• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Panhandler or Sign Spinner

GypsyGraphics

One visit to Zephyrhills and you might soon understand that it's different in the south. Lots of trailers and inbreeding. There are different classes of people down here. Some are just plain frightful.
i don't care what class they are... that lady is responsible for her child's well being. or at least she's suppose to be.

i'll bet she wouldn't let her son swallow a nickle... i take that back, i'll bet she would.... if you offered her a dime.

SignManiac

:) don't doubt that for a minute. She claimed her baby daddy done run off to Nebraska and left her with a bunch a young'ns!!

Marlene

Now i'm wishing i put this in NBH or After Hours... may get my hand slapped by Fred or this thread moved but.....

it will be me who gets slapped GG 'cause I said "balls" and I wasn't talking soccer, base or basket type!

Patrick46

back to the OT...

one thing about these 'panhandlers' that gets my goat more than anything...

...is that the MAJORITY of these beggars are ABLE-BODIED MEN IN THEIR 20's & 30's!!!!!!!!!!:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: Get off your lazy asses and get a job!!! (and some self-respect along the way too!)

and it also seems to me that the ones giving them the most hand-outs, are middle-class bleeding-heart superstitious women in their 50's!

So...it's basically lazy guys (who are now grown men), who have no reason to break free from the nipple. They still want their mommys to give them their lunch money while they sit around and snivel about "poor me". (which of course, they use this money for drugs and booze insted.)

sorry....but this is an issue that really pisses me off!....and I don't see an end to it anytime soon. :noway:

GypsyGraphics

it will be me who gets slapped GG 'cause I said "balls" and I wasn't talking soccer, base or basket type!
i think maybe "having ME for dinner" and i wasn't talking feeding me, might be a little more NHB than "balls" :snicker, snicker:

and it also seems to me that the ones giving them the most hand-outs, are middle-class bleeding-heart superstitious women in their 50's!
yikes... two outta three!

GypsyGraphics

oops... 4 outta 5 :doh:

got a call just as i was getting ready to write that.
pesky clients, bothering me... and right in the middle of a work day! how rude

Brandon708

I have seen these "homeless" people holding signs in action while i was installing a sign next to a very busy intersection.

This how they did it. This particular scam involved 3 guys. By first glance they looked like drunken drug addicts but at second glance they still looked like drunken drug addicts. They had a pick-up truck parked a little distance a way from the intersection. Two of them would sit in the pick-up truck while one of them would stand at the light where cars would sit. After about 20 minutes or so they would rotate with the next guy. They did this for an hour or so then when they had enough money they left in their truck.

They were completely taking advantage of nice people to get money to buy god knows what. I will never give anyone my money anymore after seeing that.

Last edited:

round man

I have a procedure for most of these types when they ask me if they can ask me a question I promptly tell them they just did,go away,..if they persist I tell them I am not much ahead of them and intend to stay that way,NO they cannot have my hard earned money,....

A long time ago in an old John Wayne movie the Duke hires a ranch hand and promptly tells the guy,..I'll hire you I won't "Give" you a job,...I won't pay you a wage you will EARN it,....I am a strong believer in helping anyone who is trying to help themselves but I just don't contribute to worthless causes,....

GypsyGraphics

wasn't sure i really wanted to relay this story but with the way i started this thread and all the scam posts... i think it's worth telling.

several years go i ran into a woman in a parking lot, crying and feeding her baby a bottle. she was in the parking lot asking for help or money... in fact she was hiding between cars, sitting on one of those cement stops. when i asked if she needed help she said "no" and turned away from me.

standing there something looked odd to me... she had NOTHING with her... no purse, no stroller, no diaper bag... NOTHING!
to be honest...my first thought was, maybe that wasn't her baby
i also noticed the bottle looked like water with just enough milk to make it not clear.

i wanted to call the police but instead i asked if i could give her a ride somewhere, she reluctantly agreed. if she had said no, i'd have called the police.
it wasn't till she was sitting in my car that i saw her face. she looked like she'd been beating up.

as i was driving her home, i tried to give her money, but she wouldn't take it. i kept trying and she finally said if she showed up at home with money it would only make things worse. (no need to explain that in this post)

i asked her if we could stop and get something for the baby and without hesitation she said yes. in the store i grab a cart so we can do some shopping but she wouldn't let me buy her ANYTHING and believe me i tried, that lady wasn't gonna take a stick of gum from me! all she wanted was formula and when i put a case of formula in the cart.... i'll NEVER forget the look on her face! she wasn't thinking "score" ...she looked embarrassed that she was letting me buy it.

i'm sure some of you might think i fell for a scam... but i know i didn't!

i ended up buying NOTHING but a few cases of formula and a few bags of diapers. the second we got out of the store she asked if she could open one of the formula boxes.

i thought this was interesting... i offered to hold the baby so she could make a bottle... but she wouldn't let me. while holding her baby she tore open the box and canister, dumped a scoop in and shook it up and was feeding the baby before we even got to the car.

she was a good mother

don't even think about telling me i was scammed!

Brandon708

You did the right thing GG. With me having a 4 month old at home this story breaks my heart. I really glad she allowed you to help feed the baby.

Good job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gg....... sometimes you just gotta go with your gut and your gut was right on with that one. I believe most of the other posters are talking about real-honest to goodness..... shysters. There's a huge difference, and you....... lovingly know the difference.

You could've been in the middle of a scam, but you trusted your instincts and all worked out well for you, the mother and the baby.

:thumb:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Sometimes people truly need help. Sometimes I don't know who does and who doesn't.

I am the sucker that hands out money to virtually all of them (unless i KNOW they are full of it). I've picked up strangers on the side of the road who looked like they needed a ride... and handed them money or bought them lunch when I hear their stories.

Some have been embarrassed like GG's gal was... some have had that *score* look in their eyes... but I will probably never quit trying to help...

until one of them murders me (which is what my husband tells me all the time - he thinks I'm nuts)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
When it comes to helping the homeless I pretty much go with the gut.

When I was around 19, was working at a gas station, this was a very busy street, so we got all kinds of characters... so I was always saying no to these people.

Anyways, this one guy comes up and asked for money to eat, there was a Denny's across the street and he was hoping to get a breakfast (it was really early in the morning) I was very hesitant, and all I had was a couple of twenties. I figured what the heck and handed him one, about 2 hours later he returns and gives it back to me. Manager gave him a job. I worked at the station off and on for the next 2 years and I always saw him start his morning shift. About the time I left the job, he came by and thanked me again, he had gotten an apartment, was getting ready to get a car, and was starting as a manager at another restaurant so I wouldn't be seeing him anymore... made me feel real good.

------

You have to be careful about feeding a homeless person... me and some buddies were in Long Beach at a car show, I bought a couple of muffins at this one place, this guy asks for money to eat.. told him i didn't have any but I offered him a muffin, he took one and thanked me... as me and my buddies were walking back, he was bent over in pain, the muffin didn't agree with him...

------

I live in a craphole town, lot of tweakers, I get asked all the time. I get the "ran out of gas story" and stuff like that... have not handed out too much but we have around 20% unemployment here, it's not a great place to panhandle because people either have no money, or it's really hot, or very cold here, so I am thinking quite a few are legit.

GypsyGraphics

I will probably never quit trying to help...
until one of them murders me (which is what my husband tells me all the time - he thinks I'm nuts)

my husband thinks i'm nuts too!
he's a really good guy but the ultimate cynic... thinks i'm gonna get myself killed someday.
he says all the time... i shouldn't be allowed out of my box (the house)

Last edited: