• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Log o design critique

TheSellOut

Here is a logo I started for a business association.

The town is in the rolling hills of PA and is on the point of where two rivers meet.

Attachments

• Untitled-33.jpg
    Untitled-33.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 170

weaselboogie

Looks great. I like what you did with the swoop of the S going into the river.

The only thing that bugs me is that slice of purple and you could put some more breathing room between "Athens" and "Business Association", make the "business association a tad smaller.... just a tad.

Great looking logo!

GypsyGraphics

Wow, this is really nice! I love it when you look at a logo and don't have to ask yourself what something is or why it's there. This logo didn't just happen to turn out good, it's purposefully good... and i really like that.

Jillbeans

Only one small suggestion:
Smooth out the part at the bottom of the "s" where the swoosh starts.
Not 100% keen on the river color but it might be my monitor
(the rivers around here are kinda greenish)
I think it looks great.
Chuck Borges makes the nicest fonts. Nice guy too.
Love....Jill

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
An excellent start, that from someone who thinks that LHF Sarah Script should be relegated to mayonnaise labels and fruit stand banners.

If it were mine to do I'd find a way to bring the little illustration more into the body of the design. It gives off a discordance, minor but irritating, floating off to the right like it is.

I'd also consider another type face for 'Business Association'. The one you're using is another trivial discordant note. It keeps dragging my eye away from taking in the would picture. Perhaps something not in italic and with a somewhat less thick and thin treatment.

signmeup

I think it looks stronger without the bushes. They rob attention from the buildings.

Attachments

• Athens.jpg
    Athens.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 73

GypsyGraphics

An excellent start, that from someone who thinks that LHF Sarah Script should be relegated to mayonnaise labels and fruit stand banners.
Perhaps something not in italic and with a somewhat less thick and thin treatment.

I think it looks stronger without the bushes. They rob attention from the buildings.

I have to disagree... i'm not even a huge fans of thick script fonts. But in this case i think it really works! It's the reason the design elements work so well with the company name. I would venture to guess the style of the graphic was directly inspired by the font choice, or visa versa. Which is exactly what i mean by purposeful. I'd be willing to bet, if you changed the font, the logo would become disjointed.

And as for removing the bushes... not only does it lose that beautiful, woshy, watery, curvy wave, that ends so nicely... but it also loses some of the "rolling hills of PA" part for me. Looks more like office buildings "down by the river."

EDIT: looking at signmeups versions again... makes me want to play with those buildings a little. when i'm at my desk and not on my laptop, i'm going to play with that a little. i've never been able to design worth a darn on my laptop, not even the most basic stuff. (anyone else have that same problem?)

signmeup

Try it in grayscale. The bush/building/river combo looks like it could all be the same value. I could be wrong though..... happened before once.

TheSellOut

Thanks for the comments everyone! the font as Bob pointed out is LHF Sarah Script. Letterhead fonts are gorgeous!

The only thing that bugs me is that slice of purple and you could put some more breathing room between "Athens" and "Business Association", make the "business association a tad smaller.... just a tad.

The purple should show as a reflex blue and i am tring to get arcoss that the town is between 2 rivers. Thanks on the "breathing room" suggestion, that was way too crowed and I just couldn't see it!

Wow, this is really nice! I love it when you look at a logo and don't have to ask yourself what something is or why it's there. This logo didn't just happen to turn out good, it's purposefully good... and i really like that.

:loveya::loveya::loveya:

Only one small suggestion:
Smooth out the part at the bottom of the "s" where the swoosh starts.
Not 100% keen on the river color but it might be my monitor
(the rivers around here are kinda greenish)
I think it looks great.
Chuck Borges makes the nicest fonts. Nice guy too.
Love....Jill

Thanks, I didn't notice that on the "s" until I posted. The river colors should be 2 shades of blue, the actual rivers are usually brown but I didn't want to get too realistic. Chuck sure does make beautiful fonts...they make designing all that more enjoyable!

If it were mine to do I'd find a way to bring the little illustration more into the body of the design. It gives off a discordance, minor but irritating, floating off to the right like it is.

I'd also consider another type face for 'Business Association'. The one you're using is another trivial discordant note. It keeps dragging my eye away from taking in the would picture. Perhaps something not in italic and with a somewhat less thick and thin treatment.

Thanks Bob! I am sticking with Sarah here, not only because I just bought her and was excited to use her, but because I think she's beautiful and works wonderfully in this layout.

However I think you are 100% correct on the other font and how about instead of moving the graphic into the main body, I bring the secondary copy out underneath it, to support it. It did look to be just floating there.

They are hills darn it and they have to be there. Without them it looks too flat.

I have to disagree... i'm not even a huge fans of thick script fonts. But in this case i think it really works! It's the reason the design elements work so well with the company name. I would venture to guess the style of the graphic was directly inspired by the font choice, or visa versa. Which is exactly what i mean by purposeful. I'd be willing to bet, if you changed the font, the logo would become disjointed.

And as for removing the bushes... not only does it lose that beautiful, woshy, watery, curvy wave, that ends so nicely... but it also loses some of the "rolling hills of PA" part for me. Looks more like office buildings "down by the river."

EDIT: looking at signmeups versions again... makes me want to play with those buildings a little. when i'm at my desk and not on my laptop, i'm going to play with that a little. i've never been able to design worth a darn on my laptop, not even the most basic stuff. (anyone else have that same problem?)

Thanks for fighting for my cause GG, and you are right...I started with the font and the rest seemed to flow from there! I wish they were all like that, maybe if I had more Letterhead fonts it would be! Ditto on the laptop, mine has not been out of the bookbag in months. If I knew how to use my "Remote Desktop Connection" I would use it more, then I would have access to all my fonts and files. I look forward to seeing what you do with the buildings, they are the one element I wanted to tinker with too.

I thought I was wrong once.... but I was mistaken.

Where's Heath?

Had to run out on a job!!

Attachments

• Untitled-33.jpg
    Untitled-33.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 99