• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you remove Pylon or Post Signs that have become abandoned?

netsol

No, thank you all for your thoughtful and imaginative answers. I have been reading them, and just didn't know how to respond as they tended to roam in different areas.

1) My interest had been, since I did not see any of these signs coming down, the expense of investing in the tools necessary to remove such signs - I just did not know what the preferred methodology for removing such signs would be. Multiple individuals (Texas Signmaker, J Burton, Bobby H) gave me the answer on how to technically remove the sign -
to dig well below the sign, cut at approximately 12" below the surface, and cap the (stub is the term I'll use) remainder in the ground.

2) I have yet to investigate, but there is a chance that whatever code is out there is not being enforced because no one is bytching about it - not that I have ever been an activist in any area, and don't intend to become one. I had thought, since there was so many of them, the expense was enough for someone to specialize in doing nothing but removal of such signs if the city fathers were in the same mood of "beautification" by subtraction. From what I see by the responses, there are plenty of people who know how to do the work and can, the issue is apparently (1) is there a code with teeth in it and (2) who pays for elimination of a sign when the building is not at a state of demolition?

3) I believe that I have received the answer to my unspoken query; is there an opportunity to open a business that would focus on the removal of such signage? The answer is, there is very little profit available (because perhaps there really is no entity that wants to pay for this) and the equipment required is very expensive. So, even though it looks like an opportunity, the hassles of getting new work and the expense of the required equipment outweighs the provided benefit of beautification by elimination.

Thank you all for your answers and your posts. I am sorry for not replying, I'm not used to a board where so many post so quickly, and thank you all once again.

If this post helps clarify any of your comments, feel free to post again, all of your posts have been informative, and I apologize to those who I frustrated by not posting this sooner.
If i were renting a property, i would think it ws a big plus, to find a sign frame, and only need to pay for sign faces. When i drive by a sign frame, i don't see it screaming out for removal.

Is the associated building no longer there? Or has local governent worked their magic so well that the huilding will never again be inhabited?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hahaha... There's a quote, can't remember who first said it... "Once you have proclaimed something as paradise, you've ruined it". My point... If you have a good community, low population... Don't advertise, or every one will flock there. There by ruining it. We had it great here. Beautiful place to live, and it was cheap to live here. Word got out. It sucks. Our housing market is on the top ten over inflated in the country. Impossible to find affordable housing, or even upgrade as a homeowner.

Whoops, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was inviting him. Just to let him know that if he don't like pole signs, there are cities out there that prohibit them. (And look alot better in my opinion)

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
My city bans them, but the existing one's are still an eye sore when they're abandoned. AFIK, Hot Springs Village is the only city in my state that was founded with a signcode on the books. It's like the world's largest gated community, or at least I'm ignorant of other cities that operate the same way.
Hot Springs Village - sounds like a retirement home

I finally got a response from the Huntsville Code Enforcement. They said that abandoned signs are not allowed in the city limits, but the fellow also said he had only been in town 12 years and in the current position for 2 years. They have a multitude of issues to deal with, obviously, mostly with preventing infestations in areas where the landscaping of abandoned houses or ditch runoffs get overgrown, creating rodent and reptile issues. I will try to find out more about what the code says over time, I thank you all for your candid observations, suggestions, and wise council.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I finally got a response from the Huntsville Code Enforcement. They said that abandoned signs are not allowed in the city limits, but the fellow also said he had only been in town 12 years and in the current position for 2 years. They have a multitude of issues to deal with, obviously, mostly with preventing infestations in areas where the landscaping of abandoned houses or ditch runoffs get overgrown, creating rodent and reptile issues. I will try to find out more about what the code says over time, I thank you all for your candid observations, suggestions, and wise council.
I have a project in Huntsville as we speak and have been dealing with the permit office. Huntsville has some pretty strict rules on pole sign heights, face area and pole cover area. I couldn't get them to budge on one even being off the interstate, so I ended up doing a big monument. If a property owner has a decent sized sign, changes are it's non-conforming. If they remove the sign, they will not be able to replace it with something of similar size. People don't want to get rid of a non-conforming sign structure, that's a rare benefit to whoever owns it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Put some kind of 'Trump is great' related message on the billboard and depending on the area, someone will cut it down in the middle of the night, free of charge.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Boudica said:
Hahaha... There's a quote, can't remember who first said it... "Once you have proclaimed something as paradise, you've ruined it".

