• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plywood Yard Art

Teresam

New Member- Also, not a professional
Hi all,

I been getting into plywood yard art since August of 2021 and I'm just trying to get some opinions on a couple of problems I have ran into.

Firstly...I have seen some plywood yard art from the 90s that have still held up but I cannot figure out the type of plywood and paint they used. Their plywood always seem so durable and solid along with the paint they used unlike mine where the wood is all wobbly throughout and the paint kind of just sits on it easily marred.
I have tried the BC sanded pine plywood at 1/2 inch thickness (really the only thing around here I can find in NC)and had somewhat success. Obviously with nothing like a stake going all the way up behind the back of it...it warps terribly.

I prime with a very generous coating of Killz primer on every square inch of the piece before I draw and paint my design. Using outdoor latex paint from home depot. I find that any tiny little ding messes up the paint when finished and dried though kimd of like it never really dries hard. When looking at the old time plywood art their paint is dried hard where it can't be poked or torn away if that makes sense.
I then finish it off on every inch with a couple coats of water based Helmsman Spar urethane (I don't use oil based because it ambers) but that never really dries hard either. I could scratch it with my nail and mess up all the way through to the paint.
I've heard to use MDO for the sign but that is literally impossible to find in my area.

Basically, I'm looking for tips on what type of plywood, paint, and weather resistant coat to put on it where they all actually dry down hard instead of a soft...rubbery easily scratched and dented surface.
Keep in mind, I am new to this and just want to keep this art alive. No cnc used here, all jigsaw cut and handpainted and just want to know everything I can so that I can be like the old timers that made the art like the ones I've attached. I've also attached my own work as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-172642_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-172642_Chrome.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 3,617
  • Screenshot_20220502-172236_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-172236_Messages.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_20220502-172212_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-172212_Messages.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 215

The Hobbyist

I have been toying with the idea of making some yard art like this. I tend to do everything BIG, so I have wanted to build a 30 foot tall baby with blocks or something, out of plywood in the same way, and put it where it can be seen from the main highway. Maybe it would become a landmark!

Drawing the file using the CNC table with a pen plotter is all that would be necessary. Then it is just paint by numbers after that!

Joe

Attachments

• BABY WITH BLOCKS.jpg
    BABY WITH BLOCKS.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 223

geb

I recommend mdo if you can find, plywood outdoors is mostly shorter term from my experience. I use a lot of mdo, prime with water based Zinser, or Kilz. Topcoat with Ronan bulltin enamel oil base, clear with Ronan UV Absorber when fully cured. The oil enamel dries longer this may not work for your intentions, ronan does make a water base topcoat although I have never used, then clear with their UV clear. You can purchase their paints in quarts and gallons.

Teresam

I recommend mdo if you can find, plywood outdoors is mostly shorter term from my experience. I use a lot of mdo, prime with water based Zinser, or Kilz. Topcoat with Ronan bulltin enamel oil base, clear with Ronan UV Absorber when fully cured. The oil enamel dries longer this may not work for your intentions, ronan does make a water base topcoat although I have never used, then clear with their UV clear. You can purchase their paints in quarts and gallons.
I have had MDO recommended as that is what it is for basically (outdoor signs). However it is just not available in this state. I have called everywhere. I know that some people have used normal plywood and got alot of years out of their signs but not sure which one would be best.
Where on earth do you get your MDO our hardware stores don't carry it anymore and all the lumber mills don't have it either.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I have had MDO recommended as that is what it is for basically (outdoor signs). However it is just not available in this state. I have called everywhere. I know that some people have used normal plywood and got alot of years out of their signs but not sure which one would be best.
Where on earth do you get your MDO our hardware stores don't carry it anymore and all the lumber mills don't have it either.
You can get it from a sign supplier like Grimco. They have a branch in Greensboro.

Teresam

It would be this, right?
Do you know if it dries rock hard and not like soft or rubbery? Also would it be okay over latex or acrylic paints?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-200613_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-200613_Chrome.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 233

Billct2

You need a better grade of plywood, I think ACX is the designation. After cutting seal edges with paintable caulk, the prime and paint with exterior grade paints. If warping is still an issue add some stringers on the back.

unclebun

I presume that you are not making these plywood figures for yourself, but for sale. That makes you a business. If you are not registered with your state and county as a business and don't have a sales tax ID number for collecting and remitting sales tax, do so. Then you will be able to register with a sign supplier to buy sign supplies.

I would suggest finding an N. Glantz branch and contacting them, since they will also sell the paints you need. They have branches in Norfolk, VA and Columbia, SC. There's also Robbins Sign Supply in Lenoir, NC. There are probably others.

You would need to make these from sign quality MDO plywood (they make MDO for concrete forms. It is unsatisfactory) and need to paint them with high quality enamel sign paint, like Ronan or One Shot if you want them to last like the old ones you have seen.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Thanks! I called Grimco they said I would have to be a business to buy from them, and in bulk. :(
so get a dba and a tax number and do it. it costs almost nothing to get the dba and tax number and all you have to do is supply it to grimco (and while youre at it, check out other suppliers) then buy in bulk.

Teresam

Excuse me, but if Grimco didn't recognize you as a business, how on earth did you get into THIS place ??

You're on a professional sign forum, which is for other professionals in the sign business only..... or teachers or students in the sign industry.

Not to sound nasty, but this place is not for people such as you..... and that's the truth. So, if you don't wanna play by the rules, do as you like.
But you do, in fact sound nasty actually...because I never said I wanted to sell these signs.

These are only for me (I do not have the urge to sell one thing I make as it is not for money making...I do not have time for that unfortunately)

I would not make a business or sell signs if I didn't even have a grasp yet of what the heck I am doing. I am currently doing this as a hobby for myself, I love making things with wood and since I was a child always wanted the wooden yard art that I would see the old man down the road made and put in the yard FOR HIMSELF...not as a business.
I would just like to do things right, and try and recreate the quality signs they made back then so that they can last me for years and maybe hand down to my kids as they did.
I figured coming on here...(I don't have social media and never will) would help me get some advice from people like the man that used to live down the road from me on how I can make something like that myself instead of paying $300 on Etsy for something not all like the vintage ones...that last.
-"Not to sound nasty"..but people like you who come off very rude and un-welcoming to someone who is learning (a student) to try and keep a dying art alive (the old way too..not with these cnc computer machines everyone uses) are the reason the art is dying.. new people are intimidated to ask questions from professionals because of how they act to certain questions. You once didnt know what you were doing either and had to figure it out too.
But I take everyone's opinion in and appreciate it, even the negative ones. And I thank you for the time you took to respond.

Thank you sir.

Last edited:

Teresam

You need a better grade of plywood, I think ACX is the designation. After cutting seal edges with paintable caulk, the prime and paint with exterior grade paints. If warping is still an issue add some stringers on the back.
Thanks!
I'm sorry, forgive me but what are stringers? I don't want to get yelled at :/

Teresam

I presume that you are not making these plywood figures for yourself, but for sale. That makes you a business. If you are not registered with your state and county as a business and don't have a sales tax ID number for collecting and remitting sales tax, do so. Then you will be able to register with a sign supplier to buy sign supplies.

I would suggest finding an N. Glantz branch and contacting them, since they will also sell the paints you need. They have branches in Norfolk, VA and Columbia, SC. There's also Robbins Sign Supply in Lenoir, NC. There are probably others.

You would need to make these from sign quality MDO plywood (they make MDO for concrete forms. It is unsatisfactory) and need to paint them with high quality enamel sign paint, like Ronan or One Shot if you want them to last like the old ones you have seen.
I'm not making these to sell, I have 2 kids and a full time job. Not enough time or energy for that lol. Just a hobby. I like to do things myself instead of buy from others. It gives me pride in my work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But you do, in fact sound nasty actually...because I never said I wanted to sell these signs.

These are only for me (I do not have the urge to sell one thing I make as it is not for money making...I do not have time for that unfortunately)

I would not make a business or sell signs if I didn't even have a grasp yet of what the heck I am doing. I am currently doing this as a hobby for myself, I love making things with wood and since I was a child always wanted the wooden yard art that I would see the old man down the road made and put in the yard FOR HIMSELF...not as a business.
I would just like to do things right, and try and recreate the quality signs they made back then so that they can last me for years and maybe hand down to my kids as they did.
I figured coming on here...(I don't have social media and never will) would help me get some advice from people like the man that used to live down the road from me on how I can make something like that myself instead of paying $300 on Etsy for something not all like the vintage ones...that last.
-"Not to sound nasty"..but people like you who come off very rude and un-welcoming to someone who is learning (a student) to try and keep a dying art alive (the old way too..not with these cnc computer machines everyone uses) are the reason the art is dying.. new people are intimidated to ask questions from professionals because of how they act to certain questions. You once didnt know what you were doing either and had to figure it out too.
But I take everyone's opinion in and appreciate it, even the negative ones. And I thank you for the time you took to respond.

Thank you sir.

Facts are facts. The reason for the earlier reply is plain and simple. Its the rules of this place. You are neither a student in school or college and you are not a business. Thus, you are not a professional or trying to become one. Therefore, you are taking money off the table from someone who could make these for you, but YOU refuse to pay what they're worth in materials or knowledge-wise so you skirt around them with your own make believe reasons.

Had you registered as a business trying to learn more about the trade and such, you'd be more than welcomed into the fold. However, you didn't.

Being nasty to be spiteful would be one thing, but your misunderstanding facts is wrong and I explained it before writing, so again, it's on you. Did you even read the rules and policies for entering into s101 ??

Oh, and by the way, this is not a dying art. It's all over the place. Had you googled it, you'd find all the information you'd want about it all over the place. I've done many of these things over the years and you're right. I have some still being used, that I made back in the late 70's for a nativity scene. I have some of my own for my own home, but I gave up on wood 20 years ago.

There is a real reason in why I find breaking this rule mean, rude and wrong as you did....... about 2 years ago, a woman came on this board whose husband was a member here, but was stricken down with disease and unable to make a living or provide for his family. She wanted to sell his tools and supplies to other members here who could appreciate and use these tools and provide for someone else. At the time, the authorities in power, refused her to do this, although her husband had a membership here. Her posts and requests were yanked from the view of others and that was that. I personally felt, that was wrong, but those in power said that's just the way it is. We cannot break our own rules. Therefore, regardless of your story, you have no reason to be here, other than you are a wannabee. You'll find help here, but as said earlier, by rights,..... you shouldn't be here, but you keep on breaking the rules and do as you please and see fit in your world.

Oh...... and save the you hadda start somewhere routine for real people, not wannabees. :popcorn:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Facts are facts. The reason for the earlier reply is plain and simple. Its the rules of this place. You are neither a student in school or college and you are not a business. Thus, you are not a professional or trying to become one. Therefore, you are taking money off the table from someone who could make these for you, but YOU refuse to pay what they're worth in materials or knowledge-wise so you skirt around them with your own make believe reasons.

Had you registered as a business trying to learn more about the trade and such, you'd be more than welcomed into the fold. However, you didn't.

Being nasty to be spiteful would be one thing, but your misunderstanding facts is wrong and I explained it before writing, so again, it's on you. Did you even read the rules and policies for entering into s101 ??

Oh, and by the way, this is not a dying art. It's all over the place. Had you googled it, you'd find all the information you'd want about it all over the place. I've done many of these things over the years and you're right. I have some still being used, that I made back in the late 70's for a nativity scene. I have some of my own for my own home, but I gave up on wood 20 years ago.

There is a real reason in why I find breaking this rule mean, rude and wrong as you did....... about 2 years ago, a woman came on this board whose husband was a member here, but was stricken down with disease and unable to make a living or provide for his family. She wanted to sell his tools and supplies to other members here who could appreciate and use these tools and provide for someone else. At the time, the authorities in power, refused her to do this, although her husband had a membership here. Her posts and requests were yanked from the view of others and that was that. I personally felt, that was wrong, but those in power said that's just the way it is. We cannot break our own rules. Therefore, regardless of your story, you have no reason to be here, other than you are a wannabee. You'll find help here, but as said earlier, by rights,..... you shouldn't be here, but you keep on breaking the rules and do as you please and see fit in your world.

Oh...... and save the you hadda start somewhere routine for real people, not wannabees. :popcorn:
you gave up on wood?

(sorry. had to say it)

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have to agree with Gino. This is a professional site, not a hobbyist site. I would check out some hobby woodworking sites. Even search on Pinterest or Etsy for ideas, etc. both sites have a wealth of information and if you would decide to start selling them you would get discounts as the rest of us do on materials. But, it's only fair that you put the work into starting a business and paying the start up fees like the rest of us did to get wholesale prices - at this point it's just a hobby. I have a bad hobby of buying plants. I would love to get them wholesale but I'm not a business so I have to pay full price.

Teresam

I actually did Google it.

And I found almost NOTHING about specifically plywood yard art. Maybe 1 forum of a guy who did these but veey vague on what materials are best.
The art of making it with your hands and not a computer, is a dying art.
The people that I've seen make these cnc mass produce, then after painting only give a light spray of Rustoleum spray paint clear coat and ship em off and usually make a point in the description to say "hey what happens to these signs 2 months from now ain't my problem". Basically saying they look great when you get them but they used crap material and you wont know it til later once its been put out in the yard for the season for it to warp on you with not even 1 whole year of use (proper use, at that because some folks do abuse them like they're made of steel) but it won't be their problem.
I know this...because I have actually spent QUITE ALOT of money buying from these different folk.
So no sir, I am not taking money off the table I am simply refusing go spend another $600 on crap that isn't made the way it used to be. Thus why I want to learn to do it myself...the right way and take pride in doing so.
If what you are saying about wanting to burn me at the stake is the reason you're all fired up about me posting here is this...I have nothing to do with that. This is just me asking how I can make a quality sign like Mr. Burness made down the road as I cannot find those quality signs anymore. He died before I was old enough to really ask questions and gain knowledge. I wish there were more sweet souls like him around willing to educate someone who genuinely wants to learn the skill rather than be so hateful. It has nothing to do with me being cheap or taking money from anyone. The materials that it takes to make this are not cheap and I am completely fine with that.
Seems to me you have more of a personal vendetta against the way this site does their post regulations than anything else so no need to be rude I am not trying to be spiteful hateful or anything. I just want to learn.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I actually did Google it.

And I found almost NOTHING about specifically plywood yard art. Maybe 1 forum of a guy who did these but veey vague on what materials are best.
The art of making it with your hands and not a computer, is a dying art.
The people that I've seen make these cnc mass produce, then after painting only give a light spray of Rustoleum spray paint clear coat and ship em off and usually make a point in the description to say "hey what happens to these signs 2 months from now ain't my problem". Basically saying they look great when you get them but they used crap material and you wont know it til later once its been put out in the yard for the season for it to warp on you with not even 1 whole year of use (proper use, at that because some folks do abuse them like they're made of steel) but it won't be their problem.
I know this...because I have actually spent QUITE ALOT of money buying from these different folk.
So no sir, I am not taking money off the table I am simply refusing go spend another $600 on crap that isn't made the way it used to be. Thus why I want to learn to do it myself...the right way and take pride in doing so.
If what you are saying about wanting to burn me at the stake is the reason you're all fired up about me posting here is this...I have nothing to do with that. This is just me asking how I can make a quality sign like Mr. Burness made down the road as I cannot find those quality signs anymore. It has nothing to do with me being cheap or taking money from anyone. The materials that it takes to make this are not cheap and I am completely fine with that.
Seems to me you have more of a personal vendetta against the way this site does their post regulations than anything else so no need to be rude I am not trying to be spiteful hateful or anything. I just want to learn.
ok, but you are on a sign business forum and you don't own a sign business. at some point logic of the situation has to set in.