• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

logo trouble?

WOODBS

What do you think? Is it copyright infringement...

Attachments

• Midnight Rodeo yellow correct.jpg
    Midnight Rodeo yellow correct.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 154

Joe Diaz

Mannn I don't know... I've seen worst, but I can definitely tell what logo they are "paying tribute to".

Craig Sjoquist

Don't see the problem using John Deere color likeness not sure if they can own the shape and color combo without there deer

but for a rodeo is it for women mainly ..with that yellow Midnight Rodeo

WOODBS

Its a bar..I tried contacting a friend taht owns a franchise here..no response yet? I am thinking do it?

Jillbeans

I find the no-contrast of pale yellow on a white background even more offensive than the cheesy copycat logo.
I'm sure someone out there thinks this is way cool.
Sounds like a good place for people watching.
Love....Jill

Marlene

those awful tribal yellow things help make it clear that it isn't John Deere...yuk, that is an awful looking logo

G-Artist

There are two and possibly non-existent issues both of which are IP law.

Copyright and trademark.

Since the bar is already using the design it is they who have to defend against both should some corporate lawyer send them a letter.

All shops should have an indemnifying policy/plan with each and every client that walks through the door with their own art. A simple and straightforward 'hold harmless' form should be placed under their nose with a pen attached and have the person sign it before even talking to them about use of their art, regardless of form or format.

Shovelhead

That proves good branding....as soon as I saw this thread and the attached,
I assumed John Deere right off the bat., before I opened the thread.....based on their green and yellow.

royster13

I have often seen reference to "hold harmless" agreements....While they are a good "risk management" practice, they are not air tight.....If you and your client get sued (you will both be named) you may be involved in defending yourself and if the other side wins the judgments usually make the losers "jointly and severally liable"....So if your partner in crime can not satisfy the judgment and you can, the "winner" will get damages and/or legal costs from you...Then you have to sue the other loser to get you money back....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean 'signed form' necessary ??

It doesn't matter who creates the artwork whether it be ugly or not. If you are the person reproducing it... it's your responsibility to not go any further. Simply getting a signature on something like this doesn't protect you in the least if somebody ever does anything against them. You're not omitted just for getting someone to sign a paper. That just proves your guilty of going through with this thing because you knew and didn't stop them. Besides, I'd come after them, even if it didn't look like John Deer, but just because it looks so ugly.

Deaton Design

Id look at it like this. When you first looked at it, what did you think of?
Me, the J. Deere thing popped right in my head. Others may not see it. But, it does resemble the logo enough, imho, that it would make me "steer" away from it.

Pat Whatley

Woods, ask any lawyer out there and they'll tell you the same thing....a signed "hold harmless" agreement is little more than your admission that what you were doing was wrong.

ActualGrafix

All the logo has is similar colors. Even if there is a lawsuit, what is their case? Oh, he has colors that are close to ours? OR He can't use Green and Yellow because we use green and yellow.
You: "It's not the same green and yellow, look at the color output percentages!"
Them: "It looks close enough so we want money!"

:popcorn: