• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mixing a homebrew cleaning solution?

color_zone

I need some input from those of you who do this. I've ordered what I need to mix up a homebrew rather than paying through the nose for the tiny bottles of cleaning solution and I have a few questions:

1. What kind of precautions/protective gear do I need?
2. What sort of container to you mix/store the finished solution in?
3. One of the chemicals is classified as a "raw material." What exactly does that mean as far as handling and storing it?
4. Any other tips/advice?

I used to work in photo labs so I've got plenty of chemical mixing experience. I've just never mixed anything quite like this that I know of.

As always, thanks for the help!

artbot

the msds says that the carbitol is bad for the kidneys and blood, etc. but then all of them do. i don't wear gloves unless it's going to be particularly messy. latex is fine enough fort this stuff for short term.

i use anything. it can be an old liter bottle but usually i go through so much, i put it in an old polyethylene jug (aka milk jug).

i don't know if there's any storing details. diethylene glycol can hardly evaporate if you torch it. so it's pretty inert.

what recipe are you going with? and remember to do ink compatibility tests before you use it with any particular ink.

color_zone

what recipe are you going with? and remember to do ink compatibility tests before you use it with any particular ink.

I'm doing a 9-1 butylcellulosive acetate/cyclohexan solution. I actually have a good pair of solvent-resistant gloves. I just didn't know if I needed to go all out with a splash apron and mask or anything like that.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Still a lot more expensive than homebrew but I just get 1 liter bottles of Triangles flush. It's about $80 for a liter - beats the heck out of $30 or more for a couple of shot glasses worth.

artbot

i noticed something odd yesterday. i was looking at an msds for encad go+. there are almost no exotic ingredients. black was diethylene glycol and carbon black (and water). what is odd is that diethylene glycol (aka butyl carbitol) has a solvent effect. so evidently the encad carts are mildly solvent resistant. not that you could put eco solvent in them. but it just shows how harmelss this stuff is to your system. it's like hand lotion for your printer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity..... why didn't you think of this when you bought your printer ??

I mean..... if you could fork out enough dough to pay for a nice printer, why are you chintzing out for cleaning solution ??

Afterall, if you are getting enough for you prints regardless if it's banners, vinyl or posters.... your prices should contain ink replacement, normal maintenance and supplies to keep your equipment running at top notch efficiency.

If you're finding cleaning solutions too expensive that you have to make your own, I'm afraid you might want to look at your business or strategy plan a little closer and find out why you can't afford proper cleaning solutions. If you just want to make your own concoction, then what's it matter, if you're just doing it for the fun of it ??

color_zone

Out of curiosity..... why didn't you think of this when you bought your printer ??

The machine was in place before I came to the company. It's one of those things where it was always done one way because nobody knew there were other options. I had a Mimaki-certified tech suggest it to me as an alternative to Mimaki branded cleaning solution.

Quite frankly, I'm a little insulted that I feel like I have to defend why I'm choosing to try this.

J Hill Designs

I mean..... if you could fork out enough dough to pay for a nice printer, why are you chintzing out for cleaning solution ??

Afterall, if you are getting enough for you prints regardless if it's banners, vinyl or posters.... your prices should contain ink replacement, normal maintenance and supplies to keep your equipment running at top notch efficiency.

If you're finding cleaning solutions too expensive that you have to make your own, I'm afraid you might want to look at your business or strategy plan a little closer and find out why you can't afford proper cleaning solutions. If you just want to make your own concoction, then what's it matter, if you're just doing it for the fun of it ??

for one, its good when you have a problem and need to go through a TON of solution

artbot

grrrrr.... take lacquer thinner. it's got a filler. usually alcohol. the expensive lacquer thinners use acetone. which works better. the expensive one.

take OEM cleaning solution. it too has a thinner. that's butyl cellosolve. but in this case the expensive one is inferior. the most important ingredient is the carbitol. which cost twice that of cellosolve.

if you do side by side ink tests. the OEM solution still can coagulate ink if you give it long enough. not the home brew. that ink will stay silky and suspended for.... ever?

i think i figured up once that according to a particular quantity an OEM was charging $800 for something that would have cost $12 to make (using 55 gallon drum pricing). still using fillers.

it's not a matter of being cheap. it's a matter of having a better understanding of your equipment and treating it to the best materials and more frequent custody washes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The machine was in place before I came to the company. It's one of those things where it was always done one way because nobody knew there were other options. I had a Mimaki-certified tech suggest it to me as an alternative to Mimaki branded cleaning solution.

Quite frankly,
I'm a little insulted that I feel like I have to defend why I'm choosing to try this.

Sorry, if I've ruffled your feathers there zone, but regardless of how much you can save the company.... if you don't have your ducks in a row and need to ask these questions, it just seems foolish to possibly ruin a piece of equipment to save some money.

I mean, it's not like you have any answers, but just theories..... and now you've come here to see if anyone can save your butt. More power to ya, but don't you think if this is possible and not do damage to the unit, it would be a well known fact and an after-market product already ?? Seriously, I wish you all the best in finding something which will not bring harm to your equipment, save you money and still make you look good to the boss.

Don't you think though.. if you find this solution, you're gonna market it, sell it and make some real money ?? There's always gotta be a first..... :thumb:

Good luck............... :wink:

artbot

well, that products "secret recipe" would be public knowledge. and to chemists there is no secret.

and if you don't feel comfortable having butyl carbitol in your printer, i suggest you take the ink out, and stop using the OEM cleaning solution. if you saw the stuff, and how it melts ink so differently. wet the caps and wiper on your machine, that then gets transferred to the bottom of your heads. zero evaporation.

in the art world there are "acrylic extenders". about $10 for 2oz. what's in the bottle. glycerin and water. brilliant.

rjssigns

I like what artbot is saying. He's got a good handle on this. There are many things the mfg's bang us with on price. Just like the guys that buy a $299 printer because it has the same head your dealer wants $800 or $900 for.
And yes I believe cleaning solution is another one of the overpriced things in the market. So I am going to try and source the chemicals locally. A friend of mine manages the Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint division here so I figure he would know.

One thing I will not stray from is OEM ink in my Roland. Had a bad experience with 3rd party and don't want to relive it. Now when I finally pull the trigger on a Chinese printer I will use their 50 bucks a liter "secret recipe" ink in it.

I used to work for a manufacturer that had a so called secret recipe polymer. They sold the platemaker at cost or below because they would mark-up the polymer at least 3000% And you had to use their ooze during the warranty period. Cha-ching!

Their business model was thus: Get a large installed base of machines then make your profit on consumables. Namely the polymer. Sound familiar?

thewood

You are making the assumption that a homebrew cleaning solution (or third party ink for that matter) is inherently inferior to the OEM solution.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You are making the assumption that a homebrew cleaning solution (or third party ink for that matter) is inherently inferior to the OEM solution.

Nope, no assumption. Just that if you can't get what is standard for your machine.... how can you be sure you have a solution for something if you need to ask basic questions as the OP has done ??

I'm not saying one shouldn't try to find alternate means to getting the end result, but if you are mixing chemicals and don't know what kind of gear to wear or even what to store it in... I think you're out of your league. Evidently, the OP here, must think he's making some kind a deadly solution.... and then he wants to put it through his machine..... UNTESTED. How does this sound like a possible remedy for his shortcomings of money to buy the proper stuff, he KNOWS will work ??

If his is going to be so lethal.... shouldn't he consult a real chemist ??

artbot

glycol ethers are basically ink without the solvent, resin, and pigment. it's the carrier for the ink. so handle it like ink. and do testing. my testing is for triangle. i can't tell you how each ink will react. look up the msds for the cleaning solution for your particular ink. do side by side testing with OEM and diy.

anozira02

I am not sure how old this post is...I searched all over the net trying to find out where to buy the Butyl carbitol,, I only seen selling it in 50gl drums.. where do I get the stuff??

netsol

butyl cellosolve. $35/gallon
butyl carbitol $35/gallon

aceton e $14/gallon

all from sherwin williams
if you have a commercial ctr near you the first 2 may be in stock.
otherwise 3-5 days

netsol

regarding safety procedures,
i just keep the mixture in a different color glass than my gin & tonic