• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Museum Logo

Joe Diaz

I just finished up a logo for the mural museum our town is in the process of setting up. We are extremely excited that our home town has decided to embrace the Walldog movement like they have.

mural_museum.jpg

I plan on spending part of the afternoon adding some color to this design.

Joe Diaz

Here is what my dad put together about the museum, for those of you interested:

Walldogs and Letterheads:

There has been a new development in Pontiac, IL. City officials were so impressed by what the Walldogs accomplished in Pontiac last summer that they want to open a museum in honor of the Walldogs this spring. They came to us shortly after the meet and have been working behind the scenes looking for a building and also trying to determine what a Walldog Museum should be about. It is because of the Dog's involvement in the event that it became such a success. My family and I want to thank everyone attending once again for the beautifully designed projects that were left behind. We will do our best to see that these projects are well preserved.

After much debate a name was chosen for the museum. It will be called the "International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum". This museum is the idea of some of our city officials and is not intended to compete with the National Sign Museum in Cincinnati, so the emphasis will be on wall painting.

The building they chose is across the street from the courthouse. It will be renovated and staffed by the city and will include historical information, pictures and examples pertaining to commercial wall advertising murals and signs. It will have sections dedicated to the heritage of the craft, the current Walldog movement from Allerton, IA on, as well as wall crafted signs along historical Rt.66. There will also be a gallery section available for any Walldog who may want to exhibit artwork for sale. This may include hand painted signs, pinstripe panels and other artwork. The duration of the exhibits and any consignment has not been decided and any input as to how that should be set up would be appreciated.

There has been interest in showing videos of past events. There is a room in the building that could be used for this. Our business has many videos and pictures to contribute and we could sure use any others that you feel would be an asset.

There is no cost for the Walldogs, and we hope that your thoughts about what you would like such a museum to represent would be welcome. Any work and photos that Walldogs would like to donate or lend to the museum would be VERY much appreciated. A dollar amount could accompany a donation so that we could document the contribution for your taxes.

The city has also obtained a 32' x 20' barn wall with a "Mail Pouch" advertisement on it. It'll eventually be installed when a proper space becomes available.

We feel the museum will help promote what a special experience it is to have a Walldog festival in a community. We hope that as time goes on the museum will be a success and that Walldogs and Letterheads will visit often and think of it as a place to call home. You will always be welcome with the same friendly enthusiasm that was exhibited by the good folks of Pontiac during this past summer's event.

Since we have no prior experience with being involved with a museum and the city does, we will assume an advisory posture and hope that we will be able to convey any thoughts and wishes that Walldogs may have about this venture.

The city council was informed of the museum at its last meeting and the funding particulars are being set up. Renovation of the space will begin soon. The building has approximately 2,400 sq ft. available for the museum. Painting, track lighting, tearing out a wall or 2 and installing some brick wallcoverings have all been mentioned. This space had been rented by a travel agency.

We now have a database set up to help communities interested in having a Walldog festival. This information will allow us to introduce communities to Walldogs who live close to them. Also if a community does not want a Walldog festival, but instead wants a mural or two, we will have a list of Walldogs that those communities can contact to get the projects completed. We hope it will provide work for those interested.

Although there have been Walldog festivals sprinkled throughout, the majority of them have been in the heartland of the U.S. Illinois has had the most. It would be great to see other areas call on the Dogs. It would be even better to have more Walldogs so that there could be more festivals, because they are FUN, FUN, and more FUN! Let's get it going and we hope that everybody can drop by to visit this new museum.

Joe Diaz

Sweet! Huge potential with color options. Joe, do you use a mouse or pen when you design?

I use both, but mainly the mouse on this one. I have to give credit where credit is due: The brushes were actually done by David Butler (a fellow Walldog, and design God, for those of you that don't already know of him). I did the painter illustration this morning. The painter was actually done in marker on a transparency over a photo, then vectorized.

The plan is to do t-shirts and other souvenirs with the logo on it. So I had to start with a one color design. Then in the near future, my father is going to hand paint this design on the window of the building the museum will be in. I'm hoping he will gild some of this design.:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks great, Joe. :rock-n-roll:

Question for ya....... any way you could get a fitch in there ?? Possibly even a fan ??

If you can't add them, maybe ya could substitute them for the dagger and one of the quills.

neato

Nice looking logo Joe!

This is a good example of a logo for Newbies. It shows how a good logo will look good in just black and white. The reason it looks so good is it's balanced, has good contrast, the line weight is uniform and it just flows well overall.

Sweet job.

vid

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

...and the museum is quite a nice addition to Pontiac's Main Street.

I'm quite impressed with the leadership and commitment the Diaz's have for their community and profession! :thumb:

JR's

Sweet...!
Joe that looks really really nice. I love the sign brushes. Is the brush clip art for sale?
It would be cool to work a fitch or a sash brush in thear. With the bigger handles.

Cool layout.

JR

Wow! Awesome logo! I'm probably being a little nit picky but the brush in the painters hand looks a little like a pipe. I know that it's a brush being used against a wall but someone not paying attention may misinterpret your intent. Could the painter be painting something on the wall without taking away from logo? Maybe something as simple as a black line?

Awesome work none the less!

GP

That looks incredible - I can't wait to see what you do with some color.

Please share how you decided on "& SIGN ART" both in placement and font.

Everything else looks so well placed and refined.

I hate even splitting hairs on this one. It is an absolutely gorgeous logo. Congratulations.

GP

PS- I feel like a total DB even questioning the likes of Joe Diaz. I will be over here in the corner eating my shoe.