• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new bldg, cards and van wrap for my shop

luggnut

here is somethings i'm working on ... i need some critiques. i have already loaded the card in another thread , so here is the rest. plus the card

Attachments

• sign depot windows.jpg
    sign depot windows.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 130
  • lewis bldg pic.jpg
    lewis bldg pic.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 93
  • sign depot card 2010.jpg
    sign depot card 2010.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 86

luggnut

forgot the van

here is the van.. i'm struggling with it!!!

Attachments

• sign depot chev097 [Converted].jpg
    sign depot chev097 [Converted].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85

Lunatic Taskbar

Hi Luggnut,

If I recall correctly "Stand out from the crowd" is copyrighted by someone. I vaguely recall a discussion on this a year or so ago. It may well be worth digging a little to find out. Not just on here. Try "we make you look good" on the van.

The vehicle graphics bit looks a little lost. where it is. Try it as a different colour and fit it between both wheels. much bigger much easier to read.

Also the signage for the front of the store. For some reason the "A"s look to my eyes to be slightly too small. I realize that this would be how the font is. but its just something I noticed at this size. so it may be more pronounced up large and personal.

Also the quality by design is rather hard to read. Try a different font.

Thats my 2c

Ian

luggnut

More van attempts

here are a couple more van trys

If I recall correctly "Stand out from the crowd" is copyrighted by someone.
maybe ... i'll check it out. seems strange that you could copy right a phrase that common. i know threepeat is copy righted but it is kind of an invented word.

Attachments

• sign depot chev0972.jpg
    sign depot chev0972.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 89
  • sign depot chev0973.jpg
    sign depot chev0973.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 87

CheapVehicleWrap

I'm not digging the olive color that you're so attached to.

Preliminary initial search (not a TM lawyer) shows only 1 Trademark in an entirely different industry.

Word Mark STAND OUT ...FROM THE CROWD
Goods and Services IC 044. US 100 101. G & S: Cosmetic and plastic surgery. FIRST USE: 20050105. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20050105
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78785619
Filing Date January 5, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition August 29, 2006
Registration Number 3171468
Registration Date November 14, 2006
Owner (REGISTRANT) P & K Holdings, LLC LTD LIAB CO CALIFORNIA Suite 100 7801 Center Ave Huntington Beach CALIFORNIA 92647
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Last edited:

speedmedia

I think you may be thinking of signs now. I think their tagline is stand out in a crowded world or something like that

Lunatic Taskbar

"With Vehicle graphics and wraps" really needs to be more prominent. as does your phone number. People seeing this drive past need to get the contact info really quickly.

I would decide the order of priority and then decide on the sizes. What info is most important when you look at adverts. Its generally how can I benefit from this service or product, then how can they be contacted.

Ian

well i don't share the same opinion regarding phone numbers on vehicles lunatic. i think that the priority should be to grab a potential client attention (if they are in the market for your products and services they will automatically make an association)and that they remember your business name after seeing it on the vehicle driving down the road.

in this day and age i think that many more people are likely to do an internet search for the company after seeing a vehicle on the road (if they remember your company name and are in the market for your products and services.) than they are to write down the phone number of a vehicle driving down the road (unless they are calling to complain about your driving). granted there are some people that will write down that information but to me that is secondary information in regards to vehicles.

to oversimplify the game...the name of the game is repeat exposure advertising your company name/logo and a description of what you do or sell. so that when the client is shopping for products or services that you provide that they make the association of your company with that item or service.

luggnut

hey dan... do you have any suggestions or critiques. i'm trying to get all this together with my move to a new location .. so i had to have new cards with the address change, so i figured i'd try to do all the graphics at once.

i'm trying to get some more eyes on it before i print and install anything to make sure i get it the best i can.

Lunatic Taskbar

Great point Dan well Put.

I based my experience that most people carry cell phones around with them. So they can instantly call and make contact. If it came down to searching on the net later it probably wouldn't work like that.

as an example I wouldn't necessary search on XYZ company who does ABC. I would search on ABC I will then see a whole bunch of companies now looking for my attention.

By encouraging the potential customer to call there and then you are actively trying to eliminate the possibility of them finding your competition They will be calling XYZ directly and then opening up direct talks with the company.

If you had Quote "whatever" to receive a 5% discount from our van you are then reinforcing they call you. You are then also getting terrific feedback that your investment of wrapping the vehicle is actually paying off. Otherwise how would you know it was working?

Ian

Last edited:
put me on the spot why don't you lugg...

ok just my opinions..on the business cards i'm not sold on the font choices under your logo working down through the list of services and your name...i'm just not sold on the font choices. i love your logo, it is a great representation of your style..if you were not a 'sign' shop i would say that your logo is a sign and it is a sign..but it works for me because you are a sign company (did that make any sense at all?)

on the window layout...again i am not sold on the font choice for the list of services. i would also like to see a version of the 'we make you look good' without the white outline..if you could post one of those side by side it would be interesting, to me there is a little bit of an optical effect happening that makes it a little hard on my eyes for whatever reason.

on the van. the 'stand out from the crowd' the line beneath that in the band "with vehicle wraps'...those two pieces do not read as one to me but rather as two separate peices because of the way they are laid out...in my opinion the 'with vehicle wraps' may not even be needed except for the purpose of planting a seed with a client to sell them on wraps...if that is the case i think you need to rework them so that they read as one item and not two.

my only other comment would be again in reference to the bottom band/stripe...i like the band on the van but the text in it just isnt working for me, i feel like whatever goes in that band needs to run the length of the vehicle not just a small blurb in the center..just doesnt balance out for me.

i can visualize your web address in that band.

i am seeing very separate items on the van 3 separate components they just aren't flowing together for me...doesnt look bad. but i've said it before .. i am familiar enough with your work that i can tell when you are struggling with a project and i can tell you are forcing this one. i don't mean this negatively, because it doesnt look bad i'm just not seeing your style yet.

don't force yourself. take your time and work it until you are happy with it. you are an amazing designer. i would rather see you do something temporarily until you are happy with something permanent than to settle.

luggnut

By encouraging the potential customer to call there and then you are actively trying to eliminate the possibility of them finding your competition They will be calling XYZ directly and then opening up direct talks with the company.

If you had Quote "whatever" to receive a 5% discount from our van you are then reinforcing they call you. You are then also getting terrific feedback that your investment of wrapping the vehicle is actually paying off. Otherwise how would you know it was working?

i see how that all could work in a larger city, but in my town there's not another shop that does wraps and not a lot of sign shops period ... so it is more to show that my shop is different from the others. so if i put 5% discount i would have to discount everyone, because in this town they will all see it.

i am seeing very separate items on the van 3 separate components they just aren't flowing together for me...doesnt look bad. but i've said it before .. i am familiar enough with your work that i can tell when you are struggling with a project and i can tell you are forcing this one. i don't mean this negatively, because it doesnt look bad i'm just not seeing your style yet.

that is exactly right , and the reason i am struggling with it ... i need to get it to flow. it does feel seperated.

i'll try removing the white around "we make you look good" it does kind of draw the eye to the white. i'll try some other font choices too. thanks, sorry about putting you on the spot! but i respect your opinion a lot.

Lunatic Taskbar

Hi Luggnut.

You don't need to offer 5% you could offer a free gift on orders over X amount. You could offer priority when quoting the van. literally anything to get them to call, to see an instant benefit to them.! Its simply a way of being able to trace your marketing efforts. and to cut down the chance of loosing them to the search frenzy.

More importantly I was trying to show how important it is not to loose the potential customers from point of initial contact to searching the net. and then possibly loosing them to some one say an hour away. That and even though its a small town. i'm guessing that you will be out of that town from time to time. So although the small town knows you you will be venturing further out.

