• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I am done working for myself....

signgal

oh I thought you'd be providing them... don't you breed them? rofl I never have gotten that joke!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
oh I thought you'd be providing them... don't you breed them? rofl I never have gotten that joke!

blueboy.gif
Well yes, I breed them, but then like any man worth spit, I move on.

GypsyGraphics

I don't want a cuddle! I want a freakin' place to work where there are people! if anything I want to have real arguments, get pissy, and put my head down and work while hearing the gripping (and crappy music) of my fellow coworkers!

In all seriousness... THAT EXACTLY IT RiCK!!!!!
Wouldn't you agree that in some way... that's part of the draw to S101? It's not just an informative site... if that were the case we'd all ask out questions and be outta here once we had your answer. The fact is that human interaction is VERY important! When you work alone it easy to get so busy that you forget that...
-
-
-
-
until you remember.

i've had some really good phone conversation with people here... and just recently a few video chats. i don't mind saying, i've fought the idea of video chats for years... but i gotta admit... there's something about having "face time" with some talking about business... like talking face to face with an associate.

if it were just to say "hey" i'm not sure i'd see the benefit of just shoot'n the sh!t for more than a couple of minutes... but i could see a group video chat fulfilling some of what rick mentioned... "real arguments, get pissy" with associate-like people.

talking as a group... much like someone mentioned in vinylimagez live feed" thread. through vinylimagez thread, i ended up talking to gabagoo, got to see some of his shop... and talking shop for a bit was actually really nice!

anyway... just a thought.

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have gone to meet-ups (very low turn out so I gave that up), some AIGA and SEGD events in LA and OC. I sometimes go to Flatstock if I get someone to watch the wife (usually in Austin, Seattle or SF. I missed BabyTattooville and probably miss it again in 2011, I better make it to DesignerCon (http://www.designercon.com/) or I'm gonna be ticked... I get some association, just want more... MORE!!!

GypsyGraphics

Rick, have you considered creating a business/working environment similar to what you found in Orange County. Maybe there's a greater need between Orange County and San Diego than you know.

I am curious to know though... if what you mentioned finding in the OC is different than shared executive office space? Seems to me there plenty of that here.

Rick

always wanted to go to flatstock, do you design poster as well rick?

I have done them in the 80's... I have done a few in the past few years. Was trying to get my kid into it, but he was not pushy enough with his band buddies to get the work, and then abruptly moved out of the house.

Rick

I got a few more resume responses...

One was too experienced...
One was, my Corel skills were "probably" not up to par for what he needs and later admitted (the pay was low)
The other said thank you for submitting your resume, we will add your resume to our files and may contact you if you fill a need in out company... I'm thinking that file was the cylindrical one.

I may try a few postings on craigslist or look farther out of my area. On Craigslist, they never seem to post who or where they are, I never send my resume to anyone without asking who and where they are... that seems to offend them and think I should send personal info no matter who it is...

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
The other said thank you for submitting your resume, we will add your resume to our files and may contact you if you fill a need in out company... I'm thinking that file was the cylindrical one.
That may not always be the case though. Kinda funny story about that - in y previous career I was in the theatre/entertainment industry for nearly 20 years. MY last job in that world was for Cirque du Soleil, who gets so many resumes that they actually have a form letter postcard with check-boxes for "thanks but no thanks", "we'll keep you on file", etc. I got the post card with the "keep you on file just in case" box ticked and later that same day got a phone call wanting me to come for an interview. That turned into a 6 1/2 year run with them, so don't totally give up hope.

Marlene

I know you guys are just kidding but I really hate the killing cats talk...I feed and care for feral cats in my area. their lives are tough and hard because of what people have done by abandoning them and leaving them to fend for themsleves. a joke is a joke, but some don't find killing cats the least bit funny and I am one of those people. the little black kitten in my avatar was born to a feral mom. whatever killed one of the other kittens bit off his back foot. we adopted him at 5 weeks old. his fur was rough and course as he was malnourished and his little back foot was gone. pretty awful life start for such a little guy. he is kind and gentle and a wonderful addition to our home. laughing about killing these guys is hurtful to those who care about them. I can joke with the best of them so I not a stick up the butt kind of person when it comes to laughing. just wanted to say not funny..

Colin

I want a freakin' place to work where there are people! if anything I want to have real arguments, get pissy, and put my head down and work while hearing the gripping (and crappy music) of my fellow coworkers!

I've had brief periods of this sort of thing before too. Hey - we're social creatures. It doesn't last long though as I am a fairly good visualizer, and I think that by the first lunch break, I'd be saying to myself: "What was I thinking!?"

The grass is often greener in many aspects of our lives, and I think it can often "seem" better over there, but "there" is no better than "here". When your "there" becomes a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that again looks better than "here."

mikey-Oh

I have done them in the 80's... I have done a few in the past few years.

sweet! i'd love to work exclusively in gigposters and other forms of band merch, just approaching it kinda slow... anywhere i could see those?

Rick

Hey Rick-

If you're up for moving out to the east coast, let me know. I got a spot for you, seriously.
Dan

Man oh man... you don't know how tempting this is... I had a job offer in Baltimore, but turned it down. It was actually in the project management for signage part of a construction company that deals with larger builds. The east coast is too far away from In N Out, Tommy's and Chis and Pitt's...

Rick

I've had brief periods of this sort of thing before too. Hey - we're social creatures. It doesn't last long though as I am a fairly good visualizer, and I think that by the first lunch break, I'd be saying to myself: "What was I thinking!?"

The grass is often greener in many aspects of our lives, and I think it can often "seem" better over there, but "there" is no better than "here". When your "there" becomes a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that again looks better than "here."

I have actually been thinking about this for a few years.. been so busy taking care of the wife and kids, that it was impossible to work for someone. I do go through phases, but this one has been going on way too long. I'm not into the grass is always greener, but since I crapped on this patch of grass, I want to go take a dump on someone else's patch for a while... hopefully a long while.