• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it just me?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
What do you do when a customer comes in for a single 2"x4" printed sticker? The sticker has to be "drawn" (it's words printed on it, but they have to be a certain size).

How do you charge for it?

rjssigns

We have minimums. I'd be at least 45 bucks. Client: But but it's just a simple sticker. You with the thought bubble: Uh huh, and if it was so simple to do you wouldn't be standin' here.:D
Only thing I don't have minimums on are watercraft registrations.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Shop minimum 1 for $75, but if they throw in an extra $10 on top of the minimum you can print them a second copy.
I like that one.

Yea for some reason people come in saying they only want 1 sticker and then get shocked at the price. We usually throw them in on a print run so we charge the smaller prices. I had a print run once that was full of little stickers, I made like $700 on a yard of material.
Last week 2 teenagers came in and asked how much it would cost for 4 5 inch stickers. I told them $80. My bf didn't say anything at the time, but I know he was thinking I overpriced it. One of the kids came back and bought stickers. My bf was totally shocked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On our wall, we have a sign specifically for having your vehicles washed before bringing them in to be lettered. It says $125. When my dad was alive, he'd say, who in their right mind would ever pay that to have their truck washed ?? The first time he said it, I just looked at him and said...... exactly !!! Here's hoping they get the hint, I don't wanna wash their truck, I just wanna letter it. That's what I quoted on.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yup, have a minimum and I tell them I will throw it on when I have time with the next print run, commercial orders come first.

I had a guy come in once looking for a 2" sticker and I think I said $25. He said it's not worth more than $2-3!!!! I tried to explain the set-up time involved, etc. he got pissed off, left and won't say anything to me if I see him in the community LOL Good Riddance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should be happy. Those are the people you give someone else's phone number to. I just did it this morning................. :rolleyes:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
On our wall, we have a sign specifically for having your vehicles washed before bringing them in to be lettered. It says $125. When my dad was alive, he'd say, who in their right mind would ever pay that to have their truck washed ?? The first time he said it, I just looked at him and said...... exactly !!! Here's hoping they get the hint, I don't wanna wash their truck, I just wanna letter it. That's what I quoted on.
That's in our paperwork! They have to sign a box that says they are bringing the vehicle in clean or else $125 is added to it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Minimum.
But i'll also tell them how much they can get until they pass the threshold.

Stacey K

I like making signs
(I'm in WI) I noticed in Spring now when the sun is out I can expect several walk-ins per day. When it's raining or cloudy...great day to get work done.

When I bought the building there was a gun and bait shop here and he closed up. For at least the first year I would several people a week asking me for bait and guns, despite the 4'x8' sign outside that said...SIGNS. People would walk in with pails looking for me to sell them bait. Then they would ask me 100 questions where they could buy bait and guns. I hated to get crabby about it but after a while it's like really? Do you see fish tanks and guns in here? I called the nearest bait shop and had him drop off business cards so I could hand them out. It helped the 100 questions LOL

garyroy

Take 30 minutes after hours and figure out how much money walk in traffic brings you a month.
Also how much time tire kickers spend and quantify that into unearned dollars.
Every minute spent talking about a 3" X 2" singular sticker is time not spent making real money.
You'll probably find that closing your doors to the public is a better decision.

We've have not had walk in traffic for 15 years. Everything is over the phone or internet, we also shoot for a $100 minimum order.
If you want walk in traffic, put a sign on the front door that says "By appointment only" with your phone number.
Your production in the back shop will go up like a rocket, so will your profit per hour.:peace!::peace!::peace!::peace!::peace!:

netsol

(I'm in WI) I noticed in Spring now when the sun is out I can expect several walk-ins per day. When it's raining or cloudy...great day to get work done.

When I bought the building there was a gun and bait shop here and he closed up. For at least the first year I would several people a week asking me for bait and guns, despite the 4'x8' sign outside that said...SIGNS. People would walk in with pails looking for me to sell them bait. Then they would ask me 100 questions where they could buy bait and guns. I hated to get crabby about it but after a while it's like really? Do you see fish tanks and guns in here? I called the nearest bait shop and had him drop off business cards so I could hand them out. It helped the 100 questions LOL
Funny you should say that. Years ago (many) we moved the camera store to a former auto parts store. 15 years later people would walk in and throw a cr battery or an alternator on the glass showcase full of nikon's