Ian

luggnut

You don't need to offer 5% you could offer a free gift on orders over X amount. You could offer priority when quoting the van. literally anything to get them to call, to see an instant benefit to them.! Its simply a way of being able to trace your marketing efforts. and to cut down the chance of loosing them to the search frenzy.

More importantly I was trying to show how important it is not to loose the potential customers from point of initial contact to searching the net. and then possibly loosing them to some one say an hour away. That and even though its a small town. i'm guessing that you will be out of that town from time to time. So although the small town knows you you will be venturing further out.

hmmm.. that is something for me to think about? thanks.

if my van is parked in front of my shop and someone walks by it on the way in and then says do i get the 5% discount... or any other offer?

i do like the tracking aspect and keeping the searching down ...

Lunatic Taskbar

if my van is parked in front of my shop and someone walks by it on the way in and then says do i get the 5% discount... or any other offer?

That I guess depends on how you look at it.

Would you happily pay say 5% (as an example) for a customer thats looking to pay say $3000? and they came into your shop because you offered "what ever" and they are now standing inside your shop. Thats a cheap thing!

If you lost a customer who thought oh that service or product is great I must go home and search for that. I will only buy on price. and you realize that you could have enticed them in by offering (what ever). I know I would have kicked myself.

Or would you pay "what ever" it is for a customer to be in your shop. It also depends on if you are beating customers off with a stick. or are actively looking at getting more. If you are beating them off with a stick put your prices up

Its only one way to ensure your marketing dollar is working better for you.

Back on topic do you have any new versions of your signage for psoting?

Ian

iSign

I'm limited on time right now, but I wanted to say I agree with the concept of sign companies being able to help their clients STAND OUT...

But I think your clients will want their identity to stand out... not some disjointed tag line... and i think you need to do the same thing.. sure, you can make the words "STAND OUT" really huge & crooked.. and therefore, they both stand out on the van, and reinforce the concept of standing out... but to me, that's cheap.. you prove nothing... you want FORBUS SIGN DEPOT to stand out... do THAT... and then write "We make YOU stand out!" ...and then if they see YOU, remember YOU & still read far enough to see what you can do for them... then I think you will have done a far better job making the pre-sale with your van!

Jim Doggett

"seems strange that you could copy right a phrase that common"

Yeah; I'd have to agree with that. Google the phrase there are hundreds using it. I wouldn't sweat it; safety in numbers.

I notice on the mock storefront that your sign went over the car a bit. No sweat, but, if cars are parked all along the front, is the sign still seen to an extent that communication is unaffected?

Maybe stand from across the street and try to visualize it.

All else is super cool and high-impact. I think it's A+ work.

Best,

Jim

luggnut

But I think your clients will want their identity to stand out... not some disjointed tag line... and i think you need to do the same thing.. sure, you can make the words "STAND OUT" really huge & crooked.. and therefore, they both stand out on the van, and reinforce the concept of standing out... but to me, that's cheap.. you prove nothing... you want FORBUS SIGN DEPOT to stand out... do THAT... and then write "We make YOU stand out!" ...and then if they see YOU, remember YOU & still read far enough to see what you can do for them... then I think you will have done a far better job making the pre-sale with your van!

yeah i thought about it like that.. and i'm not sure which way to go?

the "stand out" was kind of like when a car lot ad starts with get this car for $199 a month or some other biz like that. then the ad ends with come to so and so company (car lot, bank , sign biz, etc...)

you know catch their interest in the need to stand out first... but i can't decide which way to go. but i have to redo the van so i'll try it with the Forbus Sign Depot as the most important.

do you think the other things (cards, storefront) are working?

luggnut

I notice on the mock storefront that your sign went over the car a bit. No sweat, but, if cars are parked all along the front, is the sign still seen to an extent that communication is unaffected?

you know in my biz i only have 1 or 2 customers arrive at a time... lol.

so there shouldn't be cars there all day or that often.. if that becomes a problem it would be a good thing i guess, it means i've got more customers.

on a side note i appreciate your thoughts Jim.. i always like your post ... you seem real knowledgable and helpful.