• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ipad price.

Fatboy

Hi there guys.Long time no chatting.I hope you are all well. Can you please tell me what the price of the ipad in the rest of the world is?

MikePro

aye, no need for the expensive 3G one if you've already gotten a "smart phone"... as most have the ability to turn into a mobile hotspot and power your ipad's internet connection anywhere.

tanneji

Apple has refurb ones on their website for 50 bucks less than standard retail ... comes with standard warranty etc

trakers

I am *not* an Apple fanboy (I am an AMD fanboy however), but I have had an iPad since May and it is the next to the best gadget I have ever owned (best was my first DVR).

That said, it makes me ill to see this product offered at WallyWorld. Of course, it is interesting it is "price fixed" there as well.

We were discussing the other day how these companies can get away with forcing their retail partners to all charge the same price. We looked at a Tempur-Pedic bed over the weekend, same deal, same price at all 4 stores we shopped.

Wouldn't it be cool if the sign business were that way. "Oh you want a 24x36 sign, well that will be $250 not matter where you go.... So you want it or not?"

:rolleyes:

phototec

"price fixed"

Of course, it is interesting it is "price fixed" there as well.

I was a Mac person until I went to work for Dell, "NO MAC's ALLOWED" on campus in 1999, I had always used mac's since my first one when they first came out with the 9" monochrome screen, in 1984, It cost about $2500, back then and had 8 MHz Motorola 68000 microprocessor connected to a 128 KB DRAM. I still have it in the closet, maybe it's Worth something as a collectible?

Anyway, every time I would upgrade to a bigger better Mac, I noticed every retailer I could find would always have the same exact price, one day I asked Mac Warehouse why that was, and they told me that Apple has a tight reign on the retailers, and if they discount the price any, they will loose there ability to sell Mac's.

That was strange to me, because Ma Bell was doing the same thing years ago, and big brother made them stop, can't have a monopoly over the public. But big brother doesn't do anything against Apple for operating as a monopoly, I wonder why?

Attachments

• Macintosh_128k.jpg
    Macintosh_128k.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 74

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I was a Mac person until I went to work for Dell, "NO MAC's ALLOWED" on campus in 1999, I had always used mac's since my first one when they first came out with the 9" monochrome screen, in 1984, It cost about $2500, back then and had 8 MHz Motorola 68000 microprocessor connected to a 128 KB DRAM. I still have it in the closet, maybe it's Worth something as a collectible?

Anyway, every time I would upgrade to a bigger better Mac, I noticed every retailer I could find would always have the same exact price, one day I asked Mac Warehouse why that was, and they told me that Apple has a tight reign on the retailers, and if they discount the price any, they will loose there ability to sell Mac's.

That was strange to me, because Ma Bell was doing the same thing years ago, and big brother made them stop, can't have a monopoly over the public. But big brother doesn't do anything against Apple for operating as a monopoly, I wonder why?

Maybe because at the time, Ma Bell was the only choice for telephone service. If you don't want to pay for Apple products, you do have alternate choices

Many companies do this with their electronics. Nintendo, MS Xbox

Rodi

The strategy has worked quite well for them, is there another computer manufacturer who has the profits and core technology that Apple has? They really are the envy and emerald of the computer world.

phototec

The strategy has worked quite well for them, is there another computer manufacturer who has the profits and core technology that Apple has? They really are the envy and emerald of the computer world.

No argument from me, even though I'm not currently a Mac user any more, well I do have an older Powebook I use occasionally, and I'm doing all my design work on a Dell, I do appreciate the "WINDOWS" world that Apple created and licensed to Microsoft so they could developed Windows 1.0 with the Apple GUI .

When Microsoft continued to use other parts of Apples GUI to develop Windows 2.0 and 3.0, Apple took Microsoft to court and lost, the suite when federal judge Ferdinand Francis Fernandez ruled against Apple, and in favor of Microsoft. I remember back then, there were rumors that Microsoft paid some bribe money.

But if Apple would of won the suite, and prevented Microsoft from developing Windows using parts of Apple's GUI, PC's might still be using DOS today! What a bummer that would be!

hydo1

Droid tablets are MUCH cheaper.

All the ANDROID tablets (Droid is a phone, Android is the operating system) I have seen so far are cheap POS from China that are not even in the same ballpark as an Ipad. The only one that is close is the Samsung Galaxy tablet which is only 7", still not as functional as an Ipad and costs $100 more for the base model.

Which one were you talking about?

bjones

Droid tablets are MUCH cheaper.

Much cheaper? There pretty much aren't any droid tablets and the ones there are generally are more expensive than ipad is. Top that off with the fact that android just doesn't have a tablet friendly version of their OS yet and i'm not sure what you're saying.

choucove

I really love Android, but to be completely honest they don't have any iPad killer tablets on the market yet. I say yet because the OS has not been designed for that implementation yet, but that is in the works for the next version of Android, codenamed Gingerbread.

However, if you want a real iPad killer, there is only one. It is the HP Slate 500. Currently only sold as a business line tablet, it runs a full Windows 7 Professional OS on top of a dual-core Intel Atom processor with 2 GB of RAM, Broadcom graphics accelerator, SSD, and more. When comparing the power of the HP to the iPad, it's like comparing a bicycle with a fresh coat of paint to a harley knucklehead.

gnatt66

Love. Love love my iPad. Went with 32g wi-fi..best surfing machine ever and awesome fun for our 3yr old. 599.00

cdiesel

Trakers,
For what it's worth, I bought my Tempurpedic mattress on ebay for about a grand less than the local shops wanted..

Our iPad was just under a grand. 64gb with 3G and a case.

trakers

I gave $499 + shipping for my stripper iPad and I am extremely happy with it. I just can't believe WalMart couldn't strong arm Apple into letting it discount the things.

The only good thing about the fixed price is the resale is better I guess.