• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Oh boy..........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Replaced an electrical face in a 36"×96" cabinet about a week ago. It was a digital print with laminate and looked pretty good if ya ask me. It was the customer's artwork. Anyway, a week goes by and I get an e-mail last night about she saw the sign and there is a scratch in the face. I remember seeing it, too. The edge of the bucket touched it and put about a 1/2" little mar in it which can't be seen from 5' away. It's not a scratch, just a marring. Light doesn't look any different coming through. Just a very small mark you can only see if you are looking for any excuse to get outta paying. She wants me to do it over. Says for what im charging for it, she wants it perfect. There are so many other things wrong with this property, it seems senseless to be picking about something ya really can't see.

Opinions or comments are welcome. Gino

Stacey K

I like making signs
I hate those kinds of people. Maybe she's hoping you tell her you will give her a discount instead. I would do it over and not give her a discount, just out of spite.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I already replaced it from 2 weeks ago. The two girls complained about the colors being off, a bubble or two and demanded I make it over at my expense. Before starting, they came in again and picked a new border color. They changed their own artwork. This time everything met their approval, but this tiny little smudge. I know all she wants is not a discount, but forget the remaining balance altogether. This smudge cannot be seen at night whatsoever and during the day, you hafta be at a certain angle looking up at it and be on a ladder. The sign is about 10' in the air. Their first set of demands were ridiculous, but I know the one girl for over 40 years. I re-did it for her and her only. Her partner is a real winner. Believe it or not, the girl I knew came to the shop last week crying and said she was afraid of her OWN partner. She's found fault with every vendor they have and has made enemies out of everyone. Its apparently her MO. This is why I don't think I'm gonna do it for a third time. If I can, I will get a closeup picture of the area in question.

Val47

Sounds like she needs a lawyer more than a sign... The frightened partner that is. It could be a game, or something much worse.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Gino, what do you think you should do?
Considering what rj and johnny said, I'd tried to carefully get the smudge out. If it doesn't work, offer to split the final payment or redo it, her choice.

Inks

I already replaced it from 2 weeks ago. The two girls complained about the colors being off, a bubble or two and demanded I make it over at my expense. Before starting, they came in again and picked a new border color. They changed their own artwork. This time everything met their approval, but this tiny little smudge. I know all she wants is not a discount, but forget the remaining balance altogether. This smudge cannot be seen at night whatsoever and during the day, you hafta be at a certain angle looking up at it and be on a ladder. The sign is about 10' in the air. Their first set of demands were ridiculous, but I know the one girl for over 40 years. I re-did it for her and her only. Her partner is a real winner. Believe it or not, the girl I knew came to the shop last week crying and said she was afraid of her OWN partner. She's found fault with every vendor they have and has made enemies out of everyone. Its apparently her MO. This is why I don't think I'm gonna do it for a third time. If I can, I will get a closeup picture of the area in question.
It is starting to look like even a perfect installation may not meet her approval and a new design may be requested. Is it time to fire the customer? or is your 40 year relationship with the good partner, worth a reprint?

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I remember you talking about this customer last week or the week before. She sounds like she wants to push around her power. I would reprint it and have her inspect it, sign off and not do anything for them in the future.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'm a people pleaser by nature, but I'm quickly learning that personality type does not win in this business. I would tell her you will Either take it down and get your deposit back or her pay the rest and not do anything. Those are her choices. At some point you gotta put your foot down.