• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Snowflakes or Bleedinghearts need to post

FrankW

And yes, lots of people here don't want guns. I think they don't want them because they are afraid of them...afraid of what they will do with them. Those areas of the country that restrict gun ownership tend to be the ones I feel I need to carry the most

If you have a proof that it is safer to live in an area without gun ownership restriction, I would be very interested in the facts or infos. Yes, I‘m shure too that the people dont want guns because they are afraid of them … not without cause.

At the end most people would like to live in a safe environment.

dypinc

If you have a proof that it is safer to live in an area without gun ownership restriction, I would be very interested in the facts or infos. Yes, I‘m shure too that the people dont want guns because they are afraid of them … not without cause.

At the end most people would like to live in a safe environment.
We all have guns here and many of us carry and that is why we live in a safe environment. The criminals know better then to mess with us. The criminals go where gun ownership is restricted or not practiced, other wise known as criminal protection zones. I personally try to avoid establishments with those criminal protection zone signs. I don't feel safe and feel very uncomfortable in that environment.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We all have guns here and many of us carry and that is why we live in a safe environment. The criminals know better then to mess with us. The criminals go where gun ownership is restricted or not practiced, other wise known as criminal protection zones. I personally try to avoid establishments with those criminal protection zone signs. I don't feel safe and feel very uncomfortable in that environment.
It's not restricted in Florida and south Florida is a mecca for crime.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

An armed society, is a polite society

FrankW

We all have guns here and many of us carry and that is why we live in a safe environment. The criminals know better then to mess with us. The criminals go where gun ownership is restricted or not practiced, other wise known as criminal protection zones.
Is this your opinion, or is this a fact?

FrankW

By the way, I‘m a little bit tired of this discussion. I will pull back a little bit, as long as nothing really new will appear.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
By the way, I‘m a little bit tired of this discussion. I will pull back a little bit, as long as nothing really new will appear.
We could change it up a little, cross the pond and start a new thread on what is going on in Ukraine......

BigNate

"An armed society, is a polite society." - Robert A. Heinlein

lots of truth to this, and in the U.S.A. the cities and states with the highest percentage of gun ownership and lowest restrictions on gun ownership trend toward having the lowest gun violence as well. There a lots of studies that show this. And they are repeated often as it seems counter-intuitive to the gun-hating people. However, when you realize that there is no one who is supposed to come and help you if you are being criminally attacked, you also realize that being armed may provide a useful tool in some situations to save your life or someone else's by eliminating a deadly threat. (and if you are thinking about being a criminal, wouldn't you prefer to be the only one with a gun in an unarmed city, rather than in a city where 30% of the citizens are armed?)

Make no mistake, the police are around to help pickup the pieces and send people through the court system - they are under no obligation to save your life when you are confronted by an armed criminal. They police are basically supposed to collect data for an 'after-action-review' of whatever the event was. (This concept was just recently upheld in a case where police watched a man drowned in front of his wife who was pleading for someone to help - the 4 officers involved had already requested that Fire/Rescue be dispatched, but all 4 were perfectly capably of trying to help even if just throwing a float from the shore. The officers were sued for their actions - or lack of actions to save the man- the courts stated that the rescue was not something the police were obligated to do - and that standing by watching him die was completely acceptable to the courts.)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

If the government have no duty to care for a safe environment for the citizens, why will still tax money spent for having a police? Or army? Prisons?
Providing a safe environment and assuring someone's personal safety are two entirely different things. The former the government often takes it upon themselves to attempt to insure, witness OSHA. The latter not so much. Here, unlike the movie 'Minority Report', someone cannot be arrested before they commit a crime, only after they have done so. Thus the police essentially are reactive. The military protects the nation, or at least that's what it's supposed to do. Prisons have far more to do with public safety than rehabilitation of miscreants.

In short, government cannot and does not provide individual security. It can and often does attempt to insure the safety and comfort of collectives usually by concentrating its efforts on that collective's environment rather that its constituency.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The whole country is the military over there at the moment. What aid is Germany sending to ukraine ?? Anything at all ?? Are you in too deep with russia to possibly throw a wrench into the monkeyverken ??

FrankW

Yes, germany sends weapons too to ukraine, but less than I would prefer. We have a real security problem in europe currently with russia.

But, in opposite to the USA, Great Britain and Russia, germany hasn‘t given security assurances to Ukraine, Belarus and Kasakhstan in 1994, if this countries sent sovjet nuclear weapons which are remaining in their areas back to russia (Budapest memorandum on security assurances). This has leaded in my opinion to special responsibility.

But we should do more.

BigNate

Frank, you can google the same raw data that I can - just please look for the raw data. You can see the data is used by both sides to try to argue. I do not think I will convince you of anything - please look at the raw data and make an informed conclusion, not just citing other peoples conclusions.

the few cities that actually had ordinances mandating ownership consistently show almost 0 for violent crimes. Shoot, even look at the total number of firearms in the US, then look at the trend since the '80's for crime per capita - there is actually an inverse trend between violent crime and per capita gun ownership....

though I do not imply that this is a simple relationship. And as the total population has gone up, the total number of violent crimes does show some increase in some areas... but 3 events out of 200 is as LOWER frequency than 2 events out of 100.... seems obvious, but I have recently seen articles showing how violent crime is going up, but when I looked up their data, yes the total crimes went up, but the per capita crime rate went down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm really not into statistics. I got my own. We're a gun-totin' country, but the criminals have lots more guns than the law abiding ones. They also have bigger ones in most cases. I will continue to carry and do my best to keep odds even.

However, I was confronted by someone just last summer who pulled a .45 semi on me and aimed at my crotch. I had no idea there was gonna be a confrontation. My gun was still in my vehicle and this individual said he was gonna blow me away, if I didn't go away. I kept talking, walked past him and stood beside a vehicle with a lady in it. Said, he's gonna hafta shoot this lady now, if he shoots me, as she's a witness to all this. He quick got in his car and drove away. I leaned in the car and the lady said, thanks for getting me involved !!! I didn't see a go***mned thing. I knew it would sound good and it worked. Dodged that one.