and Corel Draw 12

Did you see Painter anywhere in her question.
Painter is not called "Corel" Painter. It is named Painter 12 in the latest version.

You yourself said
Now this isn't Draw, but it is another Coral product

so to answer Jill.
I and a few others here have Corel DRAW 9, X3 and X5 installed on the same machine. All are upgrades. None required a previous version.. All run just fine.

royster13

"Actually all you really need to qualify for the upgrade is having a registered copy of the software proving you have a valid license of a previous version. The upgrade is the full software and it doesn't require the previous version to be installed on your computer as it installs in its own location. Technically "upgrade" only refers to the pricing not anything different from the full version. So as long as you registered it to your Corel account you should be good to go." Quote from link below:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=41402&start=0

Last edited: