• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plywood Yard Art

Teresam

New Member- Also, not a professional
I have to agree with Gino. This is a professional site, not a hobbyist site. I would check out some hobby woodworking sites. Even search on Pinterest or Etsy for ideas, etc. both sites have a wealth of information and if you would decide to start selling them you would get discounts as the rest of us do on materials. But, it's only fair that you put the work into starting a business and paying the start up fees like the rest of us did to get wholesale prices - at this point it's just a hobby. I have a bad hobby of buying plants. I would love to get them wholesale but I'm not a business so I have to pay full price.
I'm not trying to buy at wholesale prices...I want to pay full price but simply cannot locate the material and want suggestions on what paint and sealant is best.
I AM NOT TRYING TO GET A LEG UP ON YOU FOLKS GOOD LORD..I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING OR GET WOODWORKER DISCOUNTS...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow-wee..... someone has a lotta issues and seems to bring quite a bit of baggage to the table.

Ya know tere, you make a lotta sh!t up and put my name or insinuate me in front or in back of it. I have no problem with how this place is run. I quite like it. You're the one with the problems. You want everyone to treat you with kidd gloves and do your homework for you. I have no problem calling you out or anyone else, but you seem to wanna hide behind some what you think are silly accusations and consider yourself civil. It's not my fault you don't know how to shop or do your homework, but buying stuff off the internet is not always what it's cracked up to be. And you found out, first hand. So, now take it out on me. Haha.

Do you really think me or anyone else here cares you got burnt by some hack ?? That's the main thing we're all against in this place. Backyard hacks and wannabees who can't do squat, but pretend and make-believe they're one of us. Hence, this thread. This thread should be deleted, cause it ain't helping you and it sure ain't helping the forum.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame you're not better acquainted with google or some key words so you could do this on your own. Like I said, someone is bound to feel sorry for ya and help ya out. Maybe even a sign shop in your backyard will open up to ya. What's that ?? No one knows who you are cause you didn't fill anything in on your profile sheet ??

Teresam

It's a shame you're not better acquainted with google or some key words so you could do this on your own. Like I said, someone is bound to feel sorry for ya and help ya out. Maybe even a sign shop in your backyard will open up to ya. What's that ?? No one knows who you are cause you didn't fill anything in on your profile sheet ??
I have tried Google...there is nothing on plywood yard art. Just some a_hole on YouTube doing everything wrong.
And that's how I got here...this showed up.
So you're saying unless I want to SELL these signs..which I cannot right now but who knows maybe I will once I figure out how to make something that's worth a damn instead of cheating people out of their money to cut corners...I cannot be here. Right?
I'm not asking for no handout. I'm trying to do this on my own I'm just starting out like everyone else did. I don't want nobody to do anything for me. I've only come here after exhausting all other ways I've tried.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have tried Google...there is nothing on plywood yard art. Just some a_hole on YouTube doing everything wrong.
And that's how I got here...this showed up.
So you're saying unless I want to SELL these signs..which I cannot right now but who knows maybe I will once I figure out how to make something that's worth a damn instead of cheating people out of their money to cut corners...I cannot be here. Right?
I'm not asking for no handout. I'm trying to do this on my own I'm just starting out like everyone else did. I don't want nobody to do anything for me. I've only come here after exhausting all other ways I've tried.

No, I'm not saying it..... the rules and forum policies have it in writing. Don't take my word for it. READ.

I googled it and about 40 different places came up. Here's like the first one. Yeah, right, you really worked your butt off checking this sh!t out, huh ??

Teresam

LOL that's the same guy I mentioned above. When I said he is vague about his materials. He says use exterior grade plywood. I did. It is not the same material that was used on the vintage signs, and did not hold up to well after priming painting and sealing..it survived for like maybe a season then started to warp. That's why I have been trying to find MDO (let me disclose, at FULL PRICE...before I get burned alive). It is meant specifically for outdoor signs and looking at the vintage signs they appear to be MDO due to not being wobbly like any other plywood usually is.
Also I would like to note that that same post is what got me into doing this in the first place..making my own yard art because I've wanted to do so since I was young. So I have seen that post..time and time again

Teresam

LOL that's the same guy I mentioned above. When I said he is vague about his materials. He says use exterior grade plywood. I did. It is not the same material that was used on the vintage signs, and did not hold up to well after priming painting and sealing..it survived for like maybe a season then started to warp. That's why I have been trying to find MDO (let me disclose, at FULL PRICE...before I get burned alive). It is meant specifically for outdoor signs and looking at the vintage signs they appear to be MDO due to not being wobbly like any other plywood usually is.
Also I would like to note that that same post is what got me into doing this in the first place..making my own yard art because I've wanted to do so since I was young. So I have seen that post..time and time again
Along with literally every other post u will put here. I guarantee it. I have been looking since about November of last year. Every keyword you can think. Same crap "use outdoor plywood"..."use spar urethane to seal it. I did, and...I did. Still not the same result.