My guess is Don Henley. It kind of fits the narrative of some of his music (of which there is a lot that I like).

Commercial Realtor AL said:
I finally got a response from the Huntsville Code Enforcement. They said that abandoned signs are not allowed in the city limits, but the fellow also said he had only been in town 12 years and in the current position for 2 years.

That sounds like a business opportunity. Given what various materials like steel and aluminum are costing these days, there is a premium to be paid on scrap metal. If I was in that area I'd be talking to the property owners and removing those dilapidated sign structures to haul off to recycling centers.

Seriously, there is a lot of people who want different kinds of metal. Three years ago the "bone yard" at my company was getting piled sky high with all sorts of stuff. We barely had room for new things that got trucked in for new installation versus all the old crap we had cut down and stored on site. Over the past couple of years we have liquidated nearly all of that old stuff. Our bone yard is more empty now than at any other time I've seen in nearly 30 years.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Not to be rude but it sounds like you're out to cause problems for others in order to further yourself. Why else would you call code enforcement?
Realtors are starting to get really annoying and smell of desperation. I'm getting calls and texts damn near every day asking if I want to sell my house or sell my commerical property. Yesterday, I was trying to be nice saying no until the guy said I can cash out and lease back my property from whoever buys it. Presumptuous a-holes. Sorry dude, find another angle to sell your properties. The bottom will fall out soon enough and you'll be unemployed for another 10 years like you were last time.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Landlords are cheaper than real estate agents. That's why nothing gets fixed, let alone taken down. If you're looking for a business idea, get with the tenant and rent the sign out for advertising. Go sell the space and give the tenant a percentage.
I'm a landlord and I agree with this statement.

My tenant broke their window glass. I replaced it. Broke again and I said it was on them. It's been broke for 2 years with clear packaging tape and duct tape on it. I'll take it out of their deposit when they move and replace it. I don't have to look at it so I don't care.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm a landlord and I agree with this statement.

My tenant broke their window glass. I replaced it. Broke again and I said it was on them. It's been broke for 2 years with clear packaging tape and duct tape on it. I'll take it out of their deposit when they move and replace it. I don't have to look at it so I don't care.
You will if something bad happens. Looking at something or burying your head in the sand, doesn't fix anything.

You need to give them a written statement saying they need to fix their problem or in 30 days you will padlock the premises. They will be solely responsible for glass removal, new glass and installation of it parts and labor in all. Glass must be of the same consistency of existing glass.

What is it..... a handball court ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Salesman "Don't you miss being in the rat race? Now's your chance. cash out, and then you could lease the building for 32 months with that cash IN HAND BRO!"
Must have worked for him before, but damn that's stupid.
That was about how it went. These guys are giving the extended warranty calls a run for their money

Stacey K

I like making signs
You will if something bad happens. Looking at something or burying your head in the sand, doesn't fix anything.

You need to give them a written statement saying they need to fix their problem or in 30 days you will padlock the premises. They will be solely responsible for glass removal, new glass and installation of it parts and labor in all. Glass must be of the same consistency of existing glass.

What is it..... a handball court ??
It's the bedroom window, rough sex maybe? IDK. The thing is they have been renting for 4 years and they never complain and they take care of the inside and pay their rent on time so I just let it go. I asked them multiple times when they were going to fix it and it's always, ya we will. I have it documented so I'm not going to rock the boat. There's something to be said for renters that are clean, pay their rent and don't bother you...they are perfect!