• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plywood Yard Art

The Hobbyist

Facts are facts. The reason for the earlier reply is plain and simple. Its the rules of this place. You are neither a student in school or college and you are not a business. Thus, you are not a professional or trying to become one. Therefore, you are taking money off the table from someone who could make these for you, but YOU refuse to pay what they're worth in materials or knowledge-wise so you skirt around them with your own make believe reasons.
Large bottles of CHILL PILLS are on sale right now at COSTCO.

Joe

mim

0_o
I don't get what the big deal is about this person's post?
I've seen other posts on here that weren't "professional"
why so upset? is this worth crying about?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Way to encourage people to carry on the trade. :omg2:

Joe
The OP said she never had intentions and have no current intentions of doing any such thing. She wants to make them for herself to save money. She's upset cause the old guy died when she was a kid and she only 1/2 remembers anything about them. She doesn't wanna carry on anything. That's a myth in your head, like it is in hers. You people just astound me. She skirts around everything and you praise and fall down on her feet like she's done something good for a cause.

Get a hold of yourself and go play in a corner. :snarky:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't get what the big deal is about this person's post?
I've seen other posts on here that weren't "professional"
why so upset? is this worth crying about?
Cough them up. Show us. Prove what you say. Just saying something don't mean squat around here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No one is yelling at you. Well, no one worth your time or attention, anyway. The fact of the matter is, long before you needed the government's blessing to do ordinary things like fishing, and hunting, and making signs that you may or may not sell, America was a FREE country. You didn't NEED the gu'mint's permission to do much of anything. I don't CARE if you are a business, or a stay-at-home Mom who needs an outlet, like "Hand Painting Signs For FUN and PROFIT!" Speaking only for myself, I am glad you are HERE, and I know that SOME of the "professionals" here are more concerned about sharing what they have learned and helping you to avoid costly mistakes, than pointing at the "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!" sign at the entrance of the tree house.

Stringers are long, thin wafers of wood attached to the rear of a sign, to prevent it from warping in the damp outdoor weather. They are sometimes crescent-shaped, or they may be long strips of plywood, etc. They are usually only a couple of inches wide if that, and they are attached perpendicular to the rear surface of the sign. They work in the same way the webs of an I-Beam prevent the center web from bowing under a load. So the sign face cannot curve like a potato chip, because the stringers on the back side do not easily bend in THAT direction.

Joe

Then, ya have these kinda answers which..... whadafug does that even mean ?? Did you make that up ?? You sure didn't find that written anywhere and copy & paste it, cause that ain't no stringer in ANY industry. Signs, boat building, housemaking, staircases...... nada. So, these will be the answers from the knowledgeable newcomers into this industry. Good grief, I can't wait to see the next intelligible thing outta your mouth. Oh yeah.... a font factory decoder.

The Hobbyist

Then, ya have these kinda answers which..... whadafug does that even mean ?? Did you make that up ?? You sure didn't find that written anywhere and copy & paste it, cause that ain't no stringer in ANY industry. Signs, boat building, housemaking, staircases...... nada. So, these will be the answers from the knowledgeable newcomers into this industry. Good grief, I can't wait to see the next intelligible thing outta your mouth. Oh yeah.... a font factory decoder.

You know ... all across 'Merica, people use different words to describe the same things. I guess they just didn't check with YOU first.

Joe

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You know ... all across 'Merica, people use different words to describe the same things. I guess they just didn't check with YOU first.

Joe
Ya know, why don't you just shutup while ya still can ?? There's no substitution for fundamentals. Stringers are what they are for a lot longer than I've been alive. However, no one has a name for what you just described, unless you're talking about a gusset or some reasonable fact simile. Looking at your profile, jack of all trades, huh ?? Not even a novice of any with bullsh!t like your drivel. Guess, I'm just tired of all the nonsense you people dream up.

The Hobbyist

Ya know, why don't you just shutup while ya still can ?? There's no substitution for fundamentals. Stringers are what they are for a lot longer than I've been alive. However, no one has a name for what you just described, unless you're talking about a gusset or some reasonable fact simile. Looking at your profile, jack of all trades, huh ?? Not even a novice of any with bullsh!t like your drivel. Guess, I'm just tired of all the nonsense you people dream up.
Do you wear pants? Or do you wear trousers? Or do you wear jeans? Or do you wear slacks? Or do you wear corduroys? Or do you wear bloomers? Or do you wear knickerbockers? Or do you wear bell bottoms? Or do you wear cords? Or do you wear denims? Or do you wear baggies? What is the name of the garment you wear?

Joe

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Do you wear pants? Or do you wear trousers? Or do you wear jeans? Or do you wear slacks? Or do you wear corduroys? Or do you wear bloomers? Or do you wear knickerbockers? Or do you wear bell bottoms? Or do you wear cords? Or do you wear denims? Or do you wear baggies? What is the name of the garment you wear?

Joe

He wears a toga.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Joe

Evidently, you get asked these questions a lot to have such a stupid come back. A stringer is a stringer. Whatever you're talking about is something entirely different in any language or culture.

The Hobbyist

Evidently, you get asked these questions a lot to have such a stupid come back. A stringer is a stringer. Whatever you're talking about is something entirely different in any language or culture.
A stringer is a straight piece of rigid material attached to another piece of material or a structure, either parallel or perpendicular in orientation, in order to provide an opposing force to a load that would otherwise force the main piece to yield and bend under duress. A stringer is used to enhance the rigidity of a given length of material. It can be attached in many different ways. It is effective due to the resistance of the stringer to bend on the same plane as the material it is reinforcing.

Joe

The Hobbyist

I see. In YOUR WORLD, it is "Stupid" to point out the fact that the same garment is known by many different names... and a "stringer" is ONLY what YOU say it is. Got'cha.

Joe

geb

It would be this, right?
Do you know if it dries rock hard and not like soft or rubbery? Also would it be okay over latex or acrylic paints?
That is not the product I referenced, UV Aquathane water based would be the product, yes it dries to a pretty hard finish unless you put it on to thick.