Teresam

These signs from the 70's-90's were very solid, very hard. And the paint and sealant they used almost seemed to be a part of the wood. Like it was printed on there instead of a layer of paint you could scratch off with your finger nail or dent.

mim

0_o
welcome to signs 101, the vibe is typically hostile :)

I don't have much experience with this but I've been learning some old fashioned sign painting from an old timer at the shop here. We use 1Shot Lettering enamel. I did a quick google search of "1shot paint plywood" and this little forum popped up. I didn't read much into it but it looks like it could have some useful information for you.

Teresam

Thank you so much.

I've often thought maybe some type of enamel or oil based paint was used back then rather than the latex and acrylic paints used nowadays where they don't really ever cure onto the surface. They just kind of sit on top if that makes sense. I wish I could explain it a little better. But hopefully you know what I mean by that. Lol
I will do some research on this type of paint. Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

mim

0_o
I know what you mean! Hopefully I sent you in the right direction.

And for the record, if you go to register for an account on signs 101 one of the options you can select reads:

"I only create signs or other graphic products for in-house use or I am employed by an organization that does and we do not sell signs or other graphic products to paying customers"

So, hobbyists welcome?

Teresam

Lol thanks...I was LITERALLY about to post the exact same thing actually.
My request was reviewed by admin before being approvesd. I READ the rules and regulations. And if what I selected was exactly that selection. If it was against the rules and regulations...it would have been denied.

• Agree

Teresam

Lol thanks...I was LITERALLY about to post the exact same thing actually.
My request was reviewed by admin before being approvesd. I READ the rules and regulations. And if what I selected was exactly that selection. If it was against the rules and regulations...it would have been denied.
Also it never said in rules and regulations "you must be a 30 year veteran and sell your stuff to paying cutomers".
It simply says "largest forum of sign making professionals". Thus why I made an account...to get advice from said professionals because I want to learn as well. I don't have social media (Facebook, tiktok, instagram) and wanted to get real advice from people who actually know what they're doing.

• Agree

mim

0_o
lol yeah I've noticed that some people here are more interested in putting others down than sharing experience. Makes for entertaining forums though, not gonna lie.

To help with your search I'd try searching for sign painting/sign lettering techniques, those keywords might bring up more relevant results.

Teresam

Which ironically... is actually listed to be against the rules in the rules and regulations :roflmao:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Use solid wood, it looks like it might hold up better
yard art.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I stand corrected.

After some of us going through the rules and policies of s101, looks as though some things have changed. You no longer need to be a part of this industry to be a member, which kinda makes no sense. You need no experience, want of or be a part of this industry..... to be a member of this forum.

So, as to tere and her friends not really being a part of this industry. I am sorry. I had no idea the rules/policies had changed.

Therefore, no longer a professional site or forum for signmakers.

Good luck.

The Hobbyist

Thanks! I called Grimco they said I would have to be a business to buy from them, and in bulk. :(

Thanks!
I'm sorry, forgive me but what are stringers? I don't want to get yelled at :/

No one is yelling at you. Well, no one worth your time or attention, anyway. The fact of the matter is, long before you needed the government's blessing to do ordinary things like fishing, and hunting, and making signs that you may or may not sell, America was a FREE country. You didn't NEED the gu'mint's permission to do much of anything. I don't CARE if you are a business, or a stay-at-home Mom who needs an outlet, like "Hand Painting Signs For FUN and PROFIT!" Speaking only for myself, I am glad you are HERE, and I know that SOME of the "professionals" here are more concerned about sharing what they have learned and helping you to avoid costly mistakes, than pointing at the "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!" sign at the entrance of the tree house.

Stringers are long, thin wafers of wood attached to the rear of a sign, to prevent it from warping in the damp outdoor weather. They are sometimes crescent-shaped, or they may be long strips of plywood, etc. They are usually only a couple of inches wide if that, and they are attached perpendicular to the rear surface of the sign. They work in the same way the webs of an I-Beam prevent the center web from bowing under a load. So the sign face cannot curve like a potato chip, because the stringers on the back side do not easily bend in THAT direction.

Joe