• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I Tackle This Big Boy?

Stevealex

So as I show this customer a Proof for what i thought was going to be a Simple Overlay on MDO, She says: " I like it", then points up and says: "but instead Can we Put that design on this sign? ( Picture of sign below) Problem is Ive never done a sign of this nature. I need to paint and patch it then overlay cut vinyl graphix on it. I wouldnt have a problem with that except for the fact of it being mounted 20ft off the ground. What im wondering is, what is the best way to approach Painting and laying vinyl on this? Would you rent a Lift and attempt it that way? What Have some of you charged for a project like this? Any help would be very appriciated.

Thx

Attachments

• Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 94

shakey0818

I would probably sand and paint it then apply a stencil and paint the letters on or apply vinyl.I wouldn't add any weight to tat thing it docent look like it could Handel much more.

Stevealex

Ya I was wanting to somehow bring it to groung level but I have no idea how much it weighs and how thats possible. I hate to use a lift as it seems like an expensive and cumbersomeway to do it, but it may be about my only option

heyskull

A lift may be expensive and cumbersome but it is the only safe option.
I would organise a price for removal and inspection.
Then quote for repair and reinstallation.

SC

shakey0818

Looks like it may have been a lighted sign at one time.to take it down would require a licensed electrician.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was more than likely an exposed neon sign and someone has since removed most of the components from the exterior of the can. Can't tell, but more than times than not, the innards are still there. These were very popular in the 40's throughout the 60's. You would need an electrician like mentioned to disconnect everything and probably a crane to hold the thing up while your electrician does all the disconnects. Once on the ground, you’ll probably find so much wrong with it, it would pay to start over.

We’ve done two or three of these over the years. One, we simply overlaid MDO as you first mentioned and the others we used .080 aluminum. We never touched the electrical part. The MDO sign is still in place almost 30 years later. The business is no longer there, but the sign was still there the last time I drove by.

You'll need proper permits, licensing and insurance to tackle something like this.

Craig Sjoquist

What a beautiful shape that can has,
A bucket lift is the safest, easy, quickest, scaffold would be next.
Do not take it down, not necessary.
You patch the neon holes with 2 layers vinyl, clean some sanding, re-paint or full cover vinyl on the rest.

As far as this unique shape I would add some color to bring this out for retro look, plain one color just looks sad on this.

SignManiac

This could turn into a fun piece but I can tell you right now it will never happen. Beauty parlors are notoriously cheap. The client will want cheap vinyl stuck on it, in a typeface that can't be read.

But in a sign persons world of fantasy, I'd try and sell them on something like this. The sign is such a unique piece, it won't be necessary to fill every square inch of it with lettering. Use the right colors and it will draw the viewers attention to it. The lettering on the bottom is sufficient enough to identify their business. Bigger isn't always better.

This sign could quite simply be done with painted DiBond panels. Rent a lift and do it on-site the safe way. VHB and a few well placed discreet screws would handle this job easily. If it were planned out right, it wouldn't take no more than an hour or two to reface it.

Attachments

• Inspired.jpg
    Inspired.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 108

Marlene

This could turn into a fun piece but I can tell you right now it will never happen. Beauty parlors are notoriously cheap. The client will want cheap vinyl stuck on it, in a typeface that can't be read.

But in a sign persons world of fantasy, I'd try and sell them on something like this. The sign is such a unique piece, it won't be necessary to fill every square inch of it with lettering. Use the right colors and it will draw the viewers attention to it. The lettering on the bottom is sufficient enough to identify their business. Bigger isn't always better.

This sign could quite simply be done with painted DiBond panels. Rent a lift and do it on-site the safe way. VHB and a few well placed discreet screws would handle this job easily. If it were planned out right, it wouldn't take no more than an hour or two to reface it.

doing this idea would draw a ton of attention to the sign and it would be a show piece!

skyhigh

But in a sign persons world of fantasy

Bob, thats a fantastic reface idea/design :thumb:....but in the real fantasy sign world, the sign would be removed and trimmed out with neon.

I'm with those that wouldn't add any weight to the existing sign, unless I was able to inspect the current hardware thats suspending this beauty.

Tough call.....good luck.

John Butto

nice project

Bob, thats a fantastic reface idea/design :thumb:....but in the real fantasy sign world, the sign would be removed and trimmed out with neon.

I'm with those that wouldn't add any weight to the existing sign, unless I was able to inspect the current hardware thats suspending this beauty.

Tough call.....good luck.

Guy wires / angle iron from roof / electric hook ups. Way to many unanswered questions and I would be afraid to even touch it unless all the electrical power was turned off by a licensed electric co.

Stevealex

This is a really nice redesign Bob. The actual business that was there before is actually no longer in business. It is however another hair salon and I agree with the statement about these clients not being able to pay for what this sign would actually cost to make the sign Beatiful. She already turned down my estimate on her previous request to do 5 of her associates back windows in window perf. I told her design and install included for a buck-twenty five each and she said she didnt really have the funds so i doubt she would for this beast either.

skyhigh

This is a really nice redesign Bob. The actual business that was there before is actually no longer in business. It is however another hair salon and I agree with the statement about these clients not being able to pay for what this sign would actually cost to make the sign Beatiful. She already turned down my estimate on her previous request to do 5 of her associates back windows in window perf. I told her design and install included for a buck-twenty five each and she said she didnt really have the funds so i doubt she would for this beast either.

I would love to see what this looked like when it was originally installed. How about digging us up a picture Steve? May take a little investigative work....possibly the historical society, or perhaps the sign shop that installed is still in business?

:rock-n-roll:

ps. If she didn't have the funds for the window perf, then she definately dosen't have the kinda money it would take to reface the sign (I'd be 1.5k in place). Unfortunately the cheapest thing you could do for her would be to remove (and I would be around 500 just for that)

Last edited: