• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hours?

Sven

Just wondering what hours most people are working, how many people regularly work weekends and whether you post your hours at your shop for customers. I don’t have my hours posted, and I’m thinking it’s a mistake.

GypsyGraphics

my hours aren't posted but my clients know and my outgoing phone messages states... Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm.
i might be sitting here working till midnight but come 5:01... Sorry We're Closed!

setting and sticking to regular business hours, as far as speaking to, or meeting with clients, was one of the best business decisions i ever made.

i typically work evenings and a half day on Saturday... uninterrupted and very productive.

smdgrfx

Mon-Fri 9am-6pm

I'm here usually until 7 or 8pm because I don't want to jump into traffic, but I quit answering the phone at 6pm. I might come in as early as 7am, but do not start answering the phone until 9am. I do not work on Saturday or Sunday unless it is a installation job that I really want to get done. I am thinking of changing my hours to Mon-Fri 7am - 4pm and come in as early as 6am. It seems that I really get a lot done in the early morning before I have to answer the phone. And I don't get as much done after 4pm because I am just plain tired. So, adjusting my hours would keep me in the peak of my energy and get me home a lot earlier. I would still be open for 9 hours and I should be able to get everything accomplished in that time frame.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

My hours are more like GGs, except I will do embroidery digitizing all week and even when I'm on vacation. Just my response time in emails is a little bit longer when I'm on vacation for digitizing. I mainly do that, because I do a lot of digitizing for other embroidery shops and it's always now now now. But the pay is good and oddly enough it's steady. I might still answer the phone a little later if I'm working late, but most of the time I don't unless I'm expecting the call.

GypsyGraphics

My hours are more like GGs, except I will do embroidery digitizing all week and even when I'm on vacation. Just my response time in emails is a little bit longer when I'm on vacation for digitizing.

i don't reply to emails outside of business hours either. but i must say, it took a couple of years of being run ragged, feeling like i was on 24 hour call, to realize how important it was.

for the first few months, clients would leave messages that said stuff like...
"come on, pick up the phone, i know you're still working."

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Mon - Fri 7am until 4:30pm.
We don't schedule anything for Sat. but work 3 out of 4 Sat. mornings to "catch up".
A full week is truely a blessing.

SignManiac

I average 35 hours a week and weekends are off limits with a couple of rare exceptions. I paid my dues many years ago, so I try to play harder than I work.

GregT

We are there from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. Phones don't get answered before or after those times. I will go in 6:30am and work til 6:00pm getting things done. Saturdays I'm there in the AM but the lights don't go on.

cdiesel

Hours are 8:30-5 M-F. We typically run two production shifts, and installations are scheduled as necessary (often before/after hours for retail customers).

I usually end up working somewhere around 12 hours a day, plus a few hours on the weekends. It sucks, but it's necessary...

Fitch

Working for myself for 16 yrs, from home, I work the hours I need.

Might be 10, 2, 6, or even 0 hrs per day.

Generally work 2 zip codes or 10 minuites drive radius - whatever comes first.

I switch off totally, never get snowed, and just work till the work gets done.

Never feel like I "need" a vacation.

Guess I live in a "bubble"...lol

Cheers - G

OhioSignShop

hours

with commercial B2B and corporate clients (no retail) we are almost always available via Blackberry,iPhone and email. No posted hours, I meet 90% of my clients on site or at their office anyway

Richard G

I saw this somewhere years ago and it kinda stuck.
Hours
Open most days about 8 or 9,
occasionally as early as 7.
But some days as late as 11 or 12.

We close about 5 or 6,
occasionally asbout 3 or 4, but
sometimes as late as 11 or 12.

Some days or afternoons we
are not here at all, and lately
we have been here just about all
the time, except when we are
someplace else, but, we should be
here then too.

Closed on weekends unless
we are here, in which case we
are open, except when the door
is locked. Appointments can be
made for other times by calling
during our regular hours.
:doh:

mark in tx

The hours on the door say 9-5 Mon. to Fri.

I usually leave at 3 on Friday though. So I guess I need to change the hours on the door.
I usually get in the shop at 8 am to catch up on paperwork, etc... but I refuse to answer the phone or unlock the door until 9am.

I gave up on working outside normal business hours, the time spent really didn't match the money made.