• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prismjet Extra 38/Falcon Outdoor Jr. - Puddle of Ink

thmooch

Jackpine, when you say "from the cap with the heads on the caps" do you mean when the carriage is in the "Home" position? If so, do I need to remove the control panel to access this area? I am not exactly sure what part to take loose to use the syringe to pull ink.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding this machine and some of the parts terminology, I just don't want to make things worse.

I have the Maintenance Manual if anyone knows if there is a diagram in there that would show me the correct area I need to be looking in.

J Hill Designs

should be able to unhook the waste line and pull from there...yeah with the head parked on the caps (so the ink will get pulled through the heads into your syringe)

Bannerday

What's the date on the cartridge?

Mutoh has new design that I think started in April and Rockhoppers are
having problems with it.

Put in a new magenta cartridge on Friday and I'm having all kinds of problems.

Don't want to be a thread pirate so won't go into them here. But if your using a new cartridge that could be part of the problem

It doesn't explain the original puddle but it might explain the no magenta issue.

thmooch

This started with a cartridge that was almost empty. I have a new one installed now.

Do I need to take off the front panel to do the syringe on the waste line? How do I know which line?

gbarker

I think your issue is a ink flow problem. Even if the cartridge was low you shouldn't have run a damper dry. The two powerful cleanings should have done something also. I would do a few things at this point.

1) I'd replace the damper. Run a couple cleanings.

or

2) Carefully remover the damper off the head. Press a syringe with a short (6" or so) length of tube to the bottom where it connects to the head. Draw ink through the line. The damper should fill about halfway. Pull ink into the syringe and get what air you can out of the line.

3) I think you really need to check the pump. Take the control panel off and look in. You are looking for excessive ink on the white gear next to the tubing.

Compilla

When running the cleaning cycles , Did you notice ink flow into the waste bottle?

It could be a leak on the Damper, busted O ring or a hole or kink on the M Ink line ...:rock-n-roll:

Last edited:

thmooch

sorry I have not updated. I kinda had to put this off to the side. Had to leave town. I hope to give an update this evening or tomorrow. Last thin i did before leaving town was to run a print, just to keep the ink flowing in the 3 other colors. I am going to pick up some tubing today to put on the syringe.

I will also run another cleaning cycle and watch the waste lines.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

thmooch

update...

I picked up the tubing for the syringe. hooked it to the line that fills the damper. 5 draws with the syringe, no Magenta. cleanings are pushing ink to the waste bottle(green in the color line, cyan & yellow I'm guessing). Parked the head, held the carriage while pulling ink through the waste line. Ran another Strong cleaning. Test print, no Magenta.

Is it time to pull it apart?

gbarker

If you are sure the seal from between the tubing and the ink line was a good connection then I can only come to the conclusion that there is a leak somewhere from that point back. I think it is time to take the covers off and start looking around. You might be "lucky" and see a puddle adjacent to the leak...

I would do the same test you just did at every connection from the damper back. Also listen for air leaks when drawing on the syringe.

gerald

Did the machine sit a long time between prints? If so, the Magenta head could be clogged. If so, it may have to be removed and soaked in cleaning fluid. Sometimes thay can be a nightmare. You almost have to consider evry possibility and start at the most likely and work your way thru.

If the head is clogged with dry ink, no ammount of auto cleaning will fix it. It'll have to be soaked.

If the head was dammaged, when it struck the banner, it could have damaged it allowing the ink to leak out of the damper. This wouldn't allow any new ink to be drawn in because it would not hold vaccum.

Good luck.

thmooch

just a quick detail to update...today the machine says "(K) ink low", which is pretty self explanatory. I just wanted to include this as at the beginning of this adventure there was no warning of low Magenta. I don't know if this has any relevance but wanted to include all details.

Still running test prints to keep ink flowing in the 3 colors that are printing.

ok, any tidbits of info I should know when taking this machine apart. I have the manual, just wanted to see if there is anything I need to particularly careful around.

I appreciate everyone sticking with me on this...

32bantum

The machines are relativley simple once you understand the ink flow. There are a bunch of screws involved but most just hole the various covers in place. Keep up with where everything goes for when you put it back together.

thmooch

update...I have the machine apart and was able to draw the Magenta up to the damper. It is at the damper but not in as the tube would not fit in the bottom of the damper. So, at this point do I need to put everything back together before I fire it up?

Cleaning cycles first?

Attachments

• DSC00322.jpg
    DSC00322.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 83

artbot

damper filling

do you mean the tube that you used to draw ink at the pump doesn't fit the damper? you'll have to take the tube off and press the head of the syringe firmly up against the damper end, leaning it back so the ink fills the top of the damper, thus drawing air out first.

if you have an old head take apart the head adapter and stick it on the end of the rubber tube and use it as a plug to seal the interior of the damper end.

pic attached:

Attachments

• syringes.jpg
    syringes.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 84

thmooch

update...(crossing fingers, knocking on wood and thinking I must be living right) MAGENTA!!!

After drawing the ink to the damper, I parked the head(tightly held in place) then draw from the waste line. Ran a strong cleaning cycle and did a test print...MAGENTA!

Now, before I get to excited. I did not replace anything, no leaks to be found. Might I have an air leak some where or something starting to go bad? Did I actually run out or Magenta in the cartridge and the machine did not tell me(some type of sensor not working?)

Well, I am going to run some prints and see what happens. I will update in a week or so if things are still running smoothly. Sooner if not.

Thanks to all!!!

Attachments

• DSC00323.jpg
    DSC00323.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 80

gbarker

Did I actually run out or Magenta in the cartridge and the machine did not tell me(some type of sensor not working?)
Thanks to all!!!

IF you didn't find a leak my guess is the cart ran out the the sensor didn't register the empty cartridge. I had that happen to me once or twice.

Glad everything seems to be up and running.