• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major Vinyl problems!!!!!!!!!! :-(

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Looks like a typical Avery failure.
The cast black vinyl shows an irregular adhesive shrinkage line from 1/8in. - 1/4in. and long wrinkles will start to appear in the lettering.
The problem is the black not the burgundy.

Are you sure it wasn't manufactured by Avery and resold under a different name? why the secrecy?

Mosh

I have a logo on the hood of one of our service trucks out of 751, been on the 5-6 years, still looks good. We don't live in the desert though.....

BadAss

Interesting, so what did they use for the decals on hoods of say Trans Ams, Jeep Golden Eagles...
Don't know, But here is a pic of the hoods. They are less then a year and is 751 Oracal... M*

Attachments

• IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 85

Mosh

Ouch! It must be hot and hostile down there. Are the sides lettered, if so how do they look? Is is just the red peeling?

BadAss

The sides look Great. And if you look closly you can see the blue cracking at the corners.. Yes it does get hot and there is nothing on the underside of the hoods to protect from the 1200 degree turbo diesel engine heat either. So between the 2, your screwed. So I will be redoing these (but in 651) as I am sure I will be doing it again in a year, Hey "Job Security"

rcook99

Mike Paul
Looks like a typical Avery failure.
The cast black vinyl shows an irregular adhesive shrinkage line from 1/8in. - 1/4in. and long wrinkles will start to appear in the lettering.
The problem is the black not the burgundy.

Are you sure it wasn't manufactured by Avery and resold under a different name? why the secrecy?

Mike Paul the reason for the secrecy is that I am not going to BASH a company that has not had the chance to stand behind there product. I have sent emails and am waiting for a return email or phone call. Once they have had a chance to respond to the problem wether positive or negative then and only then will I consider revealing the Company. I always tell my customers if there is a problem with the product I supply to contact me directly as I don't want my customers BASHING me. I would like a chance to investigate the problem. If it is my fault I will fix or replace it. I hope this helps you understand my feelings on this whole situation.

Border
wet or dry install? Where were the 4x8s located/installed with what type of exposure?

It was done wet and the double sided 4x8 is at the road facing N & S the other 4x8 is facing East mouted to the building.

Last edited:

BadAss

We did talk to the reps. But they said No Warranty on a Horinzontal install. My verticles look fine. I also asked rep. on 3M and was giving same info No Warranty on H. install. Mosh I would print but there is a large area of the logo that is the metallic silver 751 and I can't reproduce that on a printer. So we are kind of stuck redoing them. Good Luck Fairway and let us know what your rep says...

rcook99

We did talk to the reps. But they said No Warranty on a Horinzontal install. My verticles look fine. I also asked rep. on 3M and was giving same info No Warranty on H. install. Mosh I would print but there is a large area of the logo that is the metallic silver 751 and I can't reproduce that on a printer. So we are kind of stuck redoing them. Good Luck Fairway and let us know what your rep says...

Thanks BadAss I will be sure to keep all informed of the progress if any is made.

Border

The sides look Great. And if you look closly you can see the blue cracking at the corners.. Yes it does get hot and there is nothing on the underside of the hoods to protect from the 1200 degree turbo diesel engine heat either. So between the 2, your screwed. So I will be redoing these (but in 651) as I am sure I will be doing it again in a year, Hey "Job Security"

If you have to redo them all, I think that would be a PERFECT chance to use a few different brands on the various trucks, document which truck got what and then see how they hold up compared to each other. Then you're not putting all your eggs in one basket and you may just find a better product!
Let your client know and that you will stand by them either way.
You may never have a better chance to compare products in the real world.
In fact, that would be a great thread on it's own here, with updates every month or two!

I pay just about the same for 3M High perf as Oracal 751 so for me, it's a no brainer to use the best.

BadAss

Hey Border. My thoughts exactly. I talked with my rep and am trying to match up the colors with a couple of brands. Then we can keep track. The trucks are all the same models and styles, so it is a great oppertunity to compare what is out there. Apples to apples. I am hoping they can get me a few yards of what we need for the comparision. As yime goes on I will keep everyone up to date...M*

QualitySigns

I'm putting my money on cheap vinyl as the problem. I always use premium vinyls and have never, ever had a problem like that (knock on wood).

signmeup

Is someone selling old Avery stock and not telling anyone? What's it say on the liner?

I've had cast vinyl on the hood of my van for about 5 years with no trouble but, like Mosh, I'm not in the desert.

Badass....I'd print what ever you can and stick the metalic on after for one of the trucks you have to redo.

Marlene

I had to look back at the paperwork and found the Black is a Cast vinyl and the burgandy is a Calendered vinyl. I figure this will help.

I'm with those who said this was the issue. never use the two together. also, calendared vinyl is cheap stuff used for temp jobs.

rcook99

calendared vinyl is cheap stuff used for temp jobs

Well let me ask you and the others how you guys can say that calendered vinyl rated for 5-6 years is for temp jobs vs cast which is rated from 7-8 years. I can understand that if it was the cheap stuff yes that is rated for 1-2 yrs but 5-6yrs is not a temp job as far as I am concerned. Not looking to argue with anyone just trying to see where others are coming from.

Bigdawg

Just Me
651 is cheaper... of course! It's calendared. But I think it's perfectly suited to vehicle graphics - especially when you know they'll only be on a couple years. I sell it as a 2-3 year product. And I sell it without loosing any sleep over not using 751 (my distributor doesn't carry the 3M line of regular vinyls).

If I sold it to 'em as a 5-6 yr solution... then I might be asking for it. But I don't. And I don't really care how the manufacturer rates them - I usually knock a year or two off what they say. I was talking to a guy that used to work for Oracal about 6 months ago and he told me that when the color was more stable they upped the rated life of the 651 from 3 years to 5 years because the color would last longer... had not a damn thing to do with the adhesiveness or anything else.

Just my 2 cents.

rcook99

Hey Bigdawg, I can understand you not selling it as a 5-6yr vinyl living in your area with the sun and the UV's. Depending on which area you are intalling the vinyl in will be the basis of your warranty as some companies actually have a breakdown of different zones based on the weather conditions.

Jillbeans

Looks like the Avery failures I've had.
Obviously the black has shrunken and taken the burgundy along for the ride.
Odd that the 4'x8' is still OK though.
Love....Jill