• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay, what's it gonna take to..............................................

Like as is, or more sign content ??

• Total voters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I still have a few of those books. Many times, we'd put them on paper, put them under an opaque and shoot them onto the board or a piece of paper than pounce it if it was for a truck.

netsol

transparency?

Oh hell no, we all know scotch is only good in liquid form. Gotta step it up to the nuclear grade duct tape if you want it to hold together while you get the signature. 8979n is the part number if I remember correctly.

But really, it is pretty nice to not have to give any worry concerning screws/oil canning on the filler panels, just the retainer screws.
a friend in the advertising business always says the highlight of his career was the famous "Scotch, it isn't just for breakfast" ad campaign

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh I have a treat for you! Our filler is integral into the frame these days thanks to signgineer. It just better be a lit sign to cover the cost vs stick building something.

I've got a poster from gemini with about 40 of the standard fonts. 90% of the time someone's asking for a font, it's on this poster. Now whether or not I know the name and can point to it is a different issue, but after 15 (holy hell closer to 20...) years of pulling font names from it, I'm starting to remember them...

I like the idea of proposing a problem, design or install, and a series of arguments about why I'm the most correct. Sounds engaging!

I would love it if someone made a poster of the updated fonts they use these days! Replacements of comic sans, Arial etc.

And yes a hypothetical problem to solve would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, opaque projector. Not an overhead projector. I think I still have it........ somewhere.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I would love it if someone made a poster of the updated fonts they use these days! Replacements of comic sans, Arial etc.

And yes a hypothetical problem to solve would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing. Back in time, before the internet, my dad had a board with font examples on it. If we didn't have it, you didn't get it unless it was hand painted. On the old gerbers, you had to buy each font, they were very expensive and there were only so many slots for them. Honestly, it was much easier like that. For good reason, restaurants have went that direction with simpler menus and less choices.

Notarealsignguy

Oh I have a treat for you! Our filler is integral into the frame these days thanks to signgineer. It just better be a lit sign to cover the cost vs stick building something.

I've got a poster from gemini with about 40 of the standard fonts. 90% of the time someone's asking for a font, it's on this poster. Now whether or not I know the name and can point to it is a different issue, but after 15 (holy hell closer to 20...) years of pulling font names from it, I'm starting to remember them...

I like the idea of proposing a problem, design or install, and a series of arguments about why I'm the most correct. Sounds engaging!
I have the ems catalog. How do you determine the depth of the cabinet? What about the UL sticker, you just run one off your printer like the Chinese do?

Notarealsignguy

View attachment 157793 Oh sh*t, I have one of these in the attic. Also the ever classic 3m overhead projector that my generation is most familiar with. Mine is probably the same brand as this one, though I think its boxier, same shade of teal.
I also have a stack of old work propaganda posters that are straight out of the 80's, been meaning to dig them out and digitize them...

Yeah, did you guys have the nifty wing-dings sort of module for the pirate flag? I had that and a black flag on my old land yacht back in the day, always dreamed of making a helm shaped steering wheel for that beauty!

Oh it's a solid build, don't let the stupid video fool ya. We screw the retainer on, cut and miter lengths with a radial arm saw, and weld it up using pole clamps and c clamps. Cabinet depth is (desired depth - 4 7/32"). If it is any sort of sign with over 4 square feet, it gets a pole and steel saddles top and bottom like usual.
One primary benefit is making something look like an extruded cabinet at any depth, without paying for absurd flimsy extrusion that needs a subframe anyways. UL hasn't had any issue with it, sent some out of state without anybody even commenting on it. It's a good deal cheaper to stock than all sorts of extruded cabinet depths, just sticks of this and sheets of .090 aluminum (a 5x10 gives you 3 10' lengths that will build 24" deep cabinet's sides). We've even cut and grooved 090 like you would acm, (gussetted and welded corners as well) and built single sided wall signs with it.
I'll get you a few shots of a build next time one's in the works if ya like.
I would. It's very similar to how storefronts are built. Clean and easy.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
View attachment 157793 Oh sh*t, I have one of these in the attic. Also the ever classic 3m overhead projector that my generation is most familiar with. Mine is probably the same brand as this one, though I think its boxier, same shade of teal.
I also have a stack of old work propaganda posters that are straight out of the 80's, been meaning to dig them out and digitize them...

Yeah, did you guys have the nifty wing-dings sort of module for the pirate flag? I had that and a black flag on my old land yacht back in the day, always dreamed of making a helm shaped steering wheel for that beauty!

Oh it's a solid build, don't let the stupid video fool ya. We screw the retainer on, cut and miter lengths with a radial arm saw, and weld it up using pole clamps and c clamps. Cabinet depth is (desired depth - 4 7/32"). If it is any sort of sign with over 4 square feet, it gets a pole and steel saddles top and bottom like usual.
One primary benefit is making something look like an extruded cabinet at any depth, without paying for absurd flimsy extrusion that needs a subframe anyways. UL hasn't had any issue with it, sent some out of state without anybody even commenting on it. It's a good deal cheaper to stock than all sorts of extruded cabinet depths, just sticks of this and sheets of .090 aluminum (a 5x10 gives you 3 10' lengths that will build 24" deep cabinet's sides). We've even cut and grooved 090 like you would acm, (gussetted and welded corners as well) and built single sided wall signs with it.
Must be hard to find plutonium waste pellets to run it these days.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I was thinking the same thing. Back in time, before the internet, my dad had a board with font examples on it. If we didn't have it, you didn't get it unless it was hand painted. On the old gerbers, you had to buy each font, they were very expensive and there were only so many slots for them. Honestly, it was much easier like that. For good reason, restaurants have went that direction with simpler menus and less choices.
We had an old Gerber 4b; the first plotter we ever used in our shop. You had to buy a card that plugged into the machine for each font you wanted. It was a big deal to purchase a font.

AN9507A.jpg

Scotchbrite

No comment

We've got our old one stashed where it's safe.

2022-02-09 10.25.07.jpg

Scotchbrite

No comment
I used one of these when I was making maps for the US forest service.
A lot of fun to operate, right? :roflmao:

We used ours for a long time to cut sandblast mask for a specific job that involved making address signs with HDU. Then we got the CNC and made it obsolete. We ended up selling the machine to a guy that also cut sandblast mask with it for monument work. I know as of a few years ago he was still using it.

Johnny Best

"Whats it's gonna take to..." what? Talk about overhead projectors and a Gerber 4b. Think your looking for something Gino, that just does not exist, just a bunch of old dusty machines that have avoided the trash because "someday I might need that" is chanting in the back of your brain.

Johnny Best

Just throwing it out there, on the Honey for sale signs, I liked the middle option. I am a yard sign guy at the end of it all though, and that one would print up nice and have good readability while driving 40MPH down a county road....
Just throwing a beer bottle out there at it while driving down that country road. That coro sign will just bounce right back up like nothing happened after being hit.

I'm only here for about a year and I think this would be a great idea. I don't come around as much anymore as the content seems to be about most anything other than sign related material. I'm in.