Okay, what's it gonna take to..............................................

Like as is, or more sign content ??

• Total voters

Retro Graphics

....... get some real meat & potatoes going in this forum and I ain't talkin' meatloaf and mashed w/gravy.

Can we get back to R E A L sign discussions ??

Enough already about all the quick 'get arounds' and DIY projects. This is a sign forum and a professional one at that and it would be nice if there were sign discussions and questions.

This place is nothing more than a glorified mechanics shop for basement dwellers. We can do better than that.
i happen to like my basement... I renovated it just for my business. of course I also have the garage for auto stuff too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nothing wrong working outta your basement or bedroom. Lotsa people do it. However, it's not a very progessional appearance. Regardless of however you decorate the place, it's hard to convince someone that you are capable of putting up a 25' pylon sign or lettering a fleet of 10 trucks with a straight face standng in your basement or backyard with the kids toys strewn all around and you're cutting the grass. Do you have proper licenses displayed ?? Do you have a driveway separating home and business transactions ?? Do you have a washer and dryer at one end of your office ?? Do you have proper insurances to conduct business in your dining room ?? Do you have a business restroom setup for handicapped in your basement ?? How legally are you REALLY set up for business ?? Be honest.

JBurton

Signtologist
Nothing wrong working outta your basement or bedroom. Lotsa people do it. However, it's not a very progessional appearance. Regardless of however you decorate the place, it's hard to convince someone that you are capable of putting up a 25' pylon sign or lettering a fleet of 10 trucks with a straight face standng in your basement or backyard with the kids toys strewn all around and you're cutting the grass. Do you have proper licenses displayed ?? Do you have a driveway separating home and business transactions ?? Do you have a washer and dryer at one end of your office ?? Do you have proper insurances to conduct business in your dining room ?? Do you have a business restroom setup for handicapped in your basement ?? How legally are you REALLY set up for business ?? Be honest.
It's not as if to be in business, you must also host customers in your place of business. Case in point, shared workspaces offering hourly business suites (not for Johnny's professionals, well maybe, idk) to small companies for 'collaboration', which is just a buzz word for meetings. We have one set up in our city that is just for this sort of scenario, and it's more impressive that my pretty sorry conference room. But for any client you'd really like to impress/schmooze, take them out to eat!

John Miller

Sorry for the poor quality photo, I shot it in the evening while walking my dogs. Is it me or should there be a ton more kerning between the letters? I didn't get this job which is less than 1/2 mile from my house. is it sour grapes or bad layout?

Attachments

• walsh.jpg
    walsh.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 57

GAC05

Very Active Attack Squirrel
Sorry for the poor quality photo, I shot it in the evening while walking my dogs. Is it me or should there be a ton more kerning between the letters? I didn't get this job which is less than 1/2 mile from my house. is it sour grapes or bad layout?
Looks like they used Adobe's default 'intermediate' tracking setting to me.

It is pretty tight for no apparent reason.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It looks very institutional.

JBurton

Signtologist
That does look like tight kerning, but kinda appropriate and consistent.
The real crime here is using Arial on a building. It's like architects have 3 fonts, tempest, arial, and times new roman (that they don't know about or how to change to). They always just draw Arial on the front of the building, and figure they'll dress it up as the customer requests... and the customer can't even imagine their sign will look like that, so they don't bring it up, it must be a place holder. Then you show up with a 4th grader's all caps homework and make this nice new wall look like garbage. Even times is a better selection most days!
Last month I got a file from an architect for a project board. The lettering was a vector object, one bmp, and a jpg of the logo. But the file was huge, and there were 45 bmp in the file. Turns out, they had made vector objects for the lettering, and filled it with a bmp at 300dpi. 3 bands of color, 300 dpi, and a handful of white boxes for the background, 300 dpi as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya never know, maybe the ordinance said it could only be X amount of feet long ?? So they tightened it up. At the size it is, you can read it from just about any distance, so technically, there's nothing wrong. Aesthetically, it could breathe a little more.

Johnny Best

Looks perfect to me, looks like a government Christian school for Indians on the reservation.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I did two of these jobs for the city. They like to keep the font and sizing, etc. consistent. I had to use Arial and had to match the kerning and letter height on the opposite end of the building.