• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut machine. which one?

Fun Signs

Ok I am planning on getting a print and cut machine for the home. I do alot for family and love to make decals. I have a 12 cutter now that works great, But want to do more. I see the Roland PC-12 is no longer avaible. Which system do you recommend in the 30" or smaller range? I only do small stuff. Be easy on me I'm new to PRINT and CUT, But not new to sign making.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What can you afford ??

Just saying you want to do family decals doesn’t merit any knowledge no matter how long you’ve been around signs.

There is a new member here that has a wonderful site. TheSignExpert.com.

Do yourself a favor and go there. You should find all of your answers under one roof.

Flame

Personally, I think you need more research. Printers are high maintenance, and expensive. A good starter machine is the Roland VersaCamm 30". But they're $12K.

What's your budget?

Fun Signs

I realize there are print and cut machines in the 20 grand range, But I am looking to do small stuff. I am not saying I have alot of knowledge, But I get ALOT of complements on all the cut stuff I do. I do alot of multi-color layer to. 90% I learned on my own to. Just looking for oppinions. Thanks

Fun Signs

I already looked at the VersaCamm 30" and I really like that (that may be an option also), But if there is something smaller that you all may know of I would be interested in looking at that.

Flame

I already looked at the VersaCamm 30" and I really like that (that may be an option also), But if there is something smaller that you all may know of I would be interested in looking at that.

The VersaCamm is about the bottom of the barrel as far as wide format solvent printers go. There are a few other options out there, but ink won't last more than 6 months, and it would be a pain in the rear to run.

So, simple answer. No. There aren't any cheaper options.

zmatalucci

Flame nailed it on the head. It's not for the faint at heart. There is a very steep learning curve in all aspects of printing.
Just because your family compliments you, doesn't really mean anything. Mothers call there ugly children cute.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Look at it this way.... and this isn't meant to be smart.......

You didn't put a spec of information about you, your business or anything for that matter in your profile. However, you want to pick people's brains and you want them to be on the level with you. Why do you think this is a One Way street ?? Your customer's compliments won't get you any information here. You have to pave your own way. It's not always a free ride.

This is far from a tongue lashing. It is meant to be helpful, because it looks like you might be going down the same river that many others have without that famous paddle.

Fun Signs

Wow. You guys are harsh. I thought forums are to help people, Not here I guess. I'll figure it out on my own like I did with my cutter.

Flame

Wow. You guys are harsh. I thought forums are to help people, Not here I guess. I'll figure it out on my own like I did with my cutter.

Your mistake for not sticking around and learning. Just gotta wade through the grumpiness.

Buying a printer is not a light hearted decision (or.... I should say, it SHOULDN'T be). Do your research, put up with some crud, and learn what you need to do.

As of now, we know nothing about you though, so it's kind of hard to help. We need details, details, details! And be open to the possibility that you'll never get a printer. Or that you may get one. Just be open minded about stuff you still have to learn about.

My $0.03 for the day.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member

Your feelings get hurt that easy?... come on.:tongue:

What type of work are you looking to do with it for starters?
Bright aqueous interior prints?
Long term exterior solvent prints?
Maybe spot color thermal resin prints on metallic & reflective?

A little info goes a long way.:thumb:

Fun Signs

Basically what I am looking for is a machine to do outdoor and indoor decals. Is that thermal resin for outdoor? Not really sure how to explain it any other way. This is why I posted in the NEWBIE section. I can tell you this the decal size will be no larger then 15"x15". I may also do t-shirt tranfers thats about it.

Kevin T

If all you want to do is print decals look at a Gerber Edge 2(used) or an FX, good for indoor or outdoor. For the most part it won't require lamination. But each has it's own unique quirks. What you asked gets asked almost every day. Search the various sign sites, check all the manufacturer sites, figure out what your budget is and then maybe you could ask specific questions about a particular machine and get good answer in return. That isn't harsh my friend it's just common sense and probably common courtesy as well.

Good luck with your search.

oh ya the Edge has a limit of 11.8" height of print x length

Fun Signs

One other thing what software would be needed. I use corel draw now and like that, But was not sure if I would be better off with something else.

Kevin T

Well the Edge will require specific software and any printer will require a rip. Most printers come with some sort of basic rip, but now you're going to get into colour correction and profiling. As has already been said this is not as simple as "I want I need I push the button". Do some due diligence.