• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major Vinyl problems!!!!!!!!!! :-(

rcook99

Ok so I get a call this morning from a company that i did work for about 15 months ago. I lettered up 11 vehicles for them as they changed there logo. So the customer tells me that the letters are screwed up on one of the trucks. I told him I would stop down after lunch only to find this. (See pics attached) I then proceed to check some of the other trucks I did and noticed that the others are starting to do the same thing:frustrated:.

I am not going to put the brand of vinyl I am using at this time as I have not talked to the company yet. What I was wondering is if anyone else has seen anything like this and if so what was the outcome. What did the company that produces the vinyl do for you if anything? My day went from a very good day to a very bad day as it is looking like all these trucks alon with 2 4x8 signs will have to be replaced. :banghead:

Oh and by the way no those wrinkles were not there after the install. LOL

Thanks,
RC

Attachments

• LCS Vinyl Problem C1404.jpg
    LCS Vinyl Problem C1404.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 151
  • LCS Vinyl Trouble S1402.jpg
    LCS Vinyl Trouble S1402.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 116
  • LCS 1403.jpg
    LCS 1403.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 89

Mosh

Is it high performance. Looks like what would happen if oracal 610 was used on vehicles. The old place it is coming off is around the indent in the van?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No pics but if you're using Avery (or any private label vinyl made by Avery) that would be on you. Lots of warnings about the product failures a few years back.

Other than that, we've had one failure with a well known brand that was limited to one roll of material. It started peeling off after about six months. Since we had no other problems with the vinyl series, we made no changes to our inventory.

If you are dealing with a defective roll of material, the concerns and backup will vary from one manufacturer to the next. Some will insist you or your customer did something wrong and will eventually offer you replacement material. Others will want all the details and will compensate you for your labor and materials to get things put right.

rcook99

No maybe here and there but keep in mind this stuff has only been on for around 15-18 months. I will be adding another picture in a minute.

Mosh

Are the 4x8 doing it too? If not I would say it is something the customer is doing, as long as you used the same film.

ucmj22

Had this problem once with an etched vinyl about 6 months ago. I had never seen it happen before and the only thing I could think of was that the vinyl had been sitting in the office for at least a year and a half and might have just gone bad. I bought some new 3M dusted vinyl and re-did the job with no problems. It looks like the same thing though... massive shrinkage causing cracking and wrinkling. If you were using new 5-9 year vinyl it shouldn't have happened. Your supplier might have had it sitting on the rack for a while too.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Mosh I use a ton of Oracal 651 on vehicles (yes I offer 'em 751 but they always want cheap... you should understand that :smile:) and I've never seen that happen... I have vehicles that have been on the road upward of 4 years that still look good.

I don't understand the bunching underneath...

rcook99

Ok I just added another picture of the same van that shows the shrinkage of the material.

Fred: it is a brand name material and I will say it's NOT Avery. I have never used and never will use Avery from all the horror stories I have heard.

Techman as far as the install what are you talking about.

BillCt2 It is layered vinyl

Poconopete: I will have to check with them as I know they have a pressure washer in the garage. The white you see around the two layers is actually wax.
Mosh I didn't check the 4x8 as I had another appt. But I will be going down tomorrow to take additional pics with my Nikon as opposed to my BB

Border

Looks like classic....AVERY
I got several thousand $ out of them AND they even paid money to my new 3M supplier so that I could use that credit to replace the bad Avery vinyl with 3M/Gerber high performance.

They initially tried to just give me more bad avery vinyl for compensation. I said yea....that's just what want, MORE Bad Avery Vinyl.
-no thanks!

OK... now I see you said this is NOT Avery. ....Interesting

GB2

Old Member
It looks almost like you applied cast vinyl over calendared vinyl. From the pictures it looks as if the black layer is experiencing shrinkage and the top layer is not. That might explain the wrinkles and the "bunching".

What was the preparation method you used before applying the vinyl? It would also be helpful to know more details about the specific materials and the application methods, even if you don't want to name the brand you could still describe the specifications of each material.