• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hurry up! Hurry up and wait.

fresh

like so many people here, we've been quite busy lately. AWESOME. I love it.

What I don't love are the people who hound me for ideas, prices, etc., and then once they get a quote, they are no where to be found. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, so it really irks me when I spend X-amount of time quoting for someone (instead of doing layouts, following up on other leads, etc) and then they just disappear. I know its the nature of the beast, but argh. I ain't got time for that shiznit. And its most often realtors (two of the three jobs that are "rush" and I'm waiting to hear back are from realtors.)

My favorite quote from a realtor was "I'm spending my own money on this sign." :banghead: Oh really? Is there some sort of charity that purchases signs for businesses, individuals, and/or organizations? Because if there is, I'd like to be their vendor.

TheSnowman

I had a lady that called last Wednesday that needed a banner last Tuesday. Busted it out, and guess what, still sitting waiting. Oh well, ran her credit card and got my money for the rush. Realtors are for sure the worst at waiting on their rush jobs though.

HulkSmash

YEah, i tell most regulators that 25 is our minimum for coro signs.
no time to do 1 offs, and make literally 0 dollars on them.

no thanks.

Doc Savage

Had a guy call my shop last Monday looking for some signs. Came in about 5:30 and dropped off the copy for the signs. He stated at that time he wanted them Thursday. I did layouts for him and emailed him the files on Monday at midnight. Did not hear from him again until Thursday, at which time he wanted to nit-pick colors display colors in sample layouts on cut vinyl layouts. Friday I did the second round of changes. No word from him until 11 am this morning at which time he tells me a friend of his kid will be doing the signs because this guy is willing to take parts from his scrap yard in trade for the work. I am glad I busted my hump last week to get his art files done only to have the job yanked out from under me.

Guess who will be at the bottom of the priority list the next time he walks into my store.

What really makes me laugh is that he came into my store because he had another guy that had been doing his signs on the side whom he had been waiting 3 weeks for completed signs. Not to mention that I rushed to get a job done and jumped him ahead of another job that I had in the queue to have them done late last week. Yea, I am not bitter about this one.

ExecuPrintGS

We had a guy hound me on the phone last week, needed a quote right that second on 100 screen printed signs. Had to have them on a 1 day turn around. Came in for deposit and layout, signs have been sitting in our lobby all week.... If we see final payment we will be surprised....
everyone is in such a hurry these days, everyone wants everything yesterday and for nothing or they will "get it online" very frustrating indeed.

Techman

Came in about 5:30 and dropped off the copy for the signs

did he drop off a deposit check too???

My 17 yr son is learning this lesson well. He had two, count them,, two separate gigs cancel on him.

He was devastated. I took his next calls for a booking and told the possible client that a deposit was required for any further discussion. Its the same crap in every activity any more. Too many have no respect for the skills of others.

Bly

If you've been doing this for a while you'll know they have to wait until you are mega busy and they need it in 20 minutes.

Pat Whatley

He was devastated. I took his next calls for a booking and told the possible client that a deposit was required for any further discussion. Its the same crap in every activity any more. Too many have no respect for the skills of others.

Had a truck driver come in last Wednesday afternoon and needed truck lettering Thursday morning. Just happened to work out that I was going to be at the shop late for a different project and could run it for him. Got payment in full from him, had it for him at 8:30 the next morning. When he was picking it up he mentioned that he'd ordered it over the phone from two other shops the day before but got his order from me because I was getting them out soonest. Asked him if he'd called the other shops to cancel, he said he'd try to call them later from the road.

Weekend before last I broke one of my cardinal rules and went in to work on Saturday because my biggest customer had dropped the ball and had a bunch of convention signs she "had to have" on Monday morning. Busted my butt Friday and Saturday morning to get them out for her....they sat at the shop until Thursday afternoon. Turns out she told me Monday was her absolute deadline because she wanted to make sure I got them out on time. After 20 years of working with her, and NEVER missing a deadline, I felt like I'd just gotten kicked in the balls. Completely shot 20 years of goodwill out the window.

visual800

Turns out she told me Monday was her absolute deadline because she wanted to make sure I got them out on time.

Wanna turn this around on them? Just flat out say no, that is not possible, Maybe you need to go elsewhere and watch them extend that due date. People that call me all jacked up and excited and about to bust a nut, I ususally don't deal with. They are hyper, rabid and they are looking topass that onto someone else and looking for another to point fingers at when their crap falls apart.

We deliver everything we do. I do not have a ton of stuff laying around that people didn't pick up. You guys that deal with this on a daily basis and have just tons of stuff laying around I don't know how you do it. I swaer I would throw that stuff away after 6 months OR start diging thru it and using it for scraps

Craig Sjoquist

BOO HOOO...Been hand painting signs for going on 39 years & I love it Ride my bicycle for a 1-1/2 each way to sell a small job less the $200 & enjoy the ride see things never seen before maybe stop at a restaurant that I never ate before,,, life is awesome.

No I'm not so busy that things like this bother me oh well but I enjoy living when things get to me like pressures of life..I think about those in the Mideast protecting our freedoms OR those that are physically or mentally unable.

Yes printers have really taken alot of work from me cause of speed ya can do it & cheaper

But I enjoy my work .. even when I had to much work before, my skills sold the job not some machine & people would look at it with amazement not just go it looks nice.

Doing things with your hands & mind is so much better & relaxing then using the mind, typing, clicking, with challenges of how soon one can do it.

Best I can say for ya take control of what you are doing, so it does not stress you out on these little things, think about what others are going threw just to live.

rjssigns

I have an interesting new client that pays well. Interesting part is there is always 4 days lag between contact whether phone or email. (and they're always in a rush) Took me a bit to learn their "system".

Jillbeans

I have been busy for a year straight (after a two-year dead time and I mean DEAD)
The last couple weeks have been just plain insane (which is great)
Unfortunately it seems when I am busy it seems to send out some sort of signal that only @ssholes and weirdos can see.

I've been actually saying NO to people and it feels great. I get a deposit or paid up front for everything I do. You want it cheap, go to the local hacks. I had someone I did an estimate for, who kept rattling on about their branding, but who had no logo. They called me, not for anything we had discussed, but needing yard signs in two days...sorry pal.

I had some weird lady wanting me to letter some 50 year old canvas she has inherited from her dad! Sorry...I don't use any strange substrates. So she STEALS a corosign in a real estate frame and drops it off one night when I'm not home. She's called and left a message "You will make me my new business sign on the sign I dropped off" I emailed her saying I do not re-use signs....it's still sitting here like 8 weeks later.

Had someone wanting signs but needing a logo too, I go, measure their area, email a quote, never hear back until they email me asking if I had their quote ready yet. :cool: I told them to check their spam section to see that I did email them a quote. They replied saying that for some reason they could not bring up the logo design. :rolleyes: They just expected me to whip up a logo for them and send it for their approval.

But for all the idjits out there I have gotten some really tasty jobs, so I can't whine too much. I do hate phone calls, everyone says "Hello this is ___ ___ how much do you charge for a sign?" Like I'm sort of all-seeing psychic being who can determine their needs just from one sentence.

I do try to be nice.
Love....Jill
PS
I have had some lady stringing me along via email since February for a $25 corosign.
Hahahaha

I had a customer last week coming in to do the same thing, while I was in the middle of 4 police cars and 70 Pole banners for our city among a bunch of jobs.

It's not a huge task list but I'm a 1 man shop.

Any who, this lady came in, with no logo, or idea of what she wanted her artwork to look like. I told her I really don't think I have time when do you need it by? "friday".. I was like I'll put it on my list BUT I will not promise you that I'll get it done. I made up a pretty simple logo/artwork deal. Sold her $75 on logo design, $100 banner sale and she sent a huge radio station my way which just lost their sign shop they had been working with for some time due to shoddy work.

For once, one of those pesky customers came through and did some good!

fresh

I had a customer last week coming in to do the same thing, while I was in the middle of 4 police cars and 70 Pole banners for our city among a bunch of jobs.

Any who, this lady came in, with no logo, or idea of what she wanted her artwork to look like. I told her I really don't think I have time when do you need it by? "friday".. I was like I'll put it on my list BUT I will not promise you that I'll get it done. I made up a pretty simple logo/artwork deal. Sold her $75 on logo design, $100 banner sale and she sent a huge radio station my way which just lost their sign shop they had been working with for some time due to shoddy work.

This is exactly why I try to be good to everyone who calls. Our big jobs are mostly referrals. You never know who is going to remember you when someone asks.

Customstickerco

This makes me feel better.
I've only been running for 2 months but I'm already over the houdini's that are really particular for weeks and then disappear.
Im learning fast about the quality of the images I send them. I'm also temped to put them in the online store as a little......:toasting: Because its amazing how many requests I get for similar decals.

guess it is what it is.

mudmedia

That is a plus to customers like that BUT. I do not believe in telling a client that you will put it on your list but can't promise it. Due to the fact that if they have a deadline and I cannot complete their project by their deadline I would not want them sitting around waiting and then when the deadline is up it not show up and now they are given no time to try to find someone else to do it.

When you say no to a customer trust me there is always someone that will do it so I rather tell the customer no if I cannot meet the deadline therefore it gives them time to find a shop that is either not as busy or has the production to be able to manage the task.

Just my 2 cents.

Locals Find!

I don't know how many times I have to say this.

One, Realtors are a special kind of client. You have to understand that any moron can get a real estate license and many do. Most startup with NO MONEY. Once, you know this you have some advantages.

Second, they only make money when they sell a house and everyone is harassing them to get the house sold. The broker, the client, their spouse, their electric company, credit card company, and the finance company on their car etc....

Third, you don't give Realtors Options. You just don't. You offer 4 types of signs and some basic layouts. Period.

I don't sell one offs to REALTORS ever. Minimum order for a Realtor is 10 signs. I don't care what the material is, size is, where its going. It's 10 signs.
You don't want 10 signs well go online then. I don't have time for that. You have to put your foot down with them. Stick to your guns and the ones that do business with you will make you a profit those that walk would have cost you more in time then you would ever make back in sales.

Remember, those simple facts when dealing with Realtors. Save yourself the stress.

gabagoo

I think it is just a misconception by the real estate agents about wanting very few signs and thinking they can get them for what the company paid for 500 shells. Just need to teach them and they inderstand....none the less, they are a cheap bunch!!! lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen or heard of so many stoopid rules on realtors since post #17.

You're telling me, if a realtor comes in and needs 2 banners 4' x 20' advertising a building 'For Sale', you'll turn it down unless they buy 10 of them ??
A realtor comes in and needs a special ryder panel for a particular sale, you won't do it unless he/she gets 10 of them ??
A realtor comes in and wants a double sided electric sign for the front of his/her new building you won't do it unless they get 10 of them ??
A realtor comes in and wants 4pcs 4' x 8' mounted on sleds, you won't do it unless he/she gets 10 of them ??
A realtor asks you to instal 3 4' x 4' double sided signs, you won't do it unless he/she gets 10 of them ??

Aren't you the person that just the other day said you do 2' x 4' banners for $96 dollars each and you sell them all day long by subbing them out ?? I had no idea you were selling them in groups of 10 until this latest BS sermon from you.

Addie, just because you say something in an authoritative manner in BIG TYPE.... does not make it true or even reasonable, let alone believable.

In summing up your lesson here, I take it, you stereotype your customers, huh ?? Different kinds of people pay different prices and have varying stipulations in your business. Yep, you're the kind of business or person which gives any industry a bad reputation. Not only are you a dolt in the sign trade, but you even turn on the very people feeding your a$$ presently.

:thumb: We have a very good feel for realtors. Some.... very few, are con-artists, but on the whole they generate quite a sizable income for us.

HulkSmash

I don't know how many times I have to say this.

One, Realtors are a special kind of client. You have to understand that any moron can get a real estate license and many do. Most startup with NO MONEY. Once, you know this you have some advantages.

Second, they only make money when they sell a house and everyone is harassing them to get the house sold. The broker, the client, their spouse, their electric company, credit card company, and the finance company on their car etc....

Third, you don't give Realtors Options. You just don't. You offer 4 types of signs and some basic layouts. Period.

I don't sell one offs to REALTORS ever. Minimum order for a Realtor is 10 signs. I don't care what the material is, size is, where its going. It's 10 signs.
You don't want 10 signs well go online then. I don't have time for that. You have to put your foot down with them. Stick to your guns and the ones that do business with you will make you a profit those that walk would have cost you more in time then you would ever make back in sales.

Remember, those simple facts when dealing with Realtors. Save yourself the stress.

Who are you trying to fool? You just told me the other day i'm stupid for turning down a 2x2 banner.
You need to remember the things you have written before you come on here with this dumb rant.

we all know you'll do 25 business cards if requested.

:frustrated: