• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you get customers if you started over?

J

john1

Hey guys, I was wondering how the shops here who already have customers would go about getting customers if they opened their shop again and was brand new.

Sure it's easy to get customers now that you have been around a while but what if you had zero rep in your community and just opened a retail shop?

Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Don't listen to OP - Lowball has a whole other meaning when you get past 65.

I'd pull out my portfolio and start hitting the car dealers and bus operators.
They are always needing something for the showroom or sides of their buses.

wayne k
guam usa

Dave Drane

There is a lot of truth in OP's post. I don't see anything funny about it?? It is what every newbie does and chats about right here on :signs101:

visual800

hit the streets and bushes. I would call everyone that is renovating and or building . watch the newspaper for people getting buiness licenses and or planning comminions for people wanted to do refurbs to retail areas.

call people about lights out in the their signs, call about damaged signs.

Techman

I did the start over deal. I was almost penniless.. I had to spend up on a credit card. The debt got up to about 17 grand before the income started to overcome the expenses. I feel I know exactly what I would do.

First,, have a theme and a business model in place.
Second,, contact only those potentials in that theme and model.
Hold a couple of open house events. You will get work.
Third,, set a price higher than any other business in the same model.
Fourth,, spend extra time attending anything and anywhere that draw business persons.

Finally,, have patience. Stand your price ground when that demanding client comes complaining about your prices. Especially at an open house event. Tell him to simply get out. The other guests clients will respect that and will openly support your position.

Been there , done that. Trophies on the shelf.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
starting over is a ***** ... and she has sisters to match. the key to just about every start over is foot traffic and getting your name out there fast, hard and cheaply.

Since you mentioned retail I will go by what most retail stores can do to easily get their name out. Coroplast signs are a big one for a retail space ... OP was right ... low balling helps initially bring in the foot traffic you need in retail to produce a sustainable customer base. With coroplast you can advertise your 'discount' you pland to lowball with. now with 99% of retail ... you will not find any production so the costs are a lot higher and any discount you give takes away from the markup you actually make money off of. the only real thing you need is a good product with a good price and enough capital to survive the beginning struggle even then retail his HARD.

as for another type of business (lets just say anything with a serviceable skill aspect like signs, plumbing or carpentry) Most everything starting out will be your foot traffic from place to place getting your name out there. getting your name out to homes is difficult since you can easily drown in advertising money and not get anything back, most of the time, well placed ads online and with the local news paper in their service provider pages will get you more than any yellow pages ad or radio spot. probably one of the most under utilized forms of foot path advertising i've seen has been coroplast ... with homes, they can easily stick on in the front yard of the home while they work on it (asking the owners first if they can) and it provides advertising to not only the neighbors but local drive by as well. also on the side of the road in residential areas (around stop signs and the such) people will have a higher notice rate than on busy roads. USPS actually has direct mailing now so you can send an entire area a post card to help them know about you as well. getting your name out to businesses is easier since you can just walk right in, throw a pitch of 'this is who I am and this is what I do' followed up with some media and your business card and out you go.

Hell, if I had to start from scratch tommorrow and jumped into the sign game ... first thing I would do is hit the ground hard going to office buildings and talking to office managers about doing some custom art for their work areas, most are drab plain areas and they will generally have a repair and renovation budget ... if you can stick to their budget and can make something that matches their company feel while still providing them with a color range to make for a more productive work force ... instant gold. with elections around the corner it will be rather wasteful to do coroplast in most of the areas that would help so instead what I would be doing is hitting the net hard with free give aways, I would also find some local coffee shops and the such in more commercial areas to give a bunch of promotional swag to give away for me. This is two fold ... they get something to give away ... gets more people in their store with the prospect of free **** without any cost to them ... and if you aim it right ... more business for you because of your bottle openers, sports bottles, frisbees, whatever. I think one of the other things I would probably do is find a local charity thing that regularly puts up things like banners, and tell them that I would donate a banner or three to them, but would have to reserve the right 1/3 of the banner for my own advertising ... you know ... the ussual "banner dotated by (Awesome Sauce Graphics I suppose)" ... easy stuff that uses very basic materials. And for the love of all that is unholy ... I would actually put my company name on my car that is prominant and well designed. I see 'sign' shops in this area put their name on the glass of their car and total size is like 4x6 ... idiotic.

rjssigns

Groundwork needs to be set in place so...

Business plan based on target market and demographics. Logo/branding set-up ready to go. Website ready to go with ability to add e-commerce.

Check for local business incubator. Our town has one attached to the tech college. 800 bucks a month gets you really nice digs plus a hook-up with SCORE and other organizations to help you along.
Shared receptionist/secretary, climate controlled, truck dock, shipping area etc...

Check the local tech college and get some free interns from marketing, web, and graphic design. Tell them what you expect then turn them loose. The instructors at 'TC love "live" clients and service learning for coursework and interns. Instructors will also clue you to the ones with an unholy amount of talent too. Could end up with a good employee or two out of the bargain.

With a solid base from which to work you can focus on actual production.

