• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've had an epiphany....

Shovelhead

I've suddenly realized that with my negative comments towards
"newbies" who decide to "jump in feet first" and start a sign shop
or those that want to "save money" by doing their own graphics,
I am potentially harming those merchants here who would benefit
from sales by scaring away these folks.
While I still believe strongly that the local sign maker is affected,
I will refrain from this in the future.

:cool:

Digital_Dan

Shovel I guess I'm still new to this forum, but I think sometimes people need constructive criticism (it's not negative) just to guide them in the right direction. I know I can't build a house or work on cars, but if I had tried and someone told me that I should look into other areas I'd take the advice and ponder it. It wouldn't come across negative to me.

It's all good in my eye!

Flame

ah, but some people just instantly discredit this business as soon as they start talking.

"ah, I bought a cheap $200 plotter to start making paper stickers. All the other guys around here charge crazy prices and I'll show them how easy it is to make money. I'm going to do all of my stuff and charge HALF of the going rate to everyone else.

Now, I got this yuo-chang-yuk plotter, what makes it run? Do you have to have a computer or something?"

Those kind of intro's really wear on a body.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
shovel...i'm on your side on this one....i don't like the guy that wants to save money on graphics and so buys a machine and expects us to teach him....

rcook99

I've suddenly realized that with my negative comments towards
"newbies" who decide to "jump in feet first" and start a sign shop
or those that want to "save money" by doing their own graphics,
I am potentially harming those merchants here who would benefit
from sales by scaring away these folks.
While I still believe strongly that the local sign maker is affected,
I will refrain from this in the future.

Shovelhead, I am confused did you stop drinking,:Big Laugh or forget your medicine this morning.:Big Laugh

You are letting me down as I have fun reading your posts, as you are so blunt and to the point. That is what alot of people need as they are so used to having things sugar coated.:thumb:

Bob

Shovelhead

I'm specifically curbing my comments as stated.....it could
have an affect on merchants that can make a sale.
I'm not welcoming them either.

flisk

bah.
call it like you see it.

I know I will.

On forums in general people tend to talk a big talk. If someone has a question and I think it's an outlandish question, I may very well reply with an outlandish answer.

skyhigh

So the hell with the industry as a whole. I'm sure inkfish will be glad to know the next newbie (race car owner) that needs 10 digital print window "stickers" for his buddies, won't be scared away by you.

If you can't speak your mind on this forum (good, bad or indifferent) , why bother posting at all. I guess you can always chime in on the "Whats for lunch" threads.

Its a sad day.

Shovelhead

If I tell some clown who bought a plotter "get out you don't belong here" ....
and he was planning on buying the entire A&S font collection, Steve loses out.

Derf

Shovelhead.. your assuming these people actually have the startup coin to buy something of value.

But you do offer a valid point! They could have a credit card.. LOL

skyhigh

Those kinda clowns buy Steve's fonts and give them to all his buddies.

I know that isn't always the case, but more than not. Lets remember who we are dealing with...the guy that buys a plotter because his local sign shop is a crook and charges too much (maybe because they actually paid for some LHF's or a legitimate copy of Flexi)

Steve loses more than he gains....IMO

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
From my point of view, this issue has always represented a conflict of interest.

First and foremost, I believe in free speech and non-censorship. I also believe that this has been a major reason for the success of the forum. At the same time, I recognize that with a name like Signs 101 we're bound to attract a lot of new people.

And yes, our merchants pay a fee to reach our members and guests so it's great when they get their money's worth.

My personal feelings are that rudeness tends to reflect poorly on the person being rude and to discredit his or her comments. I also think that a lot of posts appear here that jump to conclusions not in evidence. The recent young man wanting to support our troops with a wrap on his car, for example.

At the same time, there is absolutely no desire to stifle anyone from expressing their opinions. We've done okay even with the rudeness at times. I'm sure it has cost us some advertisers and that's an acceptable price to pay for an open expression of ideas and opinions.

Mikeifg

I 100000000000% agree with Shovel on this. Everyone seems to think they can do this it's easy (makin stikers). Maybe some can but the majority of the people getting into this as a hobby low ball so much it ruins it for the guys actually trying to feed their kids.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One of the stated purposes of Signs 101 is to help those who want to become more professional become so. Sometimes it takes a while to sort those folks out.

In the meantime, remember the old saying:

Keep you friends close and your enemies closer.