I am didn't started over. We just opened new shop. Fourth day in business. First day did a lot of miles car and walk gave away 42 business card talk to a few dozens small business owners: "NEW company. Wide range of services, 15% off from first invoice ".
Second day. Craigslist ad. 30min after phone call. Went to see client give them estimate. while there stop by and talk to five other stores. Got small vinyl install for tomorrow. Call and got a meeting with few POA companies. Blah-blah-blah.
In three days $2500 in estimates and about $1100 in OK to proceed. Plus $120 paid and installed.

Locals Find!

I would spend money on sending out direct mail postcards to every business in my area. I would bombard them every month with a new special. Then I would knock on doors with custom printed bags of popcorn with my Logo etc.. telling everyone I exist. I would also hire a sign shakers to stand out in front of my shop 18 hours a day announcing my presence for the next year.

royster13

I would knock on doors just like I have been doing....Nothing beats the impact of face time with potential clients.....

megacab

do not lose sight of the power of social media. As much as i hate Facebook and Twitter the target audience for, just "another sticker guy", loves those sites and you can build a following in a hurry. for me, word of mouth has been everything in this business. and people love to show off their new car "tattoos" on those sites and people ALWAYS ask who did the work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all.... join the 'Premium' section right here. :noway:

Letter your truck/trucks, put a big a$$ shingle out and pound the pavements.

Don't look desperate, but professional..... and don't forget to be polite. Know what you're selling. Nothing worse than someone knocking on your door for work and when confronted with the first or second question... you hem and haw and say, let me find out for you.

If you want to act the broker and do things by subbing out.... know that end of it, too. Don't ever use the saying everyone here uses..... ya gotta start somewhere.

Why are you asking a question like this ?? :help

Rather than trying to re-invent yourself..... hone your business and go after niche areas, specialize in certain substrates, target potential clients and keep what you have and weed out the ones you want to drop.... if any at all.

Some people after being in business, want to go in another direction and think they have to start over. That's foolish, there's got to be some things you like about what you're doing or you wouldn't want to stay in this business. If this is the case, the first thing to do is find out what you are good at doing and be brutally honest and then raise your prices to all the other cheap-Os and if they stay on.... at least you're getting paid better. After realizing your strengths and weaknesses.... you can really move forward in a positive way.

Good luck............

CMI

One other good area is to talk to small to midsize offset printers in your area and put together some samples for their salespeople of the types of work you do. I switched from the offset print world to digital a few years ago and just through salespeople I used to work with I get a steady stream of business, with the really positive side being that, for the most part, they understand why I price things the way I do, what "print-ready" art is, and that I can't always drop everything to print their job immediately. You may have to price a little lower, because the jobs are being resold, but one good contact with a salesperson can mean work from 10 or 20 companies that may not have ever found you in the first place.

signswi

Network, same as any business...join every business org in the city and shake as many hands and eat lunch with as many business owners as you can.

Get a really professional logo and branding package designed for you by a legit branding designer, not 99designs or some college intern or green freelancer.

Get a really professional website developed and seo'd (by legit developers not 99designs or some college intern or green freelancer, see the pattern?), buy PPC ads to drive initial traffic (or hire someone to manage your PPC campaign and cross-media social marketing).

Put up your logo up everywhere you can, put bugs on signs and you do make. Sponsor local charity events and get your logo on their stuff and your website linked from their sponsor section.

Scrape local business directories for potential clients, enter them all into a CRM, start cold calling and warm calling people you've already met, don't try to sell them. Ask them about their needs and find solutions. Good sales isn't about bullhorns it's about relationships.

Hire really good people who share your passion, set them loose to improve your processes (have written processes and policies!), focus on building a fun and effective corporate culture. Get rid of any trouble makers or complainers. Hire culture fits.

Profit.

Last edited:

tsgstl

First of all.... join the 'Premium' section right here. :noway:

Great point, I would be much more open if this was posted in the premium section. You can not spend a better $50 a year. Even if it doesn't lead to a lot of NEW info it makes you feel better about the wealth of info you get for free.

I would do almost exactly the same. Commercial real estate (site signs) is always a area that nobody wants to do. Reason is it is low profit and very physical. But the turn over is so rapid that you can build a nice clientele in months not years. Once you are busy enough to not make it worth it you raise your prices. You will lose major accounts but you will have so many other leads that turn into things other than commercial real estate. I get more new business leads from my relationships with commercial realtors than I ever have from any other form of marketing. Plus nothing keeps you in shape like digging post holes with a post hole digger.

Second I would go after vinyl only fleets. Heating and Cooling, Plumbing, Lawncare etc etc
Very high profit and the only thing you need in stock is some rolls of vinyl.

I would not waste my time with a high end retail location. Walk in traffic is never worth it. The time spent per $ for walk in traffic is x10 or more then what a nice customer that you only deal with via email.

Low overhead Low overhead Low overhead

Good relationships with your customers is priceless. If a customer considers you their friend they are more likely to send someone else your way and to not price